Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

New Sub in the Works

At this time these are just known as the "X10 and X12" speakers. The photos are of the first prototypes. I am already working on revising the prototypes with several important improvements.

These are geared towards "daily beating" and are made to be used as a pair with either an SAE-1000D or SAZ-1500D. Sound quality is good, but output at moderate power levels is the number one goal.

Sundown_Protos.jpg

* Basket with extremely long clearances. The motor also has enough clearance to travel over 33mm rearward before bottoming out, this is well beyond linear coil travel limits.

Sundown_Protos2.jpg

* Vented pole and vented gap for increased power handling.

Sundown_Protos3.jpg

* The cone is a fiberglass weave with paper composite backing. It's quite light and has the stiffness I am looking for. The surround is a rigid "high profile" foam surround to increase cone area while maintaining the necessary travel.

These speakers are Dual 4-ohm 3" voice coils, designed with small box requirements in mind.

10" Sealed = 0.4 - 0.75 ft^3

12" Sealed = 1.0 - 1.25 ft^3

10" Vented = 0.75 - 1.25 ft^3 @ 30 - 35 Hz

12" Vented = 2.00 - 2.50 ft^3 @ 30 - 35 Hz

T/S parameters are TBA as the final production units will have slightly varied parameters from these prototypes as I am increasing the voice coil length by 10mm. This will change a few things around, but will not substantially alter the box requirements.

I tested the prototypes with 600 RMS on sine waves for 1 full hour, they passed the thermal test no problem. The final product will be tested with 750 RMS for two hours as the target power rating is 750 RMS. With the changes I have made to the motor and coil, 750 watts RMS should present no problem whatsoever to these speakers.

I am not going to reveal all of my changes to the motor, I want to keep some things as a surprise for release.

MSRP pricing is TBA but should be somewhere between 200 and 250 dollars for the 10" and 12" models. If anything, it could be lower than those projections. A 15" model is planned for later release but no details are available at this time.

---------

UPDATE 9-5-2007:

For those new to the thread the X series design has been totally re-vamped from it's introduction in this thread. The new design is to be rated for 1000 watts RMS, has much more excursion, and will take far more abuse. All of these changes were expensive but very much worthwhile. The pricing for the X12, which will be the first size to debut, will be $399 -- make no mistake, it will be worth every penny, the revised design will be very impressive to say the least!

Higher power handling, lower distortion, superior cooling for long term reliability, more linear excursion, twice as many spiders to keep everything centered under the highest loads, and the list goes on. A new prototype is under construction and has been fully computer optimized for the best performance possible. Small enclosure size has been retained as well :)

The revised prototype should be ready in 4 weeks or so.

Interesting. :)

looks sweet :slayer:

im digging that basket...

the motor look cool simular to the sub i have now.

P1010316.jpg

Indeed, it is likely that company gets parts from the same supplier.

Of course, as you know, the internal geometry can vary greatly :) I've changed the internals of the motor dramatically for the next revision without changing the external appearance whatsoever.

Don't stretch yourself so thin, Jacob. We don't need any more subs, how about a nice 5-channel in the form factor of the 100.4? ;)

I love the fact of seeing some higher output lower power subs, When I first got into this we were throwin 300- 700 to our subs and were completly amazed. Now It seems almost everybodys system is 1500+ watts and alot of them aren't 1500+ loud or at least it seems. So I'm looking forward to seeing the performance of these. I love the cone/surround combo.

im diggin them. 15"... yesss!!! :)

Don't stretch yourself so thin, Jacob. We don't need any more subs, how about a nice 5-channel in the form factor of the 100.4? ;)

Dealers want a sub in this power range MUCH more than a 5-channel, so these are first :) Other amps are still in the works, but a 5-channel is not on top of the list. The SAE-50.4, SAE-75.2, SAX-250.2, and an SAE-1500D will come first.

I love the fact of seeing some higher output lower power subs, When I first got into this we were throwin 300- 700 to our subs and were completly amazed. Now It seems almost everybodys system is 1500+ watts and alot of them aren't 1500+ loud or at least it seems. So I'm looking forward to seeing the performance of these. I love the cone/surround combo.

It's not the size of your amp, it's how you use it. :)

You going to put logos on the cones Jacob? I think a nice silver Sundown logo would look awesome with that cone. They look great.

You going to put logos on the cones Jacob? I think a nice silver Sundown logo would look awesome with that cone. They look great.

Yessir, logos will be on the cone for production. These are protos so they don't get logos yet :)

Yessir, logos will be on the cone for production. These are protos so they don't get logos yet :)

Damn it , no hello kitty :(

Very impressed with these overall.Curious to see the finalized product & specs.Seems like a ground pounding version of the TC Sounds oem 10s and 12s.

Where's the NightShade Jake????

It is taking a while to get the updated coil. I'm looking at that one sometime next year due to the difficulty in nailing down a coil and the expense of making such a large driver.

Sound quality is good, but output at moderate power levels is the number one goal.

:(

Sound quality is good, but output at moderate power levels is the number one goal.

:(

Don't worry, other drivers that I will do later will be more SQ oriented. But 90% of the market wants a speaker that sounds "good enough" and gets loud. I would say these sound better than most "regular" woofers out there, but they won't hold up to the SQ offerings from Stereo Integrity and the likes :)

I'll leak a bit more info for you Jim... it will use a bit of aluminum in the motor, if that makes you feel better ;)

*laughs*

Hopefully soon Steve... my next protos are due in a few weeks. I'm being difficult so it is taking a while to meet my specs. Hopefully they turn out nicely and I can start production in the near future.

will part's be avilable when they blow? or would we need to send them in?

You act like you plan on tearing some up *laughs*

Yes, I'm working on getting parts with them as well.