SoCalSQ

New Zed 4x100 Amp

I spoke with Steve about what kind of amps he will be making in the future. I am frankly amazed that the #1 complaint from customers about the Old Zeds was price. I mean come on ! I have 2 Gladius, a Deuce, and a Minilith running a 4 way Dynaudio setup fed from the alpine F1 head and processor. It sounds absolutely incredible. My $1200 worth of amps clearly blow away amps from other manufacturers whose product costs 2-5 times a much. I will not mention names but I compared other amps with his with the same head and speakers and the Zeds outperformed or hung with all the high dollar brands.

I sent one of his Gladius amps into Car Audio Magazine to be reviewed and the tester said "this is one of the best amps I have ever tested, not to mention one of the least expensive" Unfortunately then didn't get a chance to run the review before tehy folded, but I am hoping they will run it once their online mag gets rolling.

Steve has gone with a new design that tried to keep costs and size to a minimum to meet what he feels is the consumer demand. But this isn't what I am after. I honestly care less about cost (to a degree of course) and space than how my music sounds.

He has also told me of a design for a 4x100 amp that cuts no corners and is an all out bad ass amp in the $600 range. He has chosen NOT to manufacture it becuse of customers complaining about costs. For those of you who complain about teh cost of his amps take a look at say a 4x100 Zapco competition amp's MSRP and get back to me. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would be first in line to pay $600 for this amp. When you look at what's on the market, its sad. The amps are either Chineese junk or overpriced American/Eurpean stuff.

Lets show some support for the no holds barred 4x100 and see if we can't get the design off the drawing board and into production.

I have talked to Stephen a few times about the new stuff. I know that his new designs will cut the price naturally, by reducing the amount of metal needed to build the heat sink. Just don't want people to think he is cutting costs by using cheap parts.

I have talked to Stephen a few times about the new stuff. I know that his new designs will cut the price naturally, by reducing the amount of metal needed to build the heat sink. Just don't want people to think he is cutting costs by using cheap parts.

I was just going to ask if there was any updates or ETA's on the new stuff. ;)

Edited by bromo

I believe the cost of the heat sink on the gladius is about $25, which does account for 10% (with burr browns) of the cost.

Recent improvements in technology and improvements in design account for the ability to produce amps cheaper but at the same quality.

The point of the post however wasn't to talk down the new series, it was to try to find support for Steve to produce an amp he has already designed, but isn't going to make because people bitch about price. I am sure the the new amps will be every bit as good as the older series, if not better.

When you have a person like Steve who basically makes amps as a public service (because trust me he DOESN'T make a profit and if he does its usually under 20% of manufacturing costs, which doesnt include his overheads) and refuses to have distributors and car audio shops selling his stuff to avoid a 400% mark-up, it just amazes me that anyone can complain about receiving one of the best made amps available made and designed by a legend in the car audio industry whose designs have consistently been top notch.

I hope some folks can voice support for the 4x100. I can tell you, I'd pay in advance.

I was just going to ask if there was any updates or ETA's on the new stuff. ;)

I have not heard an ETA.

It's an unfortunate part of society now. Hence the reason we get everything from China. People don't care if it breaks; it's so cheap they can just throw it away and buy new.

The newer people in the audio industry don't know about quality. They just know what the big chain stores feed them and the mass marketing giants of the larger companies.

That being said, the last gen of Zed Audio amps were an absolute steal.

Mr. Mantz is selling amps just by his reputation and those that know him, know what they are buying. Those who don't just complain about the price.

People who care about quality will pay the price for ZED amps. His amps even the old ones are still circulated on EBAY and stand the test of time. For a serious person who knows quality, they will not mind spending the extra money for a ZED amp. BTW the prices of his amps are in the mid range which to me is very reasonable.

Very true. If he builds the new line, they should fly off the shelf.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Draconia when they were available :(

Really curious to see this new line-up.

i own an amp that was merely designed by stephen for us acoustics. the thing has been a tank for the past 5 years. i would gladly patronize zed if i had the need for an amp and the opportunity arose.

Heck, my 2075 and p706 are still moving along very nicely. :)

I would definately be down for a 4x100 amp by Zed. I currently own a bunch of ESX's that I love, a bunch of Zed Branded amps (3 Deuce's, and 2 Gladius'), a bunch of USA series US acoustics, a cadence zed amp, even a couple old Hifonics VII and VIII.

I'd be first on line to order the 4 channel. The only thing I could want more would be a big 5 channel, possibly with staggard outputs. Something like 75x2+150x2+500x1 with the ability to go active fronts and a sub, or power a passive Front/rear/sub setup.

At any rate, i'm all about Zed's amps. You'll have to pry my ESX's and Zed branded amps from my cold dead fingers. :)

I just called Zed today to see when new line will be rolling. Still not sure thought they would have them out by now. For quality 600 is a steal.

I would definately be down for a 4x100 amp by Zed. I currently own a bunch of ESX's that I love, a bunch of Zed Branded amps (3 Deuce's, and 2 Gladius'), a bunch of USA series US acoustics, a cadence zed amp, even a couple old Hifonics VII and VIII.

I'd be first on line to order the 4 channel. The only thing I could want more would be a big 5 channel, possibly with staggard outputs. Something like 75x2+150x2+500x1 with the ability to go active fronts and a sub, or power a passive Front/rear/sub setup.

At any rate, i'm all about Zed's amps. You'll have to pry my ESX's and Zed branded amps from my cold dead fingers. :)

I agree on the 5channel idea. Would be very cool, but I am not sure he would build it since the Leviathan never passed into production. As for the ZED amps you have, I have a crow bar ready. ;)

trying to buy a ESX 175.2 right now...well soon

WRX did you get my message off DIYMA??

I'd be happy with a smaller size Zed 4 x 100 amp. The original Class D design was intriguing but I'd be happy as long as it isn't too big so it would fit my amp rack :)

So what's the bottom line about this model folks? Is it a yay or a nay? I've been in the market for a 4x100 amp and Zed is at the top of a very short list. I'm sorry but I can't settle for a Draconia-ish model. I'm not dogging on it but 4 x70'ish is not enough for me and whole lotta people. I was one click away of getting an Alpine PDX-4.100 but this topic steered me clearly away from it.

We won't know for sure until Mr Mantz himself makes an announcement.

Although I do appreciate the fact that Steve is making such high quality amps for a comparatively cheap price, I personally cannot justify spending $600 on a 4x100 amp when my tweeters and midbasses wouldn't even come to $300.

Then again, the amp would probably last a long time, so in the long run, it might not be such a bad investment.

Although I do appreciate the fact that Steve is making such high quality amps for a comparatively cheap price, I personally cannot justify spending $600 on a 4x100 amp when my tweeters and midbasses wouldn't even come to $300.

Then again, the amp would probably last a long time, so in the long run, it might not be such a bad investment.

I think we shouldn't stress about price until Mr. Mantz himself actually releases it. ;)

Being that the Draconia was $370 and 70x4, i'd guess that a 100x4 amp wouldn't be more than $500, possibly less. Definately take Denim's advice and don't jump to conclusions.

Avoid:Jumptoconclusions.jpg

I agree on the 5channel idea. Would be very cool, but I am not sure he would build it since the Leviathan never passed into production. As for the ZED amps you have, I have a crow bar ready. ;)

i can only dream for a Leviathan. man, i will be so all over it.

Price wise, it sounded like to me, that his costs would be down as would the MSRP due to the design changes.