iLLlegal

2 RL-p 12"box

well first off Hello to all the people on this forum. this is my fist post and I want to figure some stuff out. OK first off I am a "nood" when it comes to box building. and I have come to the decision to purchase 2 12" Rl-p's because well they look like damn sexxxy subs and people have said good things about them..NOTHING BAD!!!. and the price is great. anyhoo.

I need help getting box specs for my pathfinder. I have no clue on tuning a box. and what would the best tuning be for them. in a ported box.

1992pathfindertrunkspecs1qv.th.gif

That is a little drawing of what my specs are for my pathfinder. if anyone can help me design a box for 2 12"s ported. [i dont know what the best frequency would be for them] 28-32hz??? I want to keep it 19" tall thats about it. the amp.. I am probably going to go with a Ed NINe.1 1200x1 1ohm. and another quick question. lets say the box was tuned to 28hz and i played a 20hz tone. does this make the sub bottom out or what not. just kinda curiouse...

Thanks for any help people post.......peace.

well, with 600wrms each, i'd say u'd be good with about 2ft^3 per sub tuned anywhere from 28 to 34hz, depending upon if u want more spl or sq...

i ran mine in 2ft^3, tuned to 34hz with 32in^2 of port and it was awesome! i alos ran it in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz, and while it sounded really good, it really lacked up higher (more because of the box then the sub)

here's a basic design...

14"t x 38"w x 24"d

port is 12.5"t x 5.5"w x 30.5"l, tuned to ~34hz

this works out to 4.2ft^3 after displacements and allows for bracing...the tuning was figured for 4ft^3 even, so with no bracing, u're tuned a lil bit lower...

u'll sound really good with this..and be pretty damn loud as well....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

welcome to SSA

isnt 34hz a little high.?? I really dont know what tuning would sound the best but ya.......mabey ill give those specs a shot. thx

34 Hz isn't too high for the in-car environment since the low-end experiences a 12dB/octave rise in response below 60~80 Hz that you get thanks to cabin gain... not to mention music typically doesn't get into the extremely low frequencies anyway. For an in-home setup, I would suggest tuning quite a bit lower since cabin gain will not be nearly as pronounced.

mike explained it pretty well...

anything below 34 hz, IMO, and ur losing output for very little sq gain, if any. i've had my rl-p in both 34 and 28 and quite frankly, liked it a ton more in 34hz. still gets low, sounds extremely nice and gets sill loud.

now this is only my opinion based upon my experience, but both the rl-p and xxx got muddy in the 28hz box as volume and frequencies rose. yes, the box was half a cube larger then the 34hz box, so i'm sure that played some into it. but i'm just not a fan of sub 30hz tuning...u wanna go below that, go sealed.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

mrray13 quick question

port5ec.th.gif

Yes well I was looking at the dimentions of the port and realized it was kinda long. sorry for the bad drawing but this is what I have come to.....v1 drawing with the port firing out the side...wonder how that would sound. or v2 with that longer inner port. if its V2 ugh that might take me awile to draw up all those dimentions.. anyway if you have info on that.

and second. about the internal braceing. lets say if i dont want to use any can i just shave off a couple inchs on the side or the depth.

thx for yur time :P

well, the labrynth port in v2 will work, but an"L" shaped port would be better....

u can fire it out the side if ya want, won't really "sound" different, may or may not be as loud..

bracing is up to u. it won't hurt to have some, to keep flexng to a minimum, but it's wholly up to u. and personally, if u don't want to use the bracing, i'd still leave the box as is size wise.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

oooo right L port.. totally slipped my mind.. thanks...and xtreme....if mike says to tune it higher i would go for it :D as i think im going to tune it to the 34hz now....thanks for alll the help and quick responds .....

illegal, ur welcome...

xtreme..it depends upon personal taste more. me? no, i wouldn't tune that low. i'd go sealed. some have tuned that low and like it.

to me, 34hz is just about a perfect number for tuning 12's and 15's. low enough to sound good, high enough to get loud. for 10's i like to go up a couple of cycles, a couple more for 8's and drop down a couple for 18's. except in the case of my 18, which is tuned to 36hz.

so, it's up to u and what ur after. i'd suggest 34hz, but hey, u could very well love it at 28hz. email mike and see what he says..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

mrray thanks for the reply. i guess im kind of new over here but ive been on CA for a while. yeah i think i will email mike see what he says the best tuning for it is. on the site i think it says that its 34 if i remember currectly. and im sure that you have been around car audio and SS stuff for a while so im not going to undermind your judgement and go with the lower tuning 34 will sound good.

hey kent, do you feel I should change my port and tune to 34 before the RL-p gets here? if so how much should I adjust?

hey kent, do you feel I should change my port and tune to 34 before the RL-p gets here? if so how much should I adjust?

aaron, how'd the mag sound in it? if u liked it, i'd give the rl-p a run in it before adjusting...if, after trying it, u don't like it, we'll get it figured out.

xtreme...no problem man! glad i can help. tuning is just such an individual preferance, sq as a whole is. but in my experience, 34hz is just about the perfect tuning for all out sql. but listen to mike, imean, these are his subs...lol...and there are plenty of ppl here with more knowledge then myself...so ifone of them suggests a lower tuning, don't think i'll get mad because u folllowed their advice...in the end, only one person has to be happy..u!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hi again..anyway I found a good deal on an orion xtreme amp. 1400x1 bridged at 4ohm. I think im going to go with that?????

anyway is this still a good power range for the 2 12" rl-p's

would i need to change the box specs or keep it the same.

also my vehical is a 92 pathfinder. I believe it is a 70amp alternator. is this enough power for this amp/sub settup imgoing for. or do i need more juice??

thanks for any help

The two RL-p12's will be fine with that power, and will still work well in your box. thumbup.gif

So far as your amp drawin' too much of a load, it may and it may not. I'd say give it a shot without any upgrades first, 'cause you very well may not have to upgrade any of the electrical components and may as well save the time/money if that's the case. If you have everything runnin' and are noticing dimming problems or what not, try the Big 3.. and if you're having further issues then you may want to consider grabbin' a deep-cycle battery and new alt.

Hi again..anyway I found a good deal on an orion xtreme amp. 1400x1 bridged at 4ohm. I think im going to go with that?????

anyway is this still a good power range for the 2 12" rl-p's

would i need to change the box specs or keep it the same.

also  my vehical is a 92 pathfinder. I believe it is a 70amp alternator. is this enough power for this amp/sub settup imgoing for. or do i need more juice??

thanks for any help

like mike just mentioned, that would be sweet power for the pair...

i'd recommend the deep cycle battery anyway...it won't do anything but help the vehicle, even without the sytem in it....then if u have troubles, try the BIG 3, after that..well, extra batteries, maybe a battcap or ho alt...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: