sundownz

Sundown Amplifier FAQ

1) My amps work fine un-strapped but go into protection when strapped and/or my amps are stuck in protection. - 3/8/07

I have had three customers with this complaint. All three of them replaced their RCA cables to remedy the problem. Some model Stinger and Memphis RCA cables will NOT work with the SAZ-1500D, *especially* for the jumper RCA from master to slave based on the feedback I have received. Be advised... this should be the FIRST thing you check if your strapped pair is going into protection. It will usually be the slave going into protection if this is the case... but not always.

------------------------------

2) I want to strap my amp at the lowest possible load, what is it? - 3/13/07

Quite frankly I recommend to run the amps at 1 ohm each and 2 ohms strapped. One hundred percent of any problems people see with protection and overheating result from loads under 1 ohm per amplifier... I have yet to hear a single compaint at 1 ohm operation. The lowest officially supported strapped load is 2 ohms. Running at a load of under 1 ohm un-strapped or 2 ohms strapped (1 ohm per amp) will void your warranty coverage.

As of March 31st, 2007 the SAZ-1500D will not carry 0.5 ohm warranty coverage. All amplifiers sold BEFORE that date are still covered by the 0.5 ohm warranty as described in THIS thread.

3) I am looking at the manual but still can't figure out how to strap the amps. - 3/13/07

This seems to be a common problem so it's not just you. I hooked up the wiring on a pair and snapped some actual photos to help you out:

SAZ-1500D_Strapping1.jpg

The master amplifier gets the input from the head-unit and a mono RCA from "BR Out" connected.

The slave amplifier ONLY gets "BR In" connected from the master.

ALL controls are handled on the master, setting anything on the slave is not necessary.

SAZ-1500D_Strapping2.jpg

This picture should be pretty self explanatory.

* The slave takes the "-" connection(s)

* The master takes the "+" connection(s)

* The "-" terminals of the amps are hooked together.

You don't need to use both sets of "+" on the amps. They are there for flexibility. While you should always connect both "-" terminals on the amps together using large wire as general procedure it is not absolutely necessary to use both sets of "+" terminals. They are connected together internally in parallel.

When strapped the MASTER controls ALL functions of both amps.

-----------------------------

4) Hey, doesn't the SAE-1000D accept 1/0 Power wire? It doesn't fit, what gives? - 7/3/07

Print materials have a mis-print stating 1/0 power wire will fit. In reality the power / ground terminals are identical to the SAX-100.2 and 100.4 models -- meaning they are designed for 4 gauge wire. You can trim 1/0 wire to fit, use a "reducer," or go through a distribution block to run 4 gauge to the amp if you already have 1/0 ran.

5) I can't find my invoice but I need to send my amplifier in for warranty. - 4/9/08

You need some sort of invoice to prove your date of purchase PERIOD. I can not play detective for you and figure out when and where you bought the amp, the warranty terms clearly state a need for an invoice of some kind from your authorized dealer. A cart check-out page (listing what the item is) and a Paypal receipt are acceptable from an online dealer - but you MUST sent in SOMETHING.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

6) I am sending my amplifier in for warranty, how should I pack it? - 4/9/08

DO NOT send the amplifier in it's cosmetic packing only! I repeat, DO NOT send it in the cosmetic packing only. You MUST put the cosmetic box inside of a second box or, chances are, it will be damaged in shipping. Per the warranty terms I am NOT responsible for damage due to poor packing from the customer and you WILL be charged for repair or replacement if it is beyond repair from damage. Insurance will NOT cover an amplifier packed in a cosmetic box, it is considered poor packing practice.

7) Can I use the BR IN and BR OUT connectors for daisy chaining amps? Do they work like regular outputs? - 4/21/08

NO, they can not be used as regular outputs for daisy chaining amps. DO NOT do this.

The BR OUT if to be connected to the BR IN of a slave amp, when strapped, ONLY.

DO NOT put signal INTO the BR OUT connector.

8) Why are there two pairs of connections on the mono-block Class-D amps? How do I bridge them? - 4/21/08

You do not bridge them, it is a mono-block amplifier.

The connectors are in parallel inside the amp. If you hook 4 ohms to each one, you get two ohms. If you hook 2 ohms to each one, you get one ohm.

They are also there for strapping the amps, as pictured above.

More stuff coming when I get time and/or more questions that need answered.

I know you recommend 8 ga wire in between the amps, but this is by far excessive. Since it is the shortest run of wire and all the wire carries the same amount of current, if you are using 10 or 12 ga to the sub that is all you would need here.

I know you recommend 8 ga wire in between the amps, but this is by far excessive. Since it is the shortest run of wire and all the wire carries the same amount of current, if you are using 10 or 12 ga to the sub that is all you would need here.

Somewhat true, but not fully.

Theres a simple reason why to use a minimum of 8awg wire for the negative. The internal wiring in the amp that goes from the pc board to the speaker output connections runs a 8awg wire.

Going from 8awg wire in the pcboard to the speaker connectors, then running 10 or 12awg from speaker connector to speaker connector, then the 8awg from the speaker connector to the pc board is going to cause a little resistance.

resistance is never good in any case unless your actually wanting resistance.

But Im pretty sure any manufacture that produces a strappable amp will tell you to use a minimum of 8awg wire for strapping. I know companys like rockford say to use 8awg and to keep the negitive bridge wire under 15 or 16 inches in length.

Running 2 8awg wires from both negative outputs is a little excessive, but it will not hurt you any and may just help out in the end. After all a good wiring job is the backbone to a good stereo system.

I noticed the whole deal with the stinger and monster cable rca thing, Id really like to know why some amplifiers are not compatible. I have some custom made cables that do not like to work with my amps. Is it something the way the cables are made?

Edited by audiofanaticz

I am not sure why it is some cables and not others - one would assume there is a standard, but there must not be. The center pin doesn't seem to make good contact on cables that don't work properly.

What is the max length of wire that can be used for the jumper when strapping amps?

Just make it as short as possible - if using dual 8 gauge it could be fairly long without detrimental effect.

What is the max length of wire that can be used for the jumper when strapping amps?

Just make it as short as possible - if using dual 8 gauge it could be fairly long without detrimental effect.

Is that loss of watts or damaged amps? So 20 or so inches with dual 8 gauge wire should be fine?

5) I can't find my invoice but I need to send my amplifier in for warranty. - 4/9/08

You need some sort of invoice to prove your date of purchase PERIOD. I can not play detective for you and figure out when and where you bought the amp, the warranty terms clearly state a need for an invoice of some kind from your authorized dealer. A cart check-out page (listing what the item is) and a Paypal receipt are acceptable from an online dealer - but you MUST sent in SOMETHING.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

I don't feel like playing detective either. I posted on here right after I bought a 100.2 from dbr that i did not get an invoice with it. I also sent them an e-mail and they responded that they were busy but would send me one when they had a chance. That was 6 months ago and I'm still waiting. In fact I had forgot all about it until I read this thread today.

My amps run with zero problems and I don't forsee any but if they ever did need repair I would be seriously disappointed to be told my warranty is no good without the invoice i never got.

1) My amps work fine un-strapped but go into protection when strapped and/or my amps are stuck in protection. - 3/8/07

I have had three customers with this complaint. All three of them replaced their RCA cables to remedy the problem. Some model Stinger and Memphis RCA cables will NOT work with the SAZ-1500D, *especially* for the jumper RCA from master to slave based on the feedback I have received. Be advised... this should be the FIRST thing you check if your strapped pair is going into protection. It will usually be the slave going into protection if this is the case... but not always.

I've ran all differant types of rca's strapped 1500d@.7 had no problems check installs they need voltage

2) I want to strap my amp at the lowest possible load, what is it? - 3/13/07

Quite frankly I recommend to run the amps at 1 ohm each and 2 ohms strapped. One hundred percent of any problems people see with protection and overheating result from loads under 1 ohm per amplifier... I have yet to hear a single compaint at 1 ohm operation. The lowest officially supported strapped load is 2 ohms. Running at a load of under 1 ohm un-strapped or 2 ohms strapped (1 ohm per amp) will void your warranty coverage.

As of March 31st, 2007 the SAZ-1500D will not carry 0.5 ohm warranty coverage. All amplifiers sold BEFORE that date are still covered by the 0.5 ohm warranty as described in THIS thread.

3) I am looking at the manual but still can't figure out how to strap the amps. - 3/13/07

This seems to be a common problem so it's not just you. I hooked up the wiring on a pair and snapped some actual photos to help you out:

SAZ-1500D_Strapping1.jpg

The master amplifier gets the input from the head-unit and a mono RCA from "BR Out" connected.

The slave amplifier ONLY gets "BR In" connected from the master.

ALL controls are handled on the master, setting anything on the slave is not necessary.

SAZ-1500D_Strapping2.jpg

This picture should be pretty self explanatory.

* The slave takes the "-" connection(s)

* The master takes the "+" connection(s)

* The "-" terminals of the amps are hooked together.

You don't need to use both sets of "+" on the amps. They are there for flexibility. While you should always connect both "-" terminals on the amps together using large wire as general procedure it is not absolutely necessary to use both sets of "+" terminals. They are connected together internally in parallel.

When strapped the MASTER controls ALL functions of both amps.

4) Hey, doesn't the SAE-1000D accept 1/0 Power wire? It doesn't fit, what gives? - 7/3/07

Print materials have a mis-print stating 1/0 power wire will fit. In reality the power / ground terminals are identical to the SAX-100.2 and 100.4 models -- meaning they are designed for 4 gauge wire. You can trim 1/0 wire to fit, use a "reducer," or go through a distribution block to run 4 gauge to the amp if you already have 1/0 ran.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

6) I am sending my amplifier in for warranty, how should I pack it? - 4/9/08

DO NOT send the amplifier in it's cosmetic packing only! I repeat, DO NOT send it in the cosmetic packing only. You MUST put the cosmetic box inside of a second box or, chances are, it will be damaged in shipping. Per the warranty terms I am NOT responsible for damage due to poor packing from the customer and you WILL be charged for repair or replacement if it is beyond repair from damage. Insurance will NOT cover an amplifier packed in a cosmetic box, it is considered poor packing practice.

7) Can I use the BR IN and BR OUT connectors for daisy chaining amps? Do they work like regular outputs? - 4/21/08

NO, they can not be used as regular outputs for daisy chaining amps. DO NOT do this.

The BR OUT if to be connected to the BR IN of a slave amp, when strapped, ONLY.

DO NOT put signal INTO the BR OUT connector.

8) Why are there two pairs of connections on the mono-block Class-D amps? How do I bridge them? - 4/21/08

You do not bridge them, it is a mono-block amplifier.

The connectors are in parallel inside the amp. If you hook 4 ohms to each one, you get two ohms. If you hook 2 ohms to each one, you get one ohm.

They are also there for strapping the amps, as pictured above.

More stuff coming when I get time and/or more questions that need answered.

on a dual 2 ohm sub, what wattage would i see with a 4 ohm load at the amps..... would it be 1600 watts.... 2 ohms per amp.....

i know, a little unpractical..... just temporary , sorta just curious....

oh, sorry , two sundown audio saz1500d amps.

thanks for your time!

chop

sup jake have a question how do stay warrenty you have had my amp fix before but i got no papers from db -r when i got it back i got mine from mike singer i talk to you all the time oh yeah dont forget i want my spot on the new team

sup jake have a question how do stay warrenty you have had my amp fix before but i got no papers from db -r when i got it back i got mine from mike singer i talk to you all the time oh yeah dont forget i want my spot on the new team

You will need some kind of document to show original purchase date.