Sign in to follow this  
Fi Car Audio

New options for SSD and Q series subs

I just finished adding a new option for the SSD and Q series subs.

This new option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack for a little extra mechanical ability.

All of these new features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application.

Its just another way of tuning and tailoring your subs to your exact needs.

For those interested in a retrofit... we can only add the aluminum compression plug to the pole during a recone. We can not add the 6 axial cooling channels to an already assembled and magnetized motor. The addition of the aluminum piece will aid in cooling, but at about a 25 - 35% reduction vs having both the plug and cooling channels. The retrofit and plug is $25.

Thanks...

Scott

Scott so the extra spider and changed spider pack is not available for subs already machined ?

The emails i shared with you (about my SSD)

which option would be best for me (theabunai@gmail.com)

and the cost (i'll be happy to pay for the cost of mailing the sub to and from Fi facility) if i got all options i can for my SSD's (2 12" copper coil D2)

Edited by theabunai

We already spoke about the options for your subs which include these :)

Yes, the spider packs can be retro fitted with a new recone as well. You have no worries there.

Thanks,

Scott

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

Now you make me wanna sale my subs to get new ones...

do these have any effect on the sound of the Q?

oh now your telling me that ;)

good to know that the Q's can be updated aswell , as the above asked , is there an audible difference between the options?

are the new options good for SQ ?

now you got me thinking how to get the new ones ;)

1500D each sounds good to me :fing34:

:thanx:

Very little. There is a little spec change on the drivers as we are adding a little more suspension stiffness (although we are swapping stiff spiders out for more soft ones too). The subs stay a little closer to their original suspension values and have a slightly increased qts, fs, and reduced vas. Not too much of an issue and I have found it to be beneficial in mst bassrace setups.

Now this is not something for everyone and I dont think that most people need to add it. But we are getting more and more bassrace applications where being able to stack more power to ge the sub to its linear limits for a specific application requires more than the rated RMS power (often quite a bit more) and this option allows you to push things a little harder for some applications. If you are looking for a SQ setup or just a clean daily setup within the normal limits of the subs... then there is no point.

Would I recommend it to someone with 1200W in a daily driver? I doubt it as it really wouldnt be needed and the extra 200W really isnt an issue. Its the guys that are trying to stack on 1800W and push them as hard as possible for 30 seconds (or try to all day) while voltage starts to drop and things start to get ugly towards the end.

Thanks,

Scott

Its the guys that are trying to stack on 1800W and push them as hard as possible for 30 seconds (or try to all day) while voltage starts to drop and things start to get ugly towards the end.

muahahaha there he goes talking about me again lol

this is great news scott

I am most definitely interested in this

Very little. There is a little spec change on the drivers as we are adding a little more suspension stiffness (although we are swapping stiff spiders out for more soft ones too). The subs stay a little closer to their original suspension values and have a slightly increased qts, fs, and reduced vas. Not too much of an issue and I have found it to be beneficial in mst bassrace setups.

Now this is not something for everyone and I dont think that most people need to add it. But we are getting more and more bassrace applications where being able to stack more power to ge the sub to its linear limits for a specific application requires more than the rated RMS power (often quite a bit more) and this option allows you to push things a little harder for some applications. If you are looking for a SQ setup or just a clean daily setup within the normal limits of the subs... then there is no point.

Would I recommend it to someone with 1200W in a daily driver? I doubt it as it really wouldnt be needed and the extra 200W really isnt an issue. Its the guys that are trying to stack on 1800W and push them as hard as possible for 30 seconds (or try to all day) while voltage starts to drop and things start to get ugly towards the end.

Thanks,

Scott

Just a few questions,1st does this option mean you get 3 spiders instead of the usual 2? 2nd question,is this the same spider pack as the bl? 3rd question,is there still a pole port on the back of the magnet or does the plug fill this area? Pretty much what Im saying is do they look like the btl at the magnet?Maybe a pic will help alleviate this.

scott-

sent ya acouple emails...

why ya gotta go changin stuff like that !!

now i have to changa all 16 subs !!

arggggg !!!! :puzzled:

Scott, Shawn and Nick you guys are making my day better and better.

First you guys send me a second t-shirt and set of stickers and now you add an option to make the Q's and SSD's more capable...

Well you just made the decision between Fi and Audioque that much easier.

liljohn... the options would work great for you... except that you create little bakers ovens with the heat you have in those sealed enclosures in your diamond. Youd reach the same problems after everything inside heated up to the same point... and YOU will heat it up to the same point... Couldnt be happier how relentless you are with the volume knob and demos :)

Im putting pen to paper to figure out a nice solution to that issue... I think we can solve that one and tame the hair dryer you have going on in there...

liljohn... the options would work great for you... except that you create little bakers ovens with the heat you have in those sealed enclosures in your diamond. Youd reach the same problems after everything inside heated up to the same point... and YOU will heat it up to the same point... Couldnt be happier how relentless you are with the volume knob and demos :)

Im putting pen to paper to figure out a nice solution to that issue... I think we can solve that one and tame the hair dryer you have going on in there...

Will a recone be needed in order to implement the retrofit?

Edited by bdawson72

Yes... but even with a recone we can not impliment the full option. The top plates on a new motor with this option are machined for axial cooling channels. We can not retrofit this portion of things to an existing sub (cant machine a pre magentize and assembled motor).

We can add the aluminum compression plug and the different spider pack though. Extra $25 for plug and spider change on top of normal recone price.

To another question I think I missed answering... no, the 3 spiders are not the same as on the BL. Those are stiff spiders and we use soft ones on the Q.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes... but even with a recone we can not impliment the full option. The top plates on a new motor with this option are machined for axial cooling channels. We can not retrofit this portion of things to an existing sub (cant machine a pre magentize and assembled motor).

We can add the aluminum compression plug and the different spider pack though. Extra $25 for plug and spider change on top of normal recone price.

To another question I think I missed answering... no, the 3 spiders are not the same as on the BL. Those are stiff spiders and we use soft ones on the Q.

Thanks,

Scott

This sounds very promising.

I shall annoy someone(*cough* nick *cough*) about these at a later date.

Thanx for the info,

Brandon

edit: I have one more quick question. What is the actual difference in the optional spider pack and what is currently being used. Are they slightly more stiff? Or, are you making them triple-stiff?

Edited by bdawson72

Spider packs vary at that point per series and sub size. The Q12 pack uses a mix of stiff and soft spiders while the Q15 is triple soft vs double soft as standard. I know in the past when using double soft, I have rated subs as high as 1600W with that setup... and had no real issues with it either. But, to be honest, people are buying cheaper power and starting with systems that are usualy 4th or 5th iteration setups that people were doing a few years back. With the starter system consisting of multiple amps, batts, alts, and subs yet the overall DAF hasnt really improved, I would rather do a little overkill on things vs running into more issues with peoples setups not being correct and the sub bearing the brunt of it.

Thanks,

Scott

Spider packs vary at that point per series and sub size. The Q12 pack uses a mix of stiff and soft spiders while the Q15 is triple soft vs double soft as standard. I know in the past when using double soft, I have rated subs as high as 1600W with that setup... and had no real issues with it either. But, to be honest, people are buying cheaper power and starting with systems that are usualy 4th or 5th iteration setups that people were doing a few years back. With the starter system consisting of multiple amps, batts, alts, and subs yet the overall DAF hasnt really improved, I would rather do a little overkill on things vs running into more issues with peoples setups not being correct and the sub bearing the brunt of it.

Thanks,

Scott

Interesting

And thanks

It may have been posted already but I am gonna ask anyways.

1. Can you use this cooling option with Copper Coils on the SSD?

2. With flatwind and BP, will the sub (SSD) LIKELY be able to handle upwards of 1600 watts or should I look more at the BL with cooling? (SAZ-1500D)

Yes, you can use it with the copper coils on the SSDs.

With the SAZ-1500 I would definitely look to the loaded BL. That amp is rather stout and I would feel much more comfortable with it on a BL than an SSD (with an orignal power handling of 800W RMS).

Thanks,

Scott

so a Q with the bp option will handle 1500 daily? i ask because im selling my 18" Q so when i get the VW rabbit i can put 2 Q15s in the hatch with 3000watts.

I have sent a few emails. but I was wondering I need my ssd's reconed to the max and I wanted to know the shipping there and back for two of them and the labor that would go into it.

My email is Dominos_rick@yahoo.com

Sign in to follow this