Sign in to follow this  
audio-neon

1998 Dodge Neon

Box build is happening today, it is raining right now, waiting for it to let off to get the first layer of resin in the box... Four more cuts today, and than its just assembly and glass work. I am probably gonna order 80 sq feet of second skin soon and throw some of that in.

I have already removed all of my factory speakers. All of the equipment for this build is in my signature. Will be updating throughout the day.

Box is 3.68 cubic feet (before port displacement) with 69 sq inches of port. Double front baffle, countersunk screws, and completely resin'ed. Will be holding two 10" TC sounds oem's and tuned to 42 hz.

So here are some pics:

DSCN1189.jpg

DSCN1188.jpg

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

It has been raining non-stop all day. waiting for my friend to get home from work so I can borrow his garage to do all of the glass work.

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1195.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

Looking good, with that set up you will easily beat me in Street A.

:(

DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

here is a vid that I made for kicks... of the oem's in the spl box.

Some Updates:

More resin on the box, duct tape all around just cause its cool, and spl' style. On Tuesday will be working on walling off my trunk will include a bunch of pics.

I've never seen dampening put on top of the box. What exactly is the purpose for resin being inside of a box again?

I've never seen dampening put on top of the box. What exactly is the purpose for resin being inside of a box again?

Well the dampening was actually just thrown on their b/c the resin was still wet and I needed a way to carry it to my car without getting stuck to it, which i did anyways. The resin inside the box makes sure that all seams are completely airtight and strengthens the mdf.

Well the dampening was actually just thrown on their b/c the resin was still wet and I needed a way to carry it to my car without getting stuck to it, which i did anyways. The resin inside the box makes sure that all seams are completely airtight and strengthens the mdf.

hmmm, never done that before. Do you do that and put caulk around the seems as well? Or does resin suffice?

hmmm, never done that before. Do you do that and put caulk around the seems as well? Or does resin suffice?

I stick with two to four layers of resin on the inside and a good layer on the outside, I have not posted the duct-tape pics yet either, as I wrap the box with duct tape which also helps with sealing, and makes finding air leaks as easy as looking for tape that is "bubbled"

Another benefit to a resined box is that it is waterproof.

I see I see. I might have to test it out on my next box ;P

I am definitely not an spl expert being an ex sq competitor, but I have learned a couple tricks so far.

So would this be better for SPL use or SQ or could it really be applied for both purposes? I'm an SQ person, don't care for SPL really.

I guess resin could work for sq, albeit a little overkill. Resin and duct-tape are a few of those extra tenths of a db that I am always searching for. Walling should net me a little too, and than time to add a real battery and a second saz-1500d to the mix and go all out for upper 40's in a trunk car.

Very nice. I've always just used caulk in the corner, but more and more people are swearing by the resin, so I'll have to try that. I'm a bit of a perfectionist- I'll recut if it looks like there's a visible gap at all. :P

Looks like it sounds pretty good, great job. :fing34:

I have yet to post any updated pics of the box. But i will with the wall build. I am also working on the outside port corner, and have an idea for increasing port velocity and reducing port turbulence all at once.

just add a piece of pvc pipe to the front baffle around the port opening to "flare" out the port, and maybe a piece on the end of the port wall, it works. I also have a 1st gen neon and am competing in street A, so far ive gotten as high as 149.8 with a single 12" sub. If ya wanna chat about my experiences building for my car pm me and we can talk! my team mate dave dasilva just about set a new iasca pro stock 1 record yesturday in his neon 155.8 with 2 10's.

Just some quick pics of my newest box.

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

*ports are not installed nor are holes cut yet in these pics*

yikes ! beefy indeed :D

Yes... not very much fun to lift/ move around. Can't imagine it with the woofers installed.

I have to finish building my floor and wall fascia. add the 2 4" aero's and install it all. build my amp rack etc... it has been a long weekend already. But Maryland is in 2 weeks and counting. I have a battery coming in by than. So I am just going to keep pushing forward to make sure that Aaron doesn't embarrass me too badly at Maryland.

Edited by audio-neon

Haha yeah right, I am not sure if I am going to be able to make the show.

Haha yeah right, I am not sure if I am going to be able to make the show.

I don't know aaron, technically you still have me by a couple db's. I was just barely knocking on 142's door at the last show I was at.

Anyways here are some more pics.... (still waiting for my aero's, hyperflex, secondskin, second saz-1500d, etc)

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

Ohh and the fascia to my wall:

DSCN1335.jpg