fuzzyping

2002 Toyota 4Runner

Got my attention. I am tuned in for this build.

I have a truly awful video of the ICON taken in my poorly lit garage. If you're desperate enough for woofer pr0n you can find it on my YouTube channel. It's been too cold to step outside and play around. The weather is looking better tomorrow so I should have a new video up then.

As promised, here's a better video. Apologies for the dirty windows, noisy license plate and goofy friend. I'll deaden it tonight (the plate, not my friend). Please keep in mind the sub has only been running for about 5 hours total at the time of the video. I'm having fun breaking it in! :)

Thanks to nmssd12 for the nice sheet of Lexan. Came in the mail yesterday. I'm planning to add a window to the ported box to show off that SSA ICON. :)

Not a problem. Just glad to help.

Thanks to nmssd12 for the nice sheet of Lexan. Came in the mail yesterday. I'm planning to add a window to the ported box to show off that SSA ICON. :)

Yup, that video is nuts, looks like the sub is trying to jump out of the box. nmssd12 sent me a box of lexan, great stuff. Thanks again for that btw :)

Yup, that video is nuts, looks like the sub is trying to jump out of the box. nmssd12 sent me a box of lexan, great stuff. Thanks again for that btw :)

Not a problem, just keep the awesome build pictures and videos coming.

Took a detour away from the sub window for a bit to revisit the front components. I still have the JBL P650C comps and have been mostly happy with them. But I've always wondered "what if" I'd found a nice DIY set that would fit. I bought a set of Seas CA18RLY 6.5" mids when I first started this journey, but they won't fit the stock location.

I took another look tonight and think I might be able to fabricate a wooden baffle that will accommodate the Seas. This build serves as my inspiration. I should be able to get by with a single 3/4" ring on top of the 3/4" mount surface. Anyways, I didn't have a lot of time tonight to work on it. Got some pictures below of the template and the speaker.

P.S. Anyone have pointers to cutting out MDF rings? I know I've seen some around but forgot to bookmark them.

3321747236_2fbc1e443b_o.jpg

3321747500_513de4f4bb_o.jpg

3320916759_1e462d2395_o.jpg

I use a Jasper jig when I am cutting holes.

I use a Jasper jig when I am cutting holes.

Yeah, that's what I have. But that's not enough for creating rings. For example, I can cut out the center but then I won't have anywhere to put the center piece for the jig. Or I can cut out the exterior first but then I don't have enough room to clamp the piece (I could drill holes through it). Somewhere I read a technique for ring cutting that lets you cut perfect rings without marring the material.

You could cut the OD with the jig, then mount your router into a table for the ID cut. If you don't have a router table you can buy inexpensive ones.

To add to my last question, I'd like to know how to taper a ring, like this one. Other than very careful sanding, I can't imagine how that would be done.

taperedbaffle.jpg

You could cut the OD with the jig, then mount your router into a table for the ID cut. If you don't have a router table you can buy inexpensive ones.

I'd just as soon use the Jasper to cut both, with screws in the ring to cut the ID.

I think it could be done cleanly by cutting the ID first using the Jasper, but leaving 2-3 "spokes" around the inner perimeter to give the inner ring a place to hold onto. Then cut the OD. And then finish it up with a jigsaw and sanding of the spokes.

Do you have access to a vertical bandsaw. I have made similar angles with lexan useing a bandsaw.

Do you have access to a vertical bandsaw. I have made similar angles with lexan useing a bandsaw.

Yes, but not one I'd feel comfortable with for such a task. ;)

How about a floor mounted belt sander?

To add to my last question, I'd like to know how to taper a ring, like this one. Other than very careful sanding, I can't imagine how that would be done.

taperedbaffle.jpg

I made brackets like that for my Tundra last year. I used an upright belt sander and a jig I made. I made my speaker rings first (base plate was 3/4" MDF and mounting rings are 1/2"), then made a jig that was just a few mm larger than the ring out of 2 pieces of 1/2" MDF. I cut out the slightly larger diameter on the top piece only, the bottom was solid.

axisjig.jpg

Mark the center point of the jig and then mark the center point of the speaker ring (mark both sides of the ring). Then I took a small piece of MDF and glued it to the outside edge of the jig inside the circle. I glued the speaker ring to the jig by using just small dabs of glue on the peg. Once its glued the speaker ring will rest slightly higher on one side, that is the side that will be sanded off. I ran it across the sander using 50 grit paper until the ring was flush with the jig.

axisjig2.jpg

Once the rings are sanded I mounted them to the base plated with glue and screws, then a fresh coat of flat black and finally a sealer to keep the moisture off.

speakerbrakcet2.jpg

speakerbracket.jpg

BostonPro60.jpg

Hope that helps