Sign in to follow this  
Kyle Richardson

12" and 15" subwoofer blowout

We had a slight goof on a production run which has a wee bit too stiff of a suspension for our original goals. Our choices are to send them back to the build-house and have them rebuilt or offer them at a blow-out price of $160 including shipping for those interested in an IB. My build-house is giving me a good break because it was their mistake. Compare this to the Dayton Audio IB Subwoofer @ $120 with less than half the available excursion (which you will need with an IB sub) and you will find this is an unbeatable value.

These are based upon the Adire Audio Brahma motor so they have a healthy 26-27 x-max with the XBL^2 motor highly optimized in its fourth generation.

These are all dual 8 Ohm VC so they would offer resistively damped operation if you needed it. They are stadard 12-spoke cast baskets with good parts. I intentionally made these non-flashy designs. They are directly out of the mold of the old Shiva/Tempest (which was our original design goal) which was all business and no goofy marketing gimicks. If you want fuzzy dice on your woofer these are not for you.

T/S from a production sample broken-in for 3-4 hours at 50% excursion. Measurements are with VC in parallel.

XJ-15 Parameters:

Re: 3.95 ohm

Qts: 0.578

Qes: 0.673

Qms: 4.095

Fs: 24.5hz

mms: 130g

cms: .300mm/N

BL: 11

Vas: 284L

Pmax: Lets say 600W which is conservative. If you thermally fry the thing your doing something very stupid.

XJ-15 pictures:

15-1.jpg

15-2.jpg

15-3.jpg

There are also XJ-12 12" models available!

They have a highish Q of about .9 (system Q, not driver Qts) but in the car that would give you a lot of thump, essentially flat anechoic to 40Hz and with cabin gain that would be insane. Same motor, slightly different parameters. They also look good in 3.5ft^3 tuned to about 20Hz. They would be a good HT sub in that type of enclosure being essentially flat to 30Hz (anechoic) and fall off fairly quick below that point. In-room measurements as a typical company would post they would be good to under 20Hz flat in-room with some good HT excitement in the 30-60hz range.

Parameters on the XJ-12 with VCs in parallel (dual 8s).

Re: 3.95

fs: 31Hz

Qms: 4.35

Qes: .67

Qts: .58

mms: 114g

cms: .233 mm/N

Vas: 83L

BL: 11.4

Eff: 87.7db/1W/1M

xmax: 26-27mm one way

Pmax: Lets say 600W which is conservative. If you thermally fry the thing your doing something very stupid.

Warranty: 1 yr Parts/Labor. Actually if we had a warranty item I'd just replace it or in this case give you credit towards another driver.

Since there is a lot of craziness among the car audio crowd. You guys like to blow stuff up.... you know it.... I know it.

Items covered/not covered:

* A smoldering VC is not a warranty item.

* A surround and spider riped from their landings is not a warranty item

* A glue joint failure, where there is no damage to the surrounding cone, surround or spider IS a warranty item

* anything obvious as a defect, magnet falls off, way off my listed parameters, VC scrapping etc... would be considered warranty. I'd take care of you 100%

THERE IS PRETTY GOOD STOCK ON THESE UNITS >50 BUT THEY WONT LAST LONG. THE XJ-12 IS $155.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING IN THE LOWER U.S. AND THE XJ-15 IS $160.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING IN THE LOWER U.S. THESE ARE BASICALLY BRAHMA MOTORS FOR SHIVA PRICES! ALTHOUGH THEY USE XBL AND THE BRAHMA MOTOR THEY WERE NOT BUILT BY ADIRE AND WILL NOT BE SERVICED THROUGH ADIRE SO REST ASSURED. SINCE I DONT EXPECT THESE TO LAST LONG I'M NOT GOING TO PUT THEM ON THE SITE AND LET MY FORUM READERS TAKE ADVANTAGE. CALL ME AT 435-730-4967 AFTER 3:30 MOUNTAIN TIME TO ORDER OR E-MAIL SALES@ACOUSTIC-VISIONS WITH YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION AND I'LL CALL YOU. Of COURSE YOU CAN ORDER VIA PAYPAL ANYTIME AT KYLE@ACOUSTIC-VISIONS.COM AND I'LL SEND YOU A PAYPAL BILL FOR THE SHIPPING AMOUNT WHEN THE EXACT AMOUNT IS KNOWN. YOU CAN ALSO IM ME ANYTIME: AIM: KYLER70 AND MSN: ACOUSTICVISIONS@HOTMAIL.COM

I was asked by somebody if these are left over parts from Adire in an attempt to liquidate the parts. NO! that is definitely not the case and all parts are brand new. The build facility goofed and shipped the drivers before the goof on the parameters were discovered and instead of shipping them all back we decided to do this.

wow. great price

I'll be the first to admit that even with the discount my profits are slim to none and Kevin from DIY Cable is also moving these. Just trying to move these out and get the cash flowing.

I was asked by somebody if these are left over parts from Adire in an attempt to liquidate the parts. NO! that is definitely not the case and all parts are brand new. The build facility goofed and shipped the drivers before the goof on the parameters were discovered and instead of shipping them all back we decided to do this.

Sorry Kyle, I thought maybe it was just the motor, as you had mentioned it was the Brahma motor, which I took quite literally. My apologies for the confusion.

Sorry Kyle, I thought maybe it was just the motor, as you had mentioned it was the Brahma motor, which I took quite literally. My apologies for the confusion.

No problem at all! I just posted that in case others were wondering the exact same thing.

these would work well in a transmission line enclosure right??

The 12's would work better than the 15's since the 15's would need such a large enclosure. There are better drivers out there for T lines though if that is specifically what you wanted to do. That doesnt mean they wont work though!

I am interested.... I have never played with any subwoofers out of the 10" range.

Edited original post to add:

Shipping information: These ship from zip code 98362 and the 12" driver weighs 38lbs while the 15" driver weighs 41lbs. You can go to UPS.com and calculate the estimated shipping costs (plus insurance) to your zip code pretty quickly. At these weights and with fuel at $3.00-$4.00 shipping is not cheap. Expect shipping to the East Coast to be in the $40-$50 range depending upon which driver and your exact location. West Coast shipping will be considerably cheaper since they ship from the West Coast.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for it to get here. Maybe I should have paid for mega-ultra light speed shipping.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for it to get here. Maybe I should have paid for mega-ultra light speed shipping.

Hahaha, that would have cost more than the driver!

What is an acceptable range of sealed box sizes for a 12"? I'm looking for two good SQ/LSQ subs in a small enclosure, and am considering some IDMAX's, but I think this might be a good option as well.

-C

If you're looking for small sealed, you might be better off with the IDMAX. The high Qts pushes these drivers towards larger sealed or infinite baffle applications.

I've had a few people tell me these won't work well in auto use, I disagreed. WHats your recommended setup on these for auto use ported.. say either 1-15 or 2 12's and how do you think they'd sound? thanks... Joe...

I've had a few people tell me these won't work well in auto use, I disagreed. WHats your recommended setup on these for auto use ported.. say either 1-15 or 2 12's and how do you think they'd sound? thanks... Joe...

They probably said that because the drivers require quite large enclosures so they are partially right. There's nothing that really designates a driver as "car" or "home" other than the box size requirements and sometimes the Fs. If you can live with the large box requirements these drivers require then they will work perfectly well in car.

It is much easier to use these drivers sealed because of the box requirements but if you want to port a couple 12's then you're looking about 7 cu ft or so. A single 15' will require about that much as well as at a minimum.