Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

New Sub in the Works

Sound quality is good, but output at moderate power levels is the number one goal.

:(

Interested in a MASS clone? Jacob is working on making one available.

:)

Sound quality is good, but output at moderate power levels is the number one goal.

:(

Interested in a MASS clone? Jacob is working on making one available.

:)

Indeed. Likely not a permanent product but I will be offering a warranty on it like all of my stuff so I'll have spares and parts on hand when people need service. I've been talking about it on DIY Mobile Audio a bit.

very nice looking driver ;)

Thanks :) I'm hoping that I can get them made soon! As long as testing of the revised prototypes goes well I should be able to. I won't have any 15s at first, so I guess we can't test em' in your wall. Of course, these aren't made to be the best subs on the meter, that is what the Nightshade will be for!

Good looking driver!

any chance a prototype might be for sale ?

I'm really not pleased with the pictured protos so I may not let them out for sale... they have issues at high x-max, which is why I am totally revising the motor internals. If you plan to run relatively low power I might sell you the 12" proto... it's good up to about 600 RMS in an appropriate sized box -- but if pushed too hard it will make a "clanking" sound.

that clanking noise adds to the db's.

LMAO... well it might, considering it is accompanied by a sudden tremendous and non-linear increase in x-max.

any chance a prototype might be for sale ?

I'm really not pleased with the pictured protos so I may not let them out for sale... they have issues at high x-max, which is why I am totally revising the motor internals. If you plan to run relatively low power I might sell you the 12" proto... it's good up to about 600 RMS in an appropriate sized box -- but if pushed too hard it will make a "clanking" sound.

This problem deffinately needs to be worked out.I understand why you wouldn't want these to leak yet

Yeah Jacob don't let them out........... Hook up the Term Lab and a 3000D and see if you can make the sub jump out the box.... JK

Looks nice Jacob!!!

are these for sale yet? very interested

No, these are photos of the first revision of a prototype for these :)

So jacob out of curiosity.... What line (A pair of 12's) would take a SAZ-3000D Daily at 1ohm

(what's that About 1700 watts per sub Daily)

Edited by theabunai

So jacob out of curiosity.... What line (A pair of 12's) would take a SAZ-3000D Daily at 1ohm

(what's that About 1700 watts per sub Daily)

The Nightshade would without a problem, but those are not even expected (optimistically) until a few months into 2008. In fact... the Nightshade will likely take a 3000D on a one to one basis daily... and two 3000Ds for SPL comp purposes.

This is all pending further testing... but the proto had very little power compression at 7,000 watts on burps. Due to the proto spiders being too soft we blew a coil at 10,000 watts on a burp (coil rocked, nicked the coil on the top plate, and burnt a winding in three places). The next proto will be getting two more spiders for a total of eight... and all of them will be stiffer.

Hows it's Daily driving capability or is it strictly an SPL sub..?

Once again talking about putting a pair on a 3000D ;) again.... ????

With a boot on the motor they would look perfect. :)

Hows it's Daily driving capability or is it strictly an SPL sub..?

Once again talking about putting a pair on a 3000D ;) again.... ????

The Nightshade is designed to actually be listenable. It's not an SQ woofer, but it won't sound like a fart cannon.

With a boot on the motor they would look perfect. :)

I'll ask them about boots for production... almost forgot that some people like those :) Good call.

Likely not set in stone until the final revision is completed. Remember people, this is the first version aka prototype.

Looks nice Jacob, where can I find more info on this upcoming nightshade? We talked a few years ago about a lot of audio and whatnot, kind of lost touch with you....guess that would've been during the time you were getting things going....glad everything is going well....I'd love to pick up a saz-3000d for the xxx 15 i've got.