Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

New Sub in the Works

When will the prototype for the nightshade be available jacob 08 early part

Edited by theabunai

whats the price tag on these?

MSRP should be 200 - 250 dollars for these.

----

Mike,

Indeed, I work around 14 hours a day doing something or other related to Sundown. It's 10:15 on Sunday and I'm on my company forum :) So time has indeed been limited.

As for the Nightshade, there a little on my forum that talks a little about it but I haven't said much at all since it will likely be undergoing several more revisions:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7901

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7809

----

theabunai,

I am hoping to have revised protos very soon. I have had a tremendous wait on the coil... apparently it has been difficult to nail down for my parts source. Depending on many things, not the least of which being test results I hope to have them ready in the early part of 2008 in at least one size, with more sizes to follow (10, 12, 15, and 18 will be made eventually).

Don't stretch yourself so thin, Jacob. We don't need any more subs, how about a nice 5-channel in the form factor of the 100.4? ;)

Dealers want a sub in this power range MUCH more than a 5-channel, so these are first :) Other amps are still in the works, but a 5-channel is not on top of the list. The SAE-50.4, SAE-75.2, SAX-250.2, and an SAE-1500D will come first.

SUBS ,SUBS,SUBS,SUBSBUBS ,SSSUBSSBSUS :wackit: sorry lost my train of thought ,damit. All bs aside ,wow they look gooooooooooooood.I want some now ,ok so quit horrdin, share the love .Also obviously people missed out on the sd1 they kick a$$.RIP SD-1 damn marketing guys and there huge magnets. its not the size of the magnet it how you use ,well you get the picture.

I received the second revision prototypes today.

The design is how I want it to be now... but quality control does not seem to be up to my standards at the factory I have been working with. I will likely be looking to build these elsewhere unless this factory can get their act together and meet my requirements. The way it looks I will probably have to get these made somewhere else and delay them further... but I'll keep you guys up to date!

Looks like you're going to have to go with TC Sounds` build house j/k :fing34: Hope it gets figured out soon for you

Looks like you're going to have to go with TC Sounds` build house j/k :fing34: Hope it gets figured out soon for you

Hehe, good one... their OEM pricing is a tad high these days.

Anyhow... I'm talking with the current factory about why the samples aren't working out like I want. If I can get that figured out I will try another revision with them... if not I will take it somewhere else.

I know this thread is about the X10 and 12 but when can I expect to hear anything from the Nightshade series woofers. Those look like some beasts and being sundown I know they are quality, this might have already been discussed did not feel like reading other posts, and can you guesstimate a price on the Nightshade 15" Dual 2? And also ae these geared towards SQ, SPL, or daily pounding, and what amout of power are they going to be able to take daily when all is done? Very interested in the Nightshades when you get everything worked out.

I know this thread is about the X10 and 12 but when can I expect to hear anything from the Nightshade series woofers. Those look like some beasts and being sundown I know they are quality, this might have already been discussed did not feel like reading other posts, and can you guesstimate a price on the Nightshade 15" Dual 2? And also ae these geared towards SQ, SPL, or daily pounding, and what amout of power are they going to be able to take daily when all is done? Very interested in the Nightshades when you get everything worked out.

1) I don't have a solid price estimate yet. Probably something like $549 MSRP on the 12" and $569 on the 15" model. I would have 10" and 18" sizes at a later date. May or may not have an introductory sale, it all depends on supply and demand.

2) At the moment I am looking at making them in Dual 1, at least at first.

3) They are made for SPL but can be listened to daily, they aren't "pure SPL."

4) The goal is to be able to run an SAZ-3000D on one daily... and two for competition purposes. Or 2x 1500Ds and 4x 1500Ds respectively.

They are still in development and MANY more things may change about them before they come out, which is why more details aren't available on the forum in general :)

how does the X12 compare to kicker's cvx?

No idea... X12 design is not even finalized yet and I don't have any CVXs here to test.

Since the v.2 protos were not as I had hoped... and I have to get new protos anyway... I'm going to step the design up a notch. Stay tuned... should have v.3 protos in a month or so, they will be visually different @ over 1" more depth. I specify visually different since I made 5 changes to the motor in v.2 compared to v.1 and the naked eye couldn't tell any difference on the outside (unless you can spot a 2mm increase in depth). Will likely bring them up a notch in price, but they will be worth it :)

Okay... here is the deal. I got an estimate on what the new v.3 version would cost me to build. It is 225% more expensive to make than the v.1 prototypes... yes, seriously.

This is what would be gained:

* Double the linear excursion of the v.1 prototype

* Going from a two layer to a four layer spider

* 150% longer voice coil than the v.1 prototype

* Switching to a flat-wound coil

* 1" deeper motor structure, impossible to bottom out the spider or the coil

* WAY more power handling... chances are the new design would handle double the power of the v.2 prototype

* Lower Distortion

This means... at my current best estimate... that MSRP pricing would be around $349 - 399 for this speaker. This is MSRP price... pre-orders and actual street price would be lower.

I need some feedback before I continue. Keep in mind this speaker is leagues ahead of the pictured protos in every way. It's bigger, has more x-max, has more motor force, is more durable, AND will have less distortion.

The v2's looked good, and with what Jake has planned for the v3's it should be a stout little driver. I got to see both proto's when we put the BM 10 through some listening tests and they are sexy little suckers. :)

I think if they will be able to handle close to 1500 watts RMS then it will be well worh the money. Hell a pair of 12's and a 3000D combo sounds great. I hope you release the 15's soon after. Any ETA if you like the new design? Are they being made in the US?

I think if they will be able to handle close to 1500 watts RMS then it will be well worh the money. Hell a pair of 12's and a 3000D combo sounds great. I hope you release the 15's soon after. Any ETA if you like the new design? Are they being made in the US?

Ricky,

These are not being made in the USA.

Several other designs that I am working on are to be made in the USA, but not these. Although, I will likely use USA voice coils in this model to get higher temperature grade adhesives.

Precision Econowind :woot:

They sound quite interesting, Jacob. I look forward to hearing more.

I am a little late to this thread, so what would the mounting depth of a 10 or 12 of the v3 design be then? I would love to have 1 killer 10 or 12 in my truck.

I am a little late to this thread, so what would the mounting depth of a 10 or 12 of the v3 design be then? I would love to have 1 killer 10 or 12 in my truck.

The 10" will come in at 7" depth, 12" a bit deeper :)

Well that definitely won't work for the titan bummer! Guess I will just stick with the CDT for now.

Well that definitely won't work for the titan bummer! Guess I will just stick with the CDT for now.

I am working on subs with less depth, no worries. The SD-1 v.2 10" model will be 5.25" deep... and it will go LOW sealed :) Stay tuned for that one.

And is the RMS still going to be around 750RMS or with the improvements will it be able to take more?

A 15" model will come later on, I am going to produce the 12" model by itself at first.

I am going to test them to see how they will be rated by my method of rating a speaker. With the changes I have made they will handle as much power as most speakers rated for well over 1000 watts RMS... it will likely receive a 1000 watt rating.

I am working on subs with less depth, no worries. The SD-1 v.2 10" model will be 5.25" deep... and it will go LOW sealed :) Stay tuned for that one.

Now that sounds interesting, I guess I could have all SD across the back like I currently have with eD. The CDT doesn't look like it will work either, if I build a box for a current SD-1 will the v.2 be able to drop in its place? I am actually pretty content with my dual SQ10s right now but I am trying something different since I needed a bigger amp to power my new front stage.