Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown Audio SD-1 "Blowout" Sale

How do you think 2 of these 12's ported would match up against 1 Maw 12 or a similar ~300 watt sub. Both setups seeing 350 Watts and tuned nice and low. I have a friend that wants to run 2 12's but I advised against it with only 350 Watts but these subs might be the ticket! Would the extra cone area with these higher sensitive speakers give me more output while retaining good sq? thanks

Two 12s vs. one... the pair of SD-1s should really have no problem having more output since it is 2 vs. 1 subs with around the same power. I suggest a very low tune around 30 Hz or so in a moderate size box (around 2.0 ft^3 or so each).

jacob i just bought an sae-1000d and just am looking to do something different than my 2 type r 12's. do you think 4 of the sd-1 10's would compare output wise? the only thing is i would only have 600 watts as id be running the 1000d at 2 ohms. i am also in charlotte so could i save on shipping?

Four of the 10" SD-1s would work quite well on 600 watts. I can't guarantee that four SD-1 10s will be louder, but it would sound good :) Are you running @ 1 ohm on the Alpines now? If you are it is likely that the Alpine setup would be louder as the two 12" subs actually have about 75% as much cone area as four 10s, the the Type-Rs have a good bit more excursion capability.

Cool , not looking for monster output . Plan on running my sub(s) on a zr360 . Space constrictions are what's getting me right now smile.gif

Good news then, the 10" SD-1 has a 0.707 Qtc in 3/4 ft^3 and will work well in smaller stuffed with poly-fill, it is also only 5" deep.

We updated the SQ Combo deal on the shop with the 100.2.

SQ Sundown deal topic

Just ordered 4 of the 12's, can't wait to try them out

I am going to e-mail Rich and see if he can send me plans for the TL box for the 12s... they really shine in that box. They also do very well Infinite Baffle =) They will work fine in traditional sealed and ported alignments, but the 12" models really shine in a hybrid-TL or IB due to the moderately high Qts.

I suggest 1.25 - 1.5 ft^3 sealed with heavy polyfill stuffing, around 2 - 3 pounds or so.

I suggest 2.00 - 2.25 ft^3 ported tuned to 30 Hz or so, they will get extremely low in this alignment.

What would be a *great* solution since you have four... would be to make a dual clamshell, low-tuned, ported home theater sub. You could use around 2 cubes total volume since the clamshell alignment cuts box size in half :) That would be pretty nasty in-home for movies tuned to about 25 hz or so.

----------

That is four entries to win the SAX-100.2 for you as well :) I am writing them all down and will have a computer generate a random number to draw the winner the first of next month!

jacob yes i am running the type r's at 1 ohm. im just looking i guess for the newness and just having 4 10's in a subaru impreza.

jacob yes i am running the type r's at 1 ohm. im just looking i guess for the newness and just having 4 10's in a subaru impreza.

If you are looking for louder you should look at something bigger than these -- while they sound great, raw output isn't tremendous... it's not bad, and is very impressive for 200 watts per sub, but it won't compete with the big boys on output.

Jake has two of these little suckers in his Civic and they're potent little drivers. For two budget 10's, they can't be beat.

Jacob, can you tell me the displacement for the subs. It seems that I'm going to have to attempt to build a sealed box for the pair. I pm'd rich but he told me that he cannot disclose specs on the transmission line box and I really cant afford to buy one off him. I would try to build a ported box but I don't think I have the space for (2) 12's. Thinking I should have gotten a pair of 10's and ported them, but oh well sealed 12's it is. :D

Jacob, can you tell me the displacement for the subs. It seems that I'm going to have to attempt to build a sealed box for the pair. I pm'd rich but he told me that he cannot disclose specs on the transmission line box and I really cant afford to buy one off him. I would try to build a ported box but I don't think I have the space for (2) 12's. Thinking I should have gotten a pair of 10's and ported them, but oh well sealed 12's it is. :D

Indeed, it totally slipped my mind that the TL box is a proprietary design. Sorry about that!

The displacement is pretty much negligible... around 0.1 ft^3 or so. You can pretty much ignore it :) Be sure to add a good 2 - 3 pounds of poly fill to the enclosure when running the 12" models sealed.

Still plenty left :) Remember, each SD-1 purchased enters your in a drawing to win an SAX-100.2 for free!

ATTN: Joshua Bayer

Your order was received but the address is incomplete. I sent you an e-mail requesting a correction. Posting here too in case you don't check that address on a regular basis. I'll have to ship Monday as I am about to do my UPS shipping for today in less than 5 minutes.

Funny how everyone wants them when you blow them out :)

Hey now, I started wanting some last week, now its too good to pass up.

Will send mail about shipping to Canada.

Funny how everyone wants them when you blow them out :)

Hey now, I started wanting some last week, now its too good to pass up.

Will send mail about shipping to Canada.

Indeed, they are very good for those of us who aren't massive bass heads and/or have limited space/depth or even who have limited electrical setups and don't want to run gobs of power. Nice little speakers all in all :)

Unfortunatly, the market wants big boy speakers... hence the close-out sale.

Im tempted to order 4 right now, just for grins, but I need to see exactly how Im going to install before I figure quantity.

The 10" models really do excel in very small enclosures :) Pop them into WinISD or your favorite box program and design away!

Just went and bought some mdf and will start building my box tomorrow. Just have to figure up some box specs first. I should be fine as long as the volume is 2.5-3 ft^3, right? Does it matter if they are in a common chamber or is it better if I isolate them?

I'm just excited to build the box and get everything running. I'll just have to wait a few days after I build the box to listen to them. Any tips or links to some box building?

Just went and bought some mdf and will start building my box tomorrow. Just have to figure up some box specs first. I should be fine as long as the volume is 2.5-3 ft^3, right? Does it matter if they are in a common chamber or is it better if I isolate them?

I'm just excited to build the box and get everything running. I'll just have to wait a few days after I build the box to listen to them. Any tips or links to some box building?

It really doesn't matter if they are common chamber or separated. Volume from 2.5 - 3 ft^3 is perfect, use 4 - 5 pounds of polyfill total in there as well (craft section at wal-mart).

Still plenty to go around folks. Don't miss out on these nice USA made speakers.

They would do very well in a 3-way home setup as well... run them up to ~200 Hz as midbass to mate with a midrange driver :) Remember, 8 ohm coils on these!

Or even use the 10" model as an in-door midbass driver for car audio!

Still plenty to go around folks. Don't miss out on these nice USA made speakers.

They would do very well in a 3-way home setup as well... run them up to ~200 Hz as midbass to mate with a midrange driver :) Remember, 8 ohm coils on these!

Incase someone is going to ask,

mounting depth on the SD-1's?

Incase someone is going to ask,

mounting depth on the SD-1's?

10" = 5" depth

12" = 5.5" depth

if you ever get ahold of rich can you get a cutlist for that t0line design he builds some nice enclosures.

He never pms me back :(

if you ever get ahold of rich can you get a cutlist for that t0line design he builds some nice enclosures.

I talked to him about it... it seems that it is a proprietary design that he cannot share details about. He has offered to build them for people that want to use them in conjunction with a pair of 12" SD-1s for the rate of $125 + shipping as a "special" for my customers.

I talked to him about it... it seems that it is a proprietary design that he cannot share details about. He has offered to build them for people that want to use them in conjunction with a pair of 12" SD-1s for the rate of $125 + shipping as a "special" for my customers.

Hey jacob, what are the external dimensions on this box... Maybe it will fit in my car, or could always be for home theater if tuned low enough.