Sign in to follow this  
caddyon20s

box building online calculator???

OK I FOUND THIS SEARSpeaker Box Construction

Speaker boxes can be made of anything rigid enough to not vibrate and cause losses or distortion; the most common materials are Plywood, Particleboard, and MDF. Plywood is more impervious to water and probably the strongest and lightest, but Particle board and MDF being much denser have (possibly) better sonic properties, and MDF makes the nicest looking boxes and is easy to work with

my point is that everyone here says not to use anything that isnt mdf woood,,, as u see the artilce says the particle board plywood and mdf are good material to build a box, and everyone here says nothing but mdf wood.... thank you very much

I can post SEVERal links that makes this persons post very very wrong...

I can point out a few places where he contradicts himself in his very own post that proves he himself is saying MDF is better then particle wood...

for example

look up Particle wood density

look up MDF density

MDF is denser then particle wood

then look at his posts

The wood that the box is made out of can vibrate also, using a thicker wood or denser wood will minimize these vibrations
Ok does that NOT just say MDF is BETTER then Particle wood ??

Much more flaws i can point out where he contradicts himself....

here lets look at this one

I get the impression from a lot of folks that they put way too much effort into trying to achieve air tightness

then in the next line he says

the main problem with air leaks is high frequency sounds caused by air rushing though any small holes.. The air pressure changes inside the box can force air in and out of any small leaks and cause whistling sounds! DISTORTION! The distortion is what were trying to avoid

So he admits that not being airtight causes distortion BUT is baffled why some people are obsessed with making an enclosure airtight...

I can point out much more flaws...

I am not the all knowing person I am just pointing out he flips flops back and forth.. And i would've thought you caddyon would've picked up on that since you strike me as someone who is on a quest for knowledge...

Caddy it comes down to this my friend...

MDF cost just a little bit more then PArticle wood a few bucks (2-5 dollars more a sheet)..

the benefits are many..... Better sound, better construction, better material, better overall quality for just a few bucks more..

Nobody is saying you CAN NOT build a box out of particle wood, hell you could build a box out cardboard for that matter.. What everyone is telling you is that for a few dollars more you can construct a box with a material that will yield much more positive results then another type of material... So why not use it ??

You keep asking people why MDF, whats so good about it, why is it beter then particle wood and there are so many post that PROVE why it is better... that should lead you to ask yourself this question... WHY NOT MDF ??

Why settle for average when you can get better for only a fraction of the costs...?

it's like someone offering you condom with a 90% chance of protecting you from an STD for a $1.00 or a condom that offers a 99.9% chance of protecting you from a STD for a $1.75... Go cheap and hope your not the 10% or just go a little extra for that much more assurance...

Edited by theabunai

fry??? that dont make sence,,,, ive heard an amp can fry from too much voltage but not from low voltage. Ok since I AM A be running 1800 rms i have a 140 amp alt, should i replace the alt or get a yellow battery?? im kida low on money right now so i can only do one of the two.
Um too low is by far worse than too much. Many amps fry from too little. If the proper voltage isn't given then it is attemtpted to make up the loss by drawing more current(heat). This draw in current can be more than the amps board or components were meant to handle.

my point is that everyone here says not to use anything that isnt mdf woood,,, as u see the artilce says the particle board plywood and mdf are good material to build a box, and everyone here says nothing but mdf wood.... thank you very much

So you believe everything you find on the web? The original writer of that post is mentally challenged. Particle board is terrible /thread

yes i will, i will be using mdf wood netx time i make another box i just found interesting what this above article said, especialy with everybody here saying that particle wood is a peace of sh** material to use, i searched about this cause my power enclosure for my t215d2 rockford 3.25 cu ft net particle wood sounds great and ive never had enyproblem at all for almost a year.

these are the comments i hate, its like particle wood is chit, ignorant people i would at least say its 70% good compare to mdf 100%

sounds great my ass.

can i ask you how the heck u got so many posts????,,,,,, 281446 you must be 100 years old and started posting at the age of 1 lol :domoslay: just having fun.

sounds great my ass.

I found this mildly hilarious.

Edited by bdawson72