Acidburn

Front Suspension Rebuild and Power Disc Brake Conversion

Here's the build log for the Camaro. I was a little hesitant at first because this is my first major mechanical project. I'm replacing all bushings in the front suspension with poly bushings, converting to power front disc brakes, switching to Hotchkis springs, and replacing all brake lines with stainless. I started on this last week, and I've gotten to the point where everything that needs to come off is off. Here are some pics of things so far.

What I started with:

17uew9.jpg

8ugy0.jpg

11uwv7.jpg

Goodbye spindle/drum (I'd just like to say that the most useful tool in this whole thing is an air hammer with pickle fork attachment. Those ball joints were original and did not want to let go):

18uhf7.jpg

No more master cylinder (This was also great fun because on my car, the clevis pin is blocked by a support so the whole pedal assembly has to come out.):

24uab7.jpg

Everything gone!:

27ugo8.jpg

Well, there it is:

29uoa2.jpg

And the new tie rods getting ready:

30urj4.jpg

I'll continue to update this as I go along, but progress may slow a bit because classes start on Monday. :(

Kickass! Make sure to post more pics later on :)

Getting rid of the old is the hard part, the new goes together much better. Going to be a huge improvement Tom. Get ready for smiles!

Awesome stuff. I love that type of work, not to mention on a beautiful car like that

No rust wtf (or ftw)... doing something like that would have taken 10x the time to remove the old parts here.

No rust wtf (or ftw)... doing something like that would have taken 10x the time to remove the old parts here.

It's been a southwest (NM, CA, CO, and now AZ) car its whole life, and garaged for a good portion of that too.

Definitely no rust FTW

Remind me to only buy a car down that way. Here floorboards & torque boxes are expected to be gone even in a good one. I'm jealous :)

yea that is in amazing condition. I'm pretty sure my stratus has more rust.

Remind me to only buy a car down that way. Here floorboards & torque boxes are expected to be gone even in a good one. I'm jealous :)

you know I'll be happy to look around down here for you

yea that is in amazing condition. I'm pretty sure my stratus has more rust.

I think the Impala has more rust too

Hurry up you slow bastard!

BTW, before you put anything back in place, make sure you have a liberal coat of grease on the poly part of the bushings wherever they'll meet something or you'll get squeaks. I'm still trying to rid all of mine. Also, use some antiseize on the inside bushing sleeves to prevent the bolts from rusting on them if you ever need to pull them apart.

Hurry up you slow bastard!

BTW, before you put anything back in place, make sure you have a liberal coat of grease on the poly part of the bushings wherever they'll meet something or you'll get squeaks. I'm still trying to rid all of mine. Also, use some antiseize on the inside bushing sleeves to prevent the bolts from rusting on them if you ever need to pull them apart.

The control arms and center link are at the sandblaster. I can't do a whole lot 'til they get back.

Good advice. One of the LCA bolts was seized up inside the bushing.

wish i could come over and help :D

Just a couple updates...

I only need to assemble everything now. My goal is to get to the alignment shop next Saturday.

Everything all ready to go:

31uof8.jpg

Brake booster and lines in place:

32uuu1.jpg

stuff left to do:

grease joints

bench bleed MC

install MC

bleed brakes

put wheels on

set back on ground

final torque bushings

add vacuum fitting/hose

33uam1.jpg

34uva7.jpg

35unf3.jpg

36uqj8.jpg

That spindle looks kinda...what's the word I'm looking for...oh, spindly. I guess I'm used to truck parts though. Did the exact same job on my '69 long bed (lowered it while I was at it, too) and the rust was a bitch. Mine was a beach dweller before I got it. Rust everywhere. The rust and the assignment to Japan killed that project off. She's been sitting in Albuquerque for the last 7 years. I'm going down there in 2 weeks to get rid of her. Know anyone that needs a 350 block or the rear and passenger glass or hood from a '69 Chevy P/U?

That spindle looks kinda...what's the word I'm looking for...oh, spindly. I guess I'm used to truck parts though. Did the exact same job on my '69 long bed (lowered it while I was at it, too) and the rust was a bitch. Mine was a beach dweller before I got it. Rust everywhere. The rust and the assignment to Japan killed that project off. She's been sitting in Albuquerque for the last 7 years. I'm going down there in 2 weeks to get rid of her. Know anyone that needs a 350 block or the rear and passenger glass or hood from a '69 Chevy P/U?

I'll need a 350 block eventually...

Your car is so clean it has to be a blast to work on. Nice work mang!

I wish ours were all that clean :(

It must be nice living where vehicles don't rust.

Thanks, the lack of rust is indeed quite awesome

now to get these damn brakes bled