Sign in to follow this  
kmu

RL-i8 on a center console for a truck.

Hi there, I have a Dodge Ram 06 CTD Quad Cab with a sealed center console sub/box .90cf downfiring(it replaces teh front middle seat and can still be used as a seat) and a Diamond Audio CM3 4ohm single voice coil sub and an alpine class D amp 400 rms @ 4ohms 600rms @ 2ohms.

Well Im not happy with the diamond audio sub performance on that box with only 400rms, now I have 2 choices, get a diamond audio D6 sub and give it 600rms or get a RL-i8 port it and give it 600 rms...

Tu sub box is 22" long(front to back), 8"tall and 13" wide, it has a "hole in the bottom for a 12" sub, now my plan is to seal he bottom hole for the 12"sub and make an opening for a RL-i8 sub on the top and a port.

Im exited to find out there is a was to have this little monster in my truck.

My idea is to have it facing up on the center console, that way when someone asks me if its a 12"sub I would only raise the armrest/console and the 8" monster would show...

Is this possible? How would it sound facing up on a truck, I can have the port face front, back or up..

THX in advance

What is the enclosure made of? MDF... F/G... etc... ???

Its made of mdf dont know if its .5"or .75" I bought it from super crew sound and they claim a .95cf of volumen

.95 is too much for a Rl-i8 IMO. More suited for a good 12" subwoofer (for example the SI BM), even the Rl-i10. That enclosure size is more inline for two of the 8s.

.95 is too much for a Rl-i8 IMO. More suited for a good 12" subwoofer (for example the SI BM), even the Rl-i10. That enclosure size is more inline for two of the 8s.

I have to use my current enclosure, but can still modify it, I want to port it, and probably with the round tube ports, much easier to add to an already sealed box.

Would 2 Ported 8s fit that enclosure better?

Also what size diameter tube should I use for a port and how long? does the tube needs to be straight or can it turn 90 degrees? what is the best type of material to use for a port if I want a round one?

THX again

Well, I called one of my local JL dealers just to find out how much was the competition for the rl-i8, well it turns out they want $430 for the 8w7...

I will rather get a single or a pair of rl-i8s and get much better performance for my system.

You don't have enough space to port, not even close. The port for my single Rli8 is near 100" long with 22"sq of port area which takes up way more space than your total box.

A pair of Rli8's sealed would work really well in that box though.

You don't have enough space to port, not even close. The port for my single Rli8 is near 100" long with 22"sq of port area which takes up way more space than your total box.

A pair of Rli8's sealed would work really well in that box though.

With .90 cf I should be able to have space for a ported box, shouldnt I?

I could do an aero port right?

An Rli8 ported takes more than 3cuft total...

edit: when built right

I have a 07 quad that I took the center seat out and put in a 15 TC 3k. I love lows

I think you would be very happy with the 2 RLi8s sealed down firing, 600w would be ok. feed them 1000w and sit back and grin!!

I would love to see pics when your done.

you will have to brace that enclosure very well.

Chad

I have a 07 quad that I took the center seat out and put in a 15 TC 3k. I love lows

I think you would be very happy with the 2 RLi8s sealed down firing, 600w would be ok. feed them 1000w and sit back and grin!!

I would love to see pics when your done.

you will have to brace that enclosure very well.

Chad

That 15" sub should sound amazing where you have it... Can you please post some pics?

THX in advance

ok I think I got it. this is a 3.25ft^3 sealed enclosure it was also my first attempt at fiberglass. this is unfinished but I just put it in for some testing. I have sense turned it around and got a much better response.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ga...2500/365432.jpg

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ga...2500/365433.jpg

this is the only way I figured out to post pics sorry.