Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

BL or BTL

I'm trying to decide on which to run in my car. I will be taking out the back seats of my honda civic coupe and more then likely walling it off. The choices are either 2 15" BL's or a single 18" BTL. This is my daily driver so I need help deciding. Not sure on amp yet. Probably around 2500rms.

lmk

Andrew

what is your eventual goal with this system?

Indeed, walling off a daily driver is no small undertaking...you need to have your reasons clearly in mind before any holes are drilled and you build something that has a very good chance of killing you and a passenger if not properly built.

To be the loudest local groundpounder. I don't care if it puts up numbers... Just as long as it painfully loud/low and sounds fairly decent. I don't need SI mag sq but I do need something I can play a variety of music on. My overall main goal is to get painfully loud w/ that amount of power. I'm in college so money is kinda tight lol

The BLs would have more cone area. You could always get one BTL and then get a second amp and sub down the road if it's not enough.

^^^

Thats what I was thinking. It would be cheaper for now as well and then when summer rolls around I could grab another one. I saw your review n loved it manG. I may run the same hifonics amp as well or maybe the 2607

I've taken all the risks and precautions into considersation.... No rearview mirror, big flying box, damaged equipt. just off the top of my head. I plan on marking everything up first w/ cardboard so I know exactly what is going where

I'd probably do the BL's personally.

Thanks

-Nick

Any reasoning behind the idea of 2 bl's over the btl's? j/w Like tejcurrent said, I could do 1 15" BTL for now and then upgrade it when funds are a lil more accessible. Just a thought. Will the 2 bl's perform better then the btl? I see the BL's for sale used everywhere. Just wondering

i thought you meant 1 18 btl? while that amp did ok for the money i would get a bit more power regardless of the setup. and thanks on the review hope it helped.

Hmmm... hard call there. How much space do you think you would have overall? Im sure youd have enough for a pair of 18s (BL or BTL). Then the problem becomes... should you order a single BTL 18 and 2500W amp (with the ability to add another sub and amp down the road) or do a pair of BLs off the single amp and have less room for upgrades. The pair of BLs (15s or 18s) will be louder initially, but if you really want to upgrade later, the pair of BTLs and amps will definitely take the cake.

Hinges on your ultimate goals. Be advised that you would need some solid electrical upgrades to push a 5000W too... so it becomes a little more involved the larger you plan on going.

Let me know approx what space you will have and we can see if we cant optimize things from there :)

Hey, sorry I was away for a while... From what I calculated I'll have around 12-14cu ft to work w/. I figured that should be enough for the 2 18"s... Will that be sufficient for the 2 18"s? The amp I was looking into running is the IA 40.1 at 1/2 ohm. Would that be enough power? I know they do 3600x1 but I've heard that theyve been tested to to well over 4k at 1/2. I'm pretty much set on the BTL's right now because of the upgrading option as well. If the IA wont be sufficient, does anyone else have any other amps recomendations. Remember money IS an object lol

Thanks for the help so far,

Andrew

From past experience, I'd get the single BTL. Because 99% of us here upgrade sometime down the road. Why spend the money on 2 BLs when you'll probably end up with 2 BTLs.

Just my $.02

^^^

That's what I was thinking. I might as well do it right the first time. Does anyone know if a single IA 40.1 will power those subs nicely?

Hey guys. I'm in the process of picking up a Memphis 4k. Quite the difference from the original 2500 rms I was thinking lol. Now I just have to figure which is going to get me the best performance on a student budget. I can't make up my mind on which though. 2 15" BL's are right at $700 or I can do the 2 btl's which will be around 900 fully loaded. If I did the 2 15" BTL's and giving them only 2k a piece, what options would I need to have put on them?

Thanks

Andrew

if you do get the BTLs i would get it fully loaded cooling, HiXmCoil and third magnet that way if you decide to up the power you wont have to get different subs

If you get 2 btls with the thought of upgrading to a 2nd memphis 4k later, you'll want to get dual 2ohm coils so you can get the 4k at one ohm on one sub. In the mean time you'll have to run the amp at 2ohms, with only 1k per sub. This would make it easier on your electrical system till you upgrade, but you'd be underpowering the BTLs quite a bit.

If you ran just one BTL on 4krms and let the 2nd sub sit until you got a 2nd amp that would be pretty good, and again electrical upgrades would be a main priority.

If you don't want to make the jump to 8krms down the road I'd get the loaded d1 ohm BLs and call it a day- and put the extra 200 towards your charging system. That's my thoughts, good luck.

Thanks tej, i like your financial reasoning lol. I decided today before i buy anymore audio equiptment, im going to put my money into my electrical

Sign in to follow this