mfishmike

Update on my HT dual RLP15 & passive radiators

Mike, I want to thank you for the two new replacement drivers you sent me. Here is the update on the rebuilds....

BTW for those who don't know what happened. My wife blew out my last two drivers due to switiching to a Jurassic Park movie with the gains still set at full. She doesn't mess with the settings on the equipment. I am running a QSC 1450 amp to each driver. A 1450 watt amp is too much power for these drivers if not monitored by you! I over amp for low bass at low volumes for my music.

I divided the cabinet with heavy partitioning and made two cabinets in one reducing the cubes down to about 2.2 per cabinet, each having their own driver and two passives. Each driver is still being driven by it's own 1450 watt amplifier. It sounded absolutely disgusting. I tried to fix it with polyfil but that didn't help at all. I really didn't think this design would work but that is what this DIY is all about.

I went by your website specs for the cubic feet recommendation of around 5 cubes and removed the partion. I blocked one driver hole and two passive radiator holes and ended up with a single cabinet with a single driver and two passive radiators. It really sounded good, and if I had the time and patience I could have built a second cabinet and had a dual sub configuration in the LR but really don't have the room for the extra cabinet.

Yesterday, I removed the plugs and reinstalled the second driver and the other two passive radiators. Now I'm back to my original design with two active drivers and 4 passives in the single cabinet and the results are absolutely astounding. It sounds so much better. I wouldn't do it any other way. If I were to build a second cabinet, I would order two more drivers, 4 more passives, and build a duplicate. I would probably put each cabinet on a single 1450 amp.

One important note on the equipment setup with my design is that I have the preamp set to send everything from 40 hz and lower to the sub. I tried to bump it up to 60 hz but the bass isn't as clean. My big mains can easily handle everything down to the 40 hz anyway.

For all you looking to buy one or more of these Soundsplinter drivers, you won't be disappointed. If they don't sound good enough for you, that's an indication you didn't build the box right or don't have it powered correctly. I've now had 5 or 6 rebuilds with different drivers and the Soundsplinter still remains the King!

Mike is the best and most responsive driver supplier I've ever had to had the pleasure of working with!

Cudos to the Soundsplinter products and the awesome support! :horse:

This subwoofer is for sale now at $2,350 with two QSC RMX 1450 amps or $1,550 without them. Houston pick up only. I want to build a bigger one now and don't have room in the living room for both.

281-948-4270

Mike Cason

Edited by mfishmike

Right on Mike. I love your setup, thank you for posting!

Right on Mike. I love your setup, thank you for posting!

You're welcome.....I've spent many years building and rebuilding this system to get what Best Buy or Home Theater store doesn't have to offer. I love bragging on my good suppliers too!

Mike