carguy83

2.5 @ 30 to 3.5 @ 30 for my RLp 15

Right now, I'm running the RLp in a 2.5 ported box, tuned to 30hz via two four inch aero's. The output is pretty decent, and the response is still fairly linear. Right now, I'm itching to redo my trunk...again...to a bigger box. I plan a 3.5 cu ft tuned to 30 hz, with 57.75 sq inch of port area.

Will I notice a big increase in output? I already drew out the box plans, just debating if I want t go through with it since school is a b*tch right now. :(

Any insights is appreciated. Thanks.

Try to take care of work before play my man (though if you're workin' too hard, you'll need some play to stay sane!). You should definitely notice some increase in output with the larger enclosure, though personally, I would take a little bit of your peak SPL away, and tune down to 28 Hz for added low-frequency authority on the larger enclosure. This will also help flatten your response curve for a better listening experience IMO. Then again, if your primary goal is maximum output, stick with the higher tunings.

Try to take care of work before play my man (though if you're workin' too hard, you'll need some play to stay sane!). You should definitely notice some increase in output with the larger enclosure, though personally, I would take a little bit of your peak SPL away, and tune down to 28 Hz for added low-frequency authority on the larger enclosure. This will also help flatten your response curve for a better listening experience IMO. Then again, if your primary goal is maximum output, stick with the higher tunings.

thanks for the reply mike :) but yeah, i need to do something besides studyin or else i'm going to go crazy...

yeah i was debating a 28 hz tune to keep the output linear. would a 2 hz difference cause that big of a noticeable peak in the response? i'd figure 30 was a decently low tune, although i have built boxes with a 28 hz tune in my previous setups...and the low end was insane.

I've run them in 3cube boxes at 30 & 32Hz and preferred the 32Hz tune. Still sounded very flat, not boomy at all, but plenty of punch/authority, dropped low, and sounded louder.

You could always build it tuned higher and lengthen the port a few inches to drop the tune if you don't like it. I would "think" that going to 3.5cubes should help out with the lows, so a little higher tune might not hurt at all.

cool, thanks for that reply. :)

hopefully i don't lose too much low end with a 30 hz tune. i picked up some resin and some glass mat today (to strengthen the kerf bend).

i'll start on it as soon as i have some spare time. i'll take pics as well and post them.

were you overall pretty happy with 2.5 cubes tubed to 30. i'm thinking around trying one of these bad boys in a box just like that....