Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

High Wattage Passive Components

My friend is looking for some components and has about 175W @ 4 to play with and ofcourse wants to fill that void with speaks rated somewhere up there, but it seems to me there are more quality components in the sub 100W range.

I noticed there are few passive component sets that are rated up over 100W RMS. Are there any high wattage components that are highly recomended?

PS- Price range around 200-300

If the end user does not want to go active and has a powerful 2 channel amp, it is a fine choice.

No one has any experience with these components? I figure being kicker top of the line they may be worth something

No one has any experience with these components? I figure being kicker top of the line they may be worth something

I have not heard them, but they are supposedly very nice, for components.

Power handling will be pretty proportional to how low you expect any of them to play. I'd still pick the ones that sounded the best to me with some dynamic capability. Of course his needs and mine might be a bit different.

Power handling will be pretty proportional to how low you expect any of them to play. I'd still pick the ones that sounded the best to me with some dynamic capability. Of course his needs and mine might be a bit different.

And to add, power handling/midbass response is also a function of the install. If you are locating them in the doors, sealing your doors to provide the driver a nearly IB enclosure will be a HUGE improvement over not doing so... as will fully deadening & using a sound barrier. This will allow you to get lower/more accurate while using less power.

Doors will be sealed and deadened, and, as usual, there is no chance of being able to demo these speaks before hand

the Kicker SS components are very nice if you can power them, 175x4 should be enough. super loud and crisp, only complaint i have is lack of midbass

Which right there makes them a very bad set of components in my book. Of course the other option is to blame the install which is the primary cause for poor midbass.

the Kicker SS components are very nice if you can power them, 175x4 should be enough. super loud and crisp, only complaint i have is lack of midbass

Where were the components and were they properly deadened?

I thought about using these but after talking to a Kicker employee I decided not to. He recommends the set but he said to go active. He didn't like the passive crossover network very much.

this post was started from my friend i have just joined!

i now have decided to go active so now i have to make some selections!

cuz i really wanna get my system up and running! :D

:woot: active > passive, chit tons of options for drivers as well. Any idea on what you are going to use for processing?

oh, and btw :WELCOME:

i plan on running the kicker 850.4, with 2 channels bridged to the 2 10"s, and then leave the other 2 channels for the mid bass. and then get an another amp for the tweets doin like 50 rms x 2.

kicker amp specs http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3585_Kicker+KX850.4.html

so i will have 175 x2x 4ohms to work with for the mids. any suggestions?

Edited by Tmax98

Depends on the budget, mounting locations and crossover points...

That's still a decent amount of power at 8 ohms, so you have a lot of choices.

Depends on the budget, mounting locations and crossover points...

That's still a decent amount of power at 8 ohms, so you have a lot of choices.

do u think 50x2 isnt sufficent? i could splurge a lil and go like 75x2 or even 100x2 if its neccassary

If you use that deck and those amps, you still can't go active without adding a processor. I would suggest a different headunit for that reason alone.

Where are you getting those numbers from?

Sonic is funny and states the numbers at 14.4. The amp is truly rated at 90wx4 at a normal voltage. ;)

Sonic is funny and states the numbers at 14.4. The amp is truly rated at 90wx4 at a normal voltage. ;)

So your saying the 175x4@4Ohms@14.4V only puts out 90x4@4@like12.5V? And even so doesn't your vehicle run at 14.4V?

So your saying the 175x4@4Ohms@14.4V only puts out 90x4@4@like12.5V? And even so doesn't your vehicle run at 14.4V?

What Sean (M5) is saying is the big numbers they post are peak outputs full tilt. Always look for the 12 volt rating....better to be a little under rated than waaay over rated. I know where there is a mint Eclipse 8454 for sale for $250, has built in two way x-over plus a sub out and time alignment. Perfect for cutting your teeth in the active realm. If you have your heart set on the Pioneer, you will need a outboard crossover to do the dirty work. The are a ton of drivers out there that can be matched with the power you have on tap and give you a great sounding system. Sundown amps (on here) makes some great amps, for some great prices, Zed is another, and these truly come in under rated, not by a lot, but because they test them in real world conditions. If you have a hefty alt and the current available for them, they will outdo what they are rated for. You want some head room so when that big cymbal crash or kick-drum beat hits, it maintains it authority and clarity. Driving your amps into clipping even for a peak can be catostrphic (experience speaking there my friend). Let us know what your budget is, what you are trying to achieve (big SPL, total SQ, etc) and there are a lot of people on here that will steer you in the right direction.

Edited by finebar4