Sign in to follow this  
Guest zedman

Subwoofer suggestions

Guest zedman

Hello, Can you guys give me some suggestions on some subs that might work for me. I am looking at putting a Zed audio Deuce or possibly a couple of Miniliths into a Civic 4 door and use something other than the Rockford DVCs we have. I am thinking an Icon or Soundsplinter 10 or 12. I have about 2.5cubic feet to work with so that will limit what I do as well. I am comfortable doing slot ported and sealed boxes. I have a second battery and everything done I am just thinking about changing around the sub dept. for something that is more for sound quality but can get loud as well. We listen to most music except country. mostly it is bands like Hatebreed (lots of metal) Tori Amos Vivaldi and bands like STP and Candlebox. Thanks for your input I do appreciate your help. Z :thanx:

Both the Icon and Soundsplinter subs could work really well for you.

Cant go wrong with a digital designs woofer. 12 or 15.

You must have ignored his post and quest for SQ, he didn't ask for output.

What about two HQ 8" subs? You can run them in stereo.

Lol subs in stereo. That's pretty funny.

If you only have 2.5^3ft that kind of limits what you can do. Obviously most subs will sound better sealed, and with you wanting SQ, that would probably be the best route.

I haven't heard the ICON in a sealed box (only ported at this point), but I have heard multiple Soundsplinters in sealed boxes. Four the amount of space you have, a single RL-p 12 or two RL-i 10's would be good for you.

There's a reason for it, but not in a vehicle :)

It depends on the x-over point and the source material =-)

Again, like Jim said.. not in a vehicle.

What do you mean by crossover point? It'd be pretty silly to cross each sub of the same type over differently.

And source material? Do you know anyone that has 11.2 surround in their car? Because I sure don't. There are few theatres that even use it. 5.1 = mono sub(s).

Stereo would only apply if you are running your subs up front up to frequencies that become directional (aka midbass)

Guest zedman
Stereo would only apply if you are running your subs up front up to frequencies that become directional (aka midbass)

I appreciate all of your replies. I do want SQ and the soundsplinters are looking more and more appealing. I really do not have room for anything bigger than 12's in there and I do not mind swapping to 10's. I would forgo some sound quality for spl however I do not compete nor will I. I used to in the mid 90's and that is out of my system now. My wife just wants louder in the car and I really want SQ so a mix would be good. Something that is loud but sounds good. I have even thought about going with a Sundown audio saz1500 and 2 subs to increase the SPL as well; I am however, skeptical about trying new brands especially when I have found one that works well and is reliable now. Thanks again. Z :thanx:

Not intending to argue but, depending on the size of his other drivers, he may cross them as high as 120Hz. This is directional even in a car. Yes, it would be silly to cross subs at different frequencies... not what I said :-)

Again, like Jim said.. not in a vehicle.

What do you mean by crossover point? It'd be pretty silly to cross each sub of the same type over differently.

And source material? Do you know anyone that has 11.2 surround in their car? Because I sure don't. There are few theatres that even use it. 5.1 = mono sub(s).

*pukes --- 120Hz???

I can't stand subs that play higher than 50hz, 120hz is ridiculously lame. In a perfect world I wouldn't have subs, but midbasses that took care of everything up front. Midbass >>> sub bass

Guest zedman
*pukes --- 120Hz???

I can't stand subs that play higher than 50hz, 120hz is ridiculously lame. In a perfect world I wouldn't have subs, but midbasses that took care of everything up front. Midbass >>> sub bass

I have the subs crossed over at 70-75 and the mid bass is somewhat lacking in the car but we went with the largest speakers possible with out major modifications.

Install is more important than the drivers, if you just slap something into the stock holes it will sound well stock.