putergod

6.5 Component suggestion

I am looking for some high quality, high efficiency, 2 ohm 6 1/2 components for my GTO.

They will be running off of a US Amps USA-4300x.

Sound quality is most important with output being a very very close second (hence wanting 2 ohms and high efficiency).

So, any suggestions for high quality (in sound and build), high output 6 1/2's?

Price cut-off is < $500

Yes, I'm aware of that, and those facts are weighed in.

Are you interested in going active? Opens up a TON of options, at a better bang-for-buck.

Money and space are the limiting factors here. I don't have room for another amp (nor do I want to have to A. find one, and B. buy one).

My current system is:

2 12" Eclipse SW8122DVC subs powered by a US Amps USA-1000x

USA-4300x for the mids/highs

Audio Control EQS

Kenwood DNX7100

Right now the factory speakers are running off the Kenwood. The rest of the equipment goes in when I decide on speakers, and my sub boxes show up.

Other equipment I have:

Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pros

Boston Acoustics 5.5 Pros

Boston Acoustics RM9 6x9's

Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0

Mounting locations in the car:

6.5's in the doors

Tweeters in dash

6.5's in the rear side panles

7" factory subs in rear deck

Basically what I want is maximum volume out of the 4300x while maintaining excellent sound quality.

Thanks!

Please explain.

Huh? What, exactly, do you mean?

I know all about voltages, resistances, and such, I am an Electronics Technician in the US Navy.

My Bostons have a fairly low efficiency rating (90db) and are 3 Ohm while the Infinity Kappa 60.7CS ar 2Ohm with a 95db efficiency. The Infinity's ar rated at 2.83v/1m while the Bostons are 1w/1m. Those are within a db of each other in the real world. So, my point is I want speakers that are high TRUE efficiency while also being 2Ohm so I can get MAXIMUM output with the equipment I have.

You won't find true high efficiency speakers that will work for you, for a number of good technical reasons. One is you can't fit the enclosures you'd need to get good results out of them in your doors.

90dB/W is not that inefficient.

You won't find true high efficiency speakers that will work for you, for a number of good technical reasons. One is you can't fit the enclosures you'd need to get good results out of them in your doors.

90dB/W is not that inefficient.

I guess I'm still too "old school" where speakers reached 98db @ 1w/1m.

If I just used the Bostons, I have another problem.

My current car has two locations for 6.5's, and none for 5.25's. I have one set of each. I also have the older version of them and am not sure how well they will compliment the newer version.

Specs of mine:

ProSeries 6.5

Nominal Size 6 1/2 inches (165mm)

Recomended Amplifier Power 20-400 watts

Frequency Response 50Hz

Edited by Mike M

I guess I'm still too "old school" where speakers reached 98db @ 1w/1m.

Yes, but what kind of enclosures did those take to get any bass response, because the cone was so light and there was so little linear travel ;)

I have a pair of 96dB/W 6.5's I'm going to be using right now...and to get a decent response down to 40Hz, they're going in cabinets that are taller than me.

Show me a set of speakers that are actually that sensitive in a sealed environment, with decent off axis response, and respectable bass performance, and I will literally run out and buy them for my monoblocks now :)

But all of this is pretty moot because in a vehicle, you have much bigger things to worry about, like the aforementioned off axis response, timbre, tonality, frequency extension, cone breakup, all that fun stuff. Unless you're going with Brax amplification, the power side of things is pretty much taken care of.

Please explain.

Huh? What, exactly, do you mean?

I know all about voltages, resistances, and such, I am an Electronics Technician in the US Navy.

My Bostons have a fairly low efficiency rating (90db) and are 3 Ohm while the Infinity Kappa 60.7CS ar 2Ohm with a 95db efficiency. The Infinity's ar rated at 2.83v/1m while the Bostons are 1w/1m. Those are within a db of each other in the real world. So, my point is I want speakers that are high TRUE efficiency while also being 2Ohm so I can get MAXIMUM output with the equipment I have.

Thank you for elaborating. There is no such thing as what you ask for. You will find no benefit from going from an 8ohm driver to a 2ohm, but the opposite in fact which of course Jim has already outlined.