Sign in to follow this  
UNIT 6639

Can FI Recone a TC 3HP motor?

I am buying a 3hp motor from TC sounds, I would like to know if FI can recone it. If so, what are my options or what can I recone it to?

I know/think that the 12 spoke baskets FI sells will fit this motor, so I am definatly ordering one of those. But, which recon kit should I go with, I want to recone to a 15" and I would like DVC 1 ohm coils, I will be running this 15" off a Kicker Kx 2500.1 at 2 ohms, so what options will I need on the recone kit for the hybrid sub to handle 2500 watts?

I know I want the daily option and whatever its going to take to handle my amp as far as the coils go. I really would like a BL recone kit, not interested in the BTL but if its cheaper to just get a standard BTL recone kit with the daily option vs getting an upgraded BL kit I would go with the BTL.

Please respond :D

I am buying a 3hp motor from TC sounds, I would like to know if FI can recone it. If so, what are my options or what can I recone it to?
You can go as large as 18". That's what I'm doing with my four 3HP neo motors.
I know/think that the 12 spoke baskets FI sells will fit this motor, so I am definatly ordering one of those.
I think the 12 spoke basket has the same mounting holes as the 6 spoke baskets that I received. Mine had six mounting holes and didn't even come close to the four holes on my motors. Scott is building an adapter ring for each motor.

For my pair of 3HP ceramic motors, I just went with TC Sounds top assemblies. Since my 3HP motors were from the Lightning Audio Storm series, they were not tapped on the sides to bolt to the top assemblies. I ordered my assemblies without the wire screens that protect the voice coils. Even then, I had to drill 4 holes into the bottom of each assembly. Careful drilling of a pilot hole and then a larger hole into the aluminum frame was pretty easy. I also used a piece of wood to keep the drill bit from puncturing the spider when it broke through the metal.

I've been listening to my 15" TC-3000/LA Storm hybrids in my home theater since January. They are unbelievable with 1,000w each on them.

-Robert

I know/think that the 12 spoke baskets FI sells will fit this motor, so I am definatly ordering one of those. But, which recon kit should I go with, I want to recone to a 15" and I would like DVC 1 ohm coils, I will be running this 15" off a Kicker Kx 2500.1 at 2 ohms, so what options will I need on the recone kit for the hybrid sub to handle 2500 watts?

I know I want the daily option and whatever its going to take to handle my amp as far as the coils go. I really would like a BL recone kit, not interested in the BTL but if its cheaper to just get a standard BTL recone kit with the daily option vs getting an upgraded BL kit I would go with the BTL.

Please respond :D

A few things I guess you get mixed up.

You cant just throw a BL, or BTL coil in another motor and go wang. Its not near that simple. You hafta get a coil that works for teh motor your reconing. Sometimes, same coils can work in different motors, but rarely, unless designed that way.

Also theres not daily option on recone kits. When referring to teh daily option on ficaraudio.com, is a less tighter gap in teh motor so teh coil dont rub.

Ok, I thought the daily option was a soft part thing. Also, I know you cant just throw any coil in there, I am just wondering from what lines would I have to choose from.

What I am hearing on other forums is, Scott will have to whip something special up for the 3hp motor, not just send me out a regular recone kit.

In any case, I am waiting on Scott, Nick or Shawn to see what they have to say. Thanks everyone for responding :D

Ok, I thought the daily option was a soft part thing. Also, I know you cant just throw any coil in there, I am just wondering from what lines would I have to choose from.

What I am hearing on other forums is, Scott will have to whip something special up for the 3hp motor, not just send me out a regular recone kit.

In any case, I am waiting on Scott, Nick or Shawn to see what they have to say. Thanks everyone for responding :D

I e-mailed Scott a few times and then talked to him once when placing the order. We discussed how I plan on using the subs (IB for home theater) and how I will power them (Behringer EP-2500) but in the end, I let him pick what would work best. He is the expert.

-Robert

I'm unsure of how the 3hp mounts to the basket, if it has the standard 6 holes like our 12 spoke baskets do then yeah i know we can build something up for them...

If they attach like the lighting audio storm baskets then the motor would have to be sent in for machining to attach our basket to it....

Hopefully i'll find out tonight.

Thanks

-Nick

Ok generally speaking we can recone it.

However we can only use our 12 spoke basket and recone it if it has the 6 holes in the top plate on 5" 137mm pattern.

If the motor(s) do not have that then they have to be sent in and machined, but we can still build something up for them.

Thanks

-Nick

Nick , could you quote me a price with return shipping from FI and for the full recone kit with basket and gasket included please?

The 3HP motor has a 4 bolt pattern on top of the motor as well as 4 bolts on the side for the quick change TC Sounds top assemblies. The 12 spoke basket (or the 6 spoke 18" basket in my case) is not a direct bolt on. Scott is supposed to be making me a set of adapter rings but it has been 3 weeks since I received my baskets, gaskets and soft parts. It has also been 5 days since I e-mailed him and no reply. I placed my order in July and I still don't have all the parts in.

-Robert

The 3HP motor has a 4 bolt pattern on top of the motor as well as 4 bolts on the side for the quick change TC Sounds top assemblies. The 12 spoke basket (or the 6 spoke 18" basket in my case) is not a direct bolt on. Scott is supposed to be making me a set of adapter rings but it has been 3 weeks since I received my baskets, gaskets and soft parts. It has also been 5 days since I e-mailed him and no reply. I placed my order in July and I still don't have all the parts in.

-Robert

i'm getting a 3hp motor w/ a claw basket. do you have to change baskets? could you just get a recone to go w/ the claw basket?

i'm getting a 3hp motor w/ a claw basket. do you have to change baskets? could you just get a recone to go w/ the claw basket?
Is a claw basket the same depth as the standard basket that Fi uses? That is critical in getting the voice coil centered vertically in the magnetic gap.

-Robert

Is a claw basket the same depth as the standard basket that Fi uses? That is critical in getting the voice coil centered vertically in the magnetic gap.

-Robert

i don't know the height. i haven't got it yet. i'm kinda waiting to see what i can do as far as recones go before i purchase a motor that i can't recone...or is gonna be ungodly expensive. i guess i'd have to pic up a basket too? i don't know what the fi baskets are but in the pic this 3hp has 6 bolts...

The claw can be used.

Scott should have the dimensions for the claw 15 because I measured them with my calipers and sent them to him before he built my recone for my 15 sexxx.

hmmm wat about the old school 4 spoke baskets wat bolt pattern do those have?

The claw can be used.

Scott should have the dimensions for the claw 15 because I measured them with my calipers and sent them to him before he built my recone for my 15 sexxx.

thats good to know...but nick said he'd have to talk to scott, and i'd have to send it in, because evedintly theres different 3hp motors...

The claw can be used.

thats good to know...but nick said he'd have to talk to scott, and i'd have to send it in, because evedintly theres different 3hp motors...

there were several different 3hp variations..

Off topic , but what could you guys do with a tc-9 motor, anything 18"? 15"?

Should be able to do anything with it.. it is a pretty standard motor.. i have seen fi recone em bofore.

Should be able to do anything with it.. it is a pretty standard motor.. i have seen fi recone em bofore.
That's why I got eight TC-9 motors with 1" mags from TC Sounds. I'm going to put my 18" recone kits on four of them. If they work out, I'll recone the other four the same way. It will be nice having a total of eight 18's in my home theater.

Then I'll take my neo 3HP motors and recone for smaller, sealed boxes. Probably 15's or 18's. Using those motors in an IB configuration would have been a waste of BL.

-Robert

yeh. i was probably going to jump on a couple of those tc9 motors theyre getting rid of.

dont know whats the differance between the underhung/copper in gap vs the dual 1" slugs?

im going to assume they would be good with 1000-1500wrms a piece...

That's why I got eight TC-9 motors with 1" mags from TC Sounds. I'm going to put my 18" recone kits on four of them. If they work out, I'll recone the other four the same way. It will be nice having a total of eight 18's in my home theater.

Then I'll take my neo 3HP motors and recone for smaller, sealed boxes. Probably 15's or 18's. Using those motors in an IB configuration would have been a waste of BL.

-Robert

i ordered 10 tc9's, 10 3hp's, a few lmt's, and 6 neo 3hp's (couldnt pass em up at the $75 each i was offered them for:)) also some tc7's, and others:) cant wait to get em:)

dont know whats the differance between the underhung/copper in gap vs the dual 1" slugs?

im going to assume they would be good with 1000-1500wrms a piece...

The regular TC9 motors are for overhung designs. That's where the voice coil windings are longer than the thickness of the top plate. For example, my 3HP neo motors have a 35mm top plate. The voice coil on the 18" recone kit is 60mm long. Undernung means that the top plate thickness is more than the voice coil length. My guess is that overhung TC9 motors are left over from the Audiomobile Mass/SVS Ultra line.

Copper in the gap of either design will lower the inductance and eddy currents. I've got some Lambda Acoustic 10's that are desparate for a recone but no one has 2" voice coils. These motors are packed with copper.

i ordered 10 tc9's, 10 3hp's, a few lmt's, and 6 neo 3hp's (couldnt pass em up at the $75 each i was offered them for:)) also some tc7's, and others:) cant wait to get em:)
I got my two 3HP ceramic and four 3HP neo motors when High Desert Audio on Ebay. They are the motors from the Lightning Audio Storm series. I paid between $22 and $35 plus shipping for each of my six motors.

-Robert

I got my two 3HP ceramic and four 3HP neo motors when High Desert Audio on Ebay. They are the motors from the Lightning Audio Storm series. I paid between $22 and $35 plus shipping for each of my six motors.

-Robert

nice! very good deals.. i used to buy those also:) too bad they are gone!

Sign in to follow this