Sign in to follow this  
truckaudioman

Bit by the SQ bug

So my grandfather comes down for a visit in his new car, one of those two seater fast driving Caddy's, nice car. He sits and listens to my system, seems to love it. Out of no where this 72 yr old throws me in his car and cranks up his radio. He has an SQ setup using 3 10" eclipse subs (not sure what type, but nice), and two sets of Rainbow Germaniums. That stuff sounded nice. For the first time I was listening to something that didn't just throw out so much bass that is almost all you could hear.

To make things better, my old lady is makin me sell one of my trucks to get a car in the next couple months, meaning a new setup. I will probably be on here asking all sorts of questions about comp sets and equalizers and such, so just wanted to say thanks in advance cause I have no clue what I am doing this time, lol.

Good luck!

SQ is more fun to listen to daily, IMO.

Go thank an old man for introducing you to something new :)

Diyma forums will probably be a big help for you too, theres a TON of knowledge there.

I wouldn't say a TON of knowledge. There are SOME knowledgeable people, and a lot of good driver reviews & measurements.

I wouldn't say a TON of knowledge. There are SOME knowledgeable people, and a lot of good driver reviews & measurements.

You are picking nits now, but the info that is posted blows most other forums away for quantity. Just have to filter who knows their stuff, just like any other forum.

You are picking nits now, but the info that is posted blows most other forums away for quantity. Just have to filter who knows their stuff, just like any other forum.

I agree with Neon. It used to be a great forum, but I can hardly stand the average puke that floats around on it now. There is indeed a lot of good driver info, but unless you have been around a bunch it is pretty damn hard to sort through.

whew, good luck, to much work for me to try and get it set up perfectly.

Edited by Xibalba

Old lady wants a Chrysler 300, I want a Dodge Charger....we are a "larger" couple, lol. So it is gonna be one of those two. I was lookin at possibly cuttin out the speakers that are baffle mounted behind the back seats and installing a couple 10's there with an IB sealed off in trunk, if that made any sense at all. Component wise, the only real decent components I have heard were the RE XXX comp set, so I will be lookin up various drivers other than those. Only other real idea I had was a something like 3 tens sealed in the trunk or IB completely in the trunk, not sure as to which yet.

That reminds me, which FI line is the better SQ sub, the Q right?

Edited by truckaudioman

Those cars are great for midbass installs, mainly because they have factory 6x9 locations in the door.

I recommend a single 15" Q IB (ask Scott about custom IB Q subwoofers), 8" midbass, 3-4" midrange & 1" tweeter 3-way actively crossed-over.

If you want just a 2 way component install, a 8" midbass like the Peerless Exclusive or Seas CA21RNX + a large format tweeter or Fostex 3" wideband driver would be ideal IMO.

Hate to ask, but where is his install located at, tried to look for it with no luck.

And neon, would you recommend turning the rear deck into the spot I put the IB or just install it in the trunk?

Edited by truckaudioman

I think that would look better and probably sound better in the long run too. Firing forward? U talkin about firing toward the front of the car or the back of the car? Lastly, how do sealed subs sound compared to IB subs?

Edited by truckaudioman

Ib = theoretically infinite sealed enclosure.

Borrowed from exmaxima1 on DIYMA

But a true Infinite Baffle enclosure is just an "infinitely" large sealed box. There is no cancellation of the front bass wave from the rear bass wave. The rolloff follows the same criteria as a sealed box. If the woofer has a Qts of .707, it will roll off at 12 dB/oct at the Fs of the woofer (F3 = Fs). If the Qts is higher or lower, it will follow the same curves as a sealed box of the same Qtc.

Firing forward = firing into cabin, rear of sub in the trunk. You can position the subwoofers the other way too, doesn't make a difference in sound.

Another larger car you may want to consider is the 2006+ Hyundai Sonata.

I drove a 300 for a couple weeks and was not impressed, tried a few other dodge products cause I wanted rear wheel drive, but ended up being hugely impressed by the sonata.

All this talk about IB has me wanting to try it, maybe next install... I'm sure it'll be soon the way I swap out subs.

Just have to remember that the effectiveness of an IB install is HUGELY dependant on the drivers you choose & install you do on the more important speakers that reproduce the musical information on a track. The subwoofer in a good SQ install is the last thing you should be concentrating on.

I have a long road ahead of me trying to plan everything out and workin on this. I am still checkin out various comp sets with 8" drivers and such, so if you wanna drop a few good names I would appreciate it. I know you left a couple already. It is gonna be a long build I can imagine.

What would be the difference overall between running a single 15" compared to 3 10's. They both sound good, but I think 3 10's would be very sexy in the end. But hey, just curious.

Edited by truckaudioman

First thing is to start breaking free about thinking about comp sets alone...if you're starting from scratch, no reason not to piece together individual drivers and go active :) Learning about those requires doing a lot of reading on various forums about what people are hearing, but most of all, listening to as much stuff as you can for yourself. There's no substitute for that, and it never ends...

What would be the difference overall between running a single 15" compared to 3 10's. They both sound good, but I think 3 10's would be very sexy in the end. But hey, just curious.

Would depend on the drivers in question, and how you wanted things to look. In some installs I might want a single 15" for aesthetic reasons, in other cases the 3 10's would fit better with the scheme of things. If you're using capable woofers I wouldn't see a problem with either.

I am gonna use Fi Q's obviously, gotta rep. And thanks, I am way to excited to hear a real SQ setup for the first time, even though it will be a month or so before i get it going real well.

Get ready for the most involved install you have ever done. It will be worth it though.

lol, thanks. I keep going out to my truck and listening to the music now. Before it sounded loud and good to me, with lots of bass also. Now I listen to it and everything seems muddy and nothing really stands out....i can almost not stand it anymore.

Sign in to follow this