SilviaVsSupra

G35 Coupe for LSQ whats the best choice?

if you havent seen how small the trunk is on this car, motor trend stated specifically that it was about 7.1 cubes TOTAL!

i cant lose the space under the floor because there is no other room for amps/batteries, and i have to leave about 10 inches from the box to the very back of the trunk for tools and etc.

with this said, the question is; what is the best design and setup for maximum SPL with keeping it in daily drive limits? i worked up a few partial boxes and havent really made one that pleases me yet.

the biggest so far is two seperates (against rear seat, L and R) 1.6 cubes, each for a 12". sub must be on a mild angle toward trunk lid. is this adequate for a sub like a mojo or loaded BL? would BTL's be out of the question? i read somewhere that the 12" BL's dont need much space to be ported, but with 1.6, is it possible to tune to low 30s? or should i ditch the 12's and put the boxes together and put 1 15" BTL (id rather not)

il post some pics of the enclosures ive come up with so far if it helps.. input would be wonderful, thanks

Edited by SilviaVsSupra

thinking that a single BTL "12 in false floor enclosure with ports through the back seat. this way il have excess airspace and ill be able to tune to 34hz. wondering if anyone has any input on this setup before i pull the trigger

First things first, how much space are you really willing to give up.

well it depends on how they will be setup, all i have to fit in the trunk is work tools and school supplies, so im basically fine with just about 2cubes of trunkspace remaining, but if i do the false floor idea and use the entire spare tire airspace, i shouldnt be losing any space at all, except for batts and amps and blah blah

Okay, let me rephrase that. What internal volume can you get out of your sub box.

Okay, let me rephrase that. What internal volume can you get out of your sub box.

i can get up to 4cubes.. any bigger and the box isnt going to be removable.

JoeHemi57; yes i am looking for spl, but its gotta be something i can listen to, im not going to be competing SQ obviously..

ok a basic question, im gonna try a 12" in the kicks, but the box will be in the floor and be over 2 cubes each, would the overall shape of the box make a difference in sound? it would be rather oblong, but i think its the only way to get over 2 cubes on each enclsure. this way i can port and tune for larger subs.. but how much does shape account for?

ok a basic question, im gonna try a 12" in the kicks, but the box will be in the floor and be over 2 cubes each, would the overall shape of the box make a difference in sound? it would be rather oblong, but i think its the only way to get over 2 cubes on each enclsure. this way i can port and tune for larger subs.. but how much does shape account for?

No major quick turns, no tight quarters and you are fine. I'd love to see pictures!!

12" in the kicks ? HUH ??? damn those gonna be some big kicks :D Enclosure shape really doesn't matter much for sub enclosures in cars unless your talking humongoid spl enclosures. :)

A 12" midbass from B&C or JBL and a set of horns would kick ass...no subs needed, at all :)

That'd be something I'd want to hear...

12" in the kicks ? HUH ??? damn those gonna be some big kicks :D Enclosure shape really doesn't matter much for sub enclosures in cars unless your talking humongoid spl enclosures. :)

just to clear it up, i DID mean kicks of the trunk lol as in corners of the trunk?

for example;

that was an idea a while ago but decided not to go that route, i already know its junk, kthanks

DSC02441.jpg

Ohhhhhhh okay , that makes more sense to me. I'm old man . gotta help me along sometimes :D yeah sure that's fine, I have done a bajillion installs just like that. Never had a problem with any :)

ive been arguing with myself to try the iCON 12" sub, ive only heard good about it, but i have never heard one before, and i dont know of anyone in my area with one.. anyone use these in south florida?

ive been arguing with myself to try the iCON 12" sub, ive only heard good about it, but i have never heard one before, and i dont know of anyone in my area with one.. anyone use these in south florida?

I don't think anyone has one down there yet. Since it is such a small line so far, so few people even know about the SSA subs yet. I can tell you this, that if you had one, you would be the first in your area. Lol, not sure if that matters, just saying. 2.0-2.25 would be plenty ported for a single ICON 12.

Almost impossible to know without testing in your car. Marks 2 15's were close to 150, but things change if you are ported with a low freq or a higher peakier freq.

The real estimation is some serious bumping, but other than that it will really be up to the install.

well ive got everything else down pat, its basically set to just the sub and the box, its gonna have ample power, and what ever processer i choose i have someone thats gonna help me tune everything as good as it gets. thats why i was curious as to box requirements.. ive seen some serious spl boxes use internal channels that made quite an impressive difference. has anyone compared these side by side to a JL 12w7 for example? im thinking of buying a few subs and trying each, find the one i like the most and tweak the enclosure as much i can

IN my dealings with the w7's . They aren't the most spl oriented sub. They can get loud , but there are so many better suited subs for the task at half the price . :)

thats basically how i feel about them too.. the biggest grime i have with them is that 750watts burnt the voicoil and spider to the point of being stuck at full excursion.. and that was a w7, and they want 320 to fix it.. haaa... haa... haaaa.... yea how about no.

im going to buy a few subs and test them all out.. a mojo, rockford t2 and iCON decide which i like the most and get another most likely, i think i got a pretty wide variety of subs in that choice so it should give me a much better idea at what to look for.. i should start preparing the credit cards =D

Out of those three, the Icon should really shine.

They are all very different in purpose, design, and power handeling.

yea thats what i figured, this way il be able to distinguish that specific sound im looking for.. think il probably buy one at a time so i can still have enough to throw at my front stage and processor!!