Radik

Newbie...Rl-S

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum, but have been viewing it for a while, so excuse any ignorance if any. A few weeks ago i was in the market for a single or pair of 15"s and was heavily considering sound splinter, but ended up getting a pair of 07 Orion HCCAS instead becuase of a great deal. However, i use my girl's car quite a bit too and would like a great system in it also. So my attention is on the Rl-S again. I would just like to know if this sub would be perfect for me and my listening tastes. I listen to mainly Dancehall reggae, soca and hip hop. I'm definately not an SQ fan, more so LSQ, i like looowww, ground shaking bass. The loudest previous systems I've ran consisted of 6 12"s (pioneer 2000 SPLS) or 4 15"s (mofos). The loudest single sub I've owned has been a RE XXX (pre 06 models). I've always been a fan of 12"s, however I've found to get better results with 15"s. My only gripe with the 15"s is the big enclosure requirements. I have only around 9 or so 3^ft to work with. What's the smallest ported enclosure i can run 2 15"s in? Or what other enclosures should i consider or try? (as long as it yields the results i desire i will be very happy). So would a pair of 15" Rl-S or 3 12" Rl-S fit me? I don't know the capabilities of these subs, so please tell me if I'm going overboard.....Thanx for any help.........

Edited by Radik

I'm definately not an SQ fan, more so LSQ,

Can we get the filter removed please? :)

If you can't fit large enclosures...I wouldn't recommend the RL-S...

What you really mean is a mixture of SQ and SPL, what I said in that post wasn't directed at you so much but just a general thing. "SQL" is a bad, bad, bad term.

Have you looked into 15's that take a smaller enclosure? Maybe if you tuned the RL-S's high enough you could fit them, but then you'd be sacrificing low end and transient response.

BTW, what's soca? I'm assuming it's kind of in the vein of the other genres you mentioned, but I've never heard of it before so I don't know.

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum, but have been viewing it for a while, so excuse any ignorance if any. A few weeks ago i was in the market for a single or pair of 15"s and was heavily considering sound splinter, but ended up getting a pair of 07 Orion HCCAS instead becuase of a great deal. However, i use my girl's car quite a bit too and would like a great system in it also. So my attention is on the Rl-S again. I would just like to know if this sub would be perfect for me and my listening tastes. I listen to mainly Dancehall reggae, soca and hip hop. I'm definately not an SQ fan, more so LSQ, i like looowww, ground shaking bass. The loudest previous systems I've ran consisted of 6 12"s (pioneer 2000 SPLS) or 4 15"s (mofos). The loudest single sub I've owned has been a RE XXX (pre 06 models). I've always been a fan of 12"s, however I've found to get better results with 15"s. My only gripe with the 15"s is the big enclosure requirements. I have only around 9 or so 3^ft to work with. What's the smallest ported enclosure i can run 2 15"s in? Or what other enclosures should i consider or try? (as long as it yields the results i desire i will be very happy). So would a pair of 15" Rl-S or 3 12" Rl-S fit me? I don't know the capabilities of these subs, so please tell me if I'm going overboard.....Thanx for any help.........

u can actually get away with using 2 rl-s 15's in 9 cubes but it has 2 be 9 cubes after port and sub displacement ...i think u should tune the box to 36hz with 120 square inch port..as for power i would recommend the stetsom 2k6d http://www.stetsom.com.br/eng/Produtos.aspx

2600watts @ 2ohms on 12.6volts and 3k on 13.8volts

O there underated by the way fing05.gif

so that setup will do u lovely...im a big fan of the rls series....so u should be happy with them

Personally, I really really do not recommend the RL-s in a ported enclosure. They are much better suited for sealed enclosures. If you prefer ported, you're better off using a few RL-p's.

What you really mean is a mixture of SQ and SPL, what I said in that post wasn't directed at you so much but just a general thing. LSQ is a bad, bad, bad term.

Have you looked into 15's that take a smaller enclosure? Maybe if you tuned the RL-S's high enough you could fit them, but then you'd be sacrificing low end and transient response.

BTW, what's soca? I'm assuming it's kind of in the vein of the other genres you mentioned, but I've never heard of it before so I don't know.

soca is normally in association with clypso(sp?)

its music from the westindies(sp?)

Soca is a genre that stems from Calypso based from the Caribbean ( I'm from St.Lucia, now residing in Toronto). That's the music usually played at Caribana, and carnival, etc. In terms of power, I would get a RF T4000Bd for the pair. I was even considering free air (or I.B. i guess you'll call it) with the subs fring into the cabin, usng the trunk as the enclosure......What do you'll think???

Edited by Radik

If you say you're definitely not an SQ fan, I wouldn't recommend IB. While it'll sound better and it'd be what I'd do personally, you'll give up a lot of output to get that.

I agree you say not an SQ fan and that means no to the IB, plus even though there is no box I consider the IB installation the most difficult and time consuming. Way more work than building a box. Just a little FYI free air and IB are NOT the same. Free air literally means playing in a free condition, IB is similar but the back wave and front wave are completely isolated from each other. There is no such thing as a good free air car subwoofer installation. It would be like setting a raw driver in your back seat.

Ok I guess the 15"s are a no go. How about a pair of 12"s, what can I expect and is this a better route.....

It's like the people have said... the RL-s is not really for someone looking for a loud vented box system. If your emphasis was on sound quality, these drivers would give ya what you need and then some in a sealed or IB alignment... but the high Q is just not very conducive to porting, and there are other options that would suit your application much better - like the RL-p for one! ;)

You'd be better off going with 1-2 12" or 15" RL-p's. Much better for the output your looking for. You still get geat SQ, but they get damn loud doing it. I've ran many of the RL-p's, and have had great output with them.