sundownz

8 inch woofer?

James would finally be able to offer a decent upgrade for all the titan owners with the RF system that just want under front seat subs.

Hmmm... didn't think about that! I'll have to ask James about it.

if they were shallow enough and would have decent LFE i might put them behind the seats of the fiero (they'd have to be decently efficient too). If they would extend a little higher i would consider them as midbasses but fitting an 8 in the door is a PITA when you like small vehicles. if they were IB compatible i'd buy them "just in case".

Would they have a stamped or cast basket?

Probably stamped, the proto will be stamped. A nice one, though :)

if they were shallow enough and would have decent LFE i might put them behind the seats of the fiero (they'd have to be decently efficient too). If they would extend a little higher i would consider them as midbasses but fitting an 8 in the door is a PITA when you like small vehicles. if they were IB compatible i'd buy them "just in case".

Gotta pick two :) LFE, small box, and high efficiency -- can't have em all.. I picked more LFE and small box, so they aren't incredibly efficient. Of course, on subs, efficiency is kind of a misnomer... as a sub with a lower "sensitivity" will usually have more output down low.

For instance, I modeled two sets of parameters -- one set lost 3 dB of sensitivity but had more output under 50 Hz at even one watt levels. That is the one I went with as most people consider "sub" output to be pretty low.

They are IB compatible in-car. IB requirements are a bit different in-vehicle, notice how low the Qts is on the Adire Koda 6 midbass? Ever heard one? :) I talked to Dan about this and IB is totally different in-car than in-home due to the small cabin and how the doors actually behave as enclosures.

Extension will likely be limited by cone resonance around ~200 Hz on the top end as it's not a cone made for anything more than low-end work.

:(

Jim :) Don't worry man, I'll take care of you later. This one is made to be a SUB, just happens to do okay on lower midbass too.

I have a midbass / midrange in the works... trying to get protos. You'll have to listen to them. Unfortunately production won't be incredibly soon, but I should have prototypes before the end of the year!

i don't want balls to the walls efficiency, just not something that needs more than a couple hundred watts.

:(

Jim :) Don't worry man, I'll take care of you later. This one is made to be a SUB, just happens to do okay on lower midbass too.

I have a midbass / midrange in the works... trying to get protos. You'll have to listen to them. Unfortunately production won't be incredibly soon, but I should have prototypes before the end of the year!

some of us would port a mid if it truly does what you think it could

Jacob....

I would LOVE to see you make a component set (6-1/2 mid and 1" tweeter) that is made to be fully active and a nice match for the sax 100.4.....................

just throwing stuff out at you my man

There are so many nice tweeters that I would focus on things that aren't on the market. Even if you packaged an off the shelf tweet with a 7" driver as a component set it would be cool, but I don't really see the need to spend the R&D money to develop a tweeter.

.185 cu. ft. sealed...so what would the dimensions on this box be? Just curious.

Could be thousands of different shapes... but lets just say you could do 9 x 9 x 4 "

That is, if the sub will fit in 4" depth *laughs* Final depth is pending final basket selection. Chances are if you are running just one, sealed, you will have to make a slightly larger box just to get the woofer in it :)

.185 cu. ft. sealed...so what would the dimensions on this box be? Just curious.

Could be thousands of different shapes... but lets just say you could do 9 x 9 x 4 "

That is, if the sub will fit in 4" depth *laughs* Final depth is pending final basket selection. Chances are if you are running just one, sealed, you will have to make a slightly larger box just to get the woofer in it :)

Pretty small box.

Pretty small box.

Indeed, it will essentially go in any box you can fit it in. So it'll be great for tight areas.

E8_Photos.jpg

Photo of the prototype... coming in soon for testing. It was a scanned photo, so my apology for the quality.

Chrome is for the prototype only, it will get a black basket and steel parts for production.

Preliminary T/S are pretty close to my goals... actual measured T/S will be posted once it arrives and is broken in.

PS: It will also receive a rubber gasket, and not the "front" gasket that is shown.

Anyone want to help me design the cosmetic packaging?

I'm in when their produced. They'll look better with the black basket and a gasket/ring will make the look good. I'll replace my 2 TB 8's with 4 of these :)

If they do as well in real life as they do on paper for the dollar... then they will be a go. They model out quite well in theory, testing will be coming soon :)

Looks promising.

Looks promising.

Indeed, I'm pretty excited about them.

This basket was chosen for the spider plateua venting. I also integrated gap vents in the back plate. These two features will dramatically increase long term thermal power handling vs. other lower cost 8" subs out there. Xmax is very healthy for the price / depth at 12.2 mm by the 70% BL method and with a full 22 mm of x-mech before coil hits back plate (I typed incorrectly when I said 18mm in the original post).

Pricing is TBA, but a pre-order will be offered to get some of these out there to the public right away for reviews and feedback. More information about that is coming soon.

jacob i think if u cant do 8's look into driver with the adire xbl2 technology, RE XXX mids, Extremis, Kodas, etc... i saw some kodas floating around the diymobileaudio forums and some xxx mids on caraudio.com forums... for extremis id buy new from kyle in acoustic visions

Mike-

but anyways about the 8's i always wanted to try 8's but im sorry if i went 8's id go rl-i's for ported =[.