Sign in to follow this  
Guest MvdL

Opinions needed.

Guest MvdL

Hi guys,

my first post. :)

Anyways, I currently have 3x MB Quarts PW 302 subwoofers powered by a Rockford Fosgate 1501BD mono amp running at 1.3 Ohms stable. :)

The problem is, I really don't like the sound quality / bass from the MB Quart subwoofers.

Now I'm considering replacing them for 3x 12" SI D2 subwoofers.

Will I be better off with those subwoofers? And are they better with bass and tight response in contrary to the MB Quart subwoofers?

I mostly listen the following music: Techno, hardtrance, hardstyle and hardcore. Which all need a good low/deep bass but still very accurate and responsive.

Help please.

Thanks.

get 2 15s.

wow damn now i think about it just 1 12 was hard enough for me to handle much less 2 15's.

but if your a big basshead youll be better off with 15 since they handle lows better.

but all the magnums are retarded accurate with every note. they are like the best SQ driver available,

What enclosure are the Quarts in? Perhaps you need a different one. I would also agree with the pair of 15s. Could save you a little space and woould work perfectly for a final 2 ohm load on that RF. All aside, I would fiddle with the Quarts some more though. The Magnums are just amazing, but if you already have the drivers, why not attempt to tune them before buying new?

Guest MvdL

Well before I continue, let me post my complete carhifi setup, as it is at the moment:

- Rockford Fosgate 1501BD amplifier (for the subwoofers)

- Soundstream Tarantula 500/4 (for the 2 component sets)

- 2x CDT Audio ES-620 component sets

- 3x MB Quart PWE 302

- Pioneer DEH-8400MP (going to be replaced by Alpine 9835 headunit in the near future)

- 2x Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Capacitators

- Optima Yellowtop battery

This is the current enclosure for the MB Quarts: enclosure

This is how it looks in my trunk with the MB Quarts PWE 302's installed: trunk picture

(and before you ask where the other amp is, it's located underneath the Tarantula in a hidden compartment).

The problem is when I put in 2x 15" SI D2 subs (dual 2 ohm) the amplifier will be running at 2 ohms, pushing out 1500W RMS (750W RMS to each subwoofer).

When I put in 3x 12" SI D2 subs (dual 2 ohm) the amplifier will be running at 1.3 ohms (yes it's stable at that rating, not officially though) and will put out about 2000W RMS minimal, so it will feed the subs around the 670W RMS to each subwoofer. Like it's currently doing with the MB Quarts.

Correct me if I am wrong. Or should I really go for 2x 15" subwoofers?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michel van der Lingen

The Netherlands

PS.: I just feel the MB Quarts disappoint me, especially when listening to music at high volume which requires a fast, tight deep bass. It's way too messy. Sorry can't explain it exactly, but it just doesn't hit the exact notes.

Edited by MvdL

:ph34r: If it is just at high volumes i would say get an eq and tweak it a lil, bit, or try an new enclosure, or u could buy new subs, all are choices

Guest MvdL

I did fool around a lot with the EQ, but without succes. I just don't think the MB Quart subwoofers are suited for my needs.

But as for my question(s), which hopefully someone can answer clearly:

1. Will 2x 15" SI D2 subwoofers sound better, (as in tighter, more accurate and louder) then 3x MB Quart PWE 302's?

2. Will 3x 12" SI D2 subwoofers sound better, (as in tighter, more accurate and louder) then 3x MB Quart PWE 302's?

Keep in mind my amplifier for the subwoofers is a Rockford Fosgate 1501BD, which delivers 1500W RMS @ 2 Ohms and isn't officially suited for <2 Ohms operating, but it does work however at 1.3 Ohms without problems.

Edited by MvdL

Guest MvdL

Also are they sturdy enough to be shipped overseas? Cause I ordered 3 NEW Audiobahn ALUM12X subwoofers and when I received them (Netherlands) two of them were broken and cracked!! Luckily they were only 90 dollars each, would be worse if they were 300 dollars each. Hehe.

Hey, you dont curse in church, right? So don't utter the name of the unmentionable brand here please :P Gives me the jitters just reading the name, hehe :D

As for shipping, mine arrived safe and sound here in Norway, 4.5 weeks after I ordered it. Best buy I've ever made. And you want 3 12"? Wohah! The one 12" I got just about manages to blur my vision off of 600W 0.03%THD when playing certain songs :slayer:

Edited by Jalla