jesse

New vehicle/install quandry...

Denim will be excited I've posted this ;)

I've got a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab now, and my Explorer is being driven by my Dad. It's a long story as to why that is, if you care to know PM me. Anyway, I had 2 RE8's in a custom ported box in my X, which will in no way fit in the quad cab of the Ram. Aside from that, we have a 3 week old infant who of course requires a car seat, so rear seat functionality must be maintained. The only thing I can think of is to measure out the area beneath the seats and somehow cram the subs under there, facing out, perhaps angled back. I figure with 8's I should be able to pull this off. The only thing is that I do believe RE's function tremendously better w/ the required airspace and a port. I'm just hoping to get some opinions on whether or not this would work or if I should sell the RE's and move to a free air setup.

Jesse!!!!

You are alive!!! and congrats on the baby!! My vote is to figure a new box for under the seats.

I knew you'd be on top of this ;)

I'm just worried that reducing the size of the box on the RE's will be detrimental to the overall sound. They'll still be OK?

I knew you'd be on top of this ;)

I'm just worried that reducing the size of the box on the RE's will be detrimental to the overall sound. They'll still be OK?

At this point, you have more experience with them then I do. But, luck for you, the man who designed those subs has a forum on this website with his new company. Scott now runs Fi Car Audio and would be a great person to talk to abotu box size. I am thinking you might have to resort to sealing them up. Output will go down some, but sound quality should be as good if not a little better.

At this point, you have more experience with them then I do. But, luck for you, the man who designed those subs has a forum on this website with his new company. Scott now runs Fi Car Audio and would be a great person to talk to abotu box size. I am thinking you might have to resort to sealing them up. Output will go down some, but sound quality should be as good if not a little better.

I know they're quite valuable. Would I be better off selling them and moving to a free air for greater install flexibility?

Edited by jesse

I know they're quite valuable. Would I be better off selling them and moving to a free air for greater install flexibility?

I feel going the sealed route is the best bet. They might do it in a .75 cube sealed box, maybe even smaller, but I will leave that up to someone who has more experience with them then I.

I wouldn't want to horn in on his new forum for a different company w/ my gear though, what's his name so I can PM him?

I have quite alot of experience working with these trucks. I have had a 02, 04 and now have a 07 quad cab. How much air space do you need? How much

port? You have a few options you can go with. 1. raise your back seat 2" easy to do and no safety issues, a added beefit to doing this besides more air space

is that you can flip down the back of the seat then (for mounting amps-adjusting amps) you can get about 2.5ft^3 with not much work.you can also make a

center front console/seat? do you need seating for 6? you can go with a custom center console. I have a custom center console right now with a TC 3000

DVC-2 about 3.25ft^3. Let me know if you need help with anything. I have had 2 10L7's under the back seat and I have installed some kicker 12 cvr's in my

cousins quad. If you really like the 8's it is very possible to do what you want.

any questions feel free to ask.

Chad

I wouldn't want to horn in on his new forum for a different company w/ my gear though, what's his name so I can PM him?

People as RE questions in there all the time. Oh you need to fix your ava and sig. ;)

I have quite alot of experience working with these trucks. I have had a 02, 04 and now have a 07 quad cab. How much air space do you need? How much

port? You have a few options you can go with. 1. raise your back seat 2" easy to do and no safety issues, a added beefit to doing this besides more air space

is that you can flip down the back of the seat then (for mounting amps-adjusting amps) you can get about 2.5ft^3 with not much work.you can also make a

center front console/seat? do you need seating for 6? you can go with a custom center console. I have a custom center console right now with a TC 3000

DVC-2 about 3.25ft^3. Let me know if you need help with anything. I have had 2 10L7's under the back seat and I have installed some kicker 12 cvr's in my

cousins quad. If you really like the 8's it is very possible to do what you want.

any questions feel free to ask.

Chad

According to RE's specs, I only need .3 for compact sealed or .35 for optimal sealed and .35@35Hz for compact ported .5@35Hz for optimal ported. I most definitely do not want to eliminate the center console. Do you think there's enough room under those seats to make the box fit? Ideally I'd like to have one sub under each side and then the amp in the middle, mounted nicely and lit. For reference, here's the rest of the spec on the RE8.