Seagate

22-148-234-01.jpg

Western Digital My Book

22-136-023-03.jpg

Maxtor

22-144-065-06.jpg

APRICORN

22-161-104-10.jpg

Seagate all the way. After being in Hitachi, Western Digital, Maxtor, & Seagate the only one I am truly interested in is Seagate.

fyi: eSata is a nice option for the future, I would assume your next pc will have an eSata port...

Did you vote? Hehe, ok one for the seagate. I had to include maxtor because I have used them for work a bunch in the past, and the others are of similar specs with little to no reports of early death.

I voted now. Depending on what Maxtor it is it may be a Seagate drive, but usually it will be of the older technology as they haven't completely integrated from when Seagate bought them in the middle of last year.

Guest zedman

I have Seagate and it seems to be decent so far. I have had it for a year. Best buy had them a day after Thanksgiving for $65 for a 320gb hard drive

There is a 400gig Western Digital in the same range.

I would vote for the Seagate.. except its an open box.

No matter who makes it, I will never get an open box Hard Drive. No matter what.

I've been sending Mark links for cheap externals for a couple of months now (because he has one of mine held hostage - bastard).

I'll start sending them to you too if you want.

I didn't notice it was an open box. Too much cash for that. BB had 500gb ones on sale last week for 130

WD

We have some of the NASTIEST sandy environments here. Weather switches like crazy.

EVERYONE uses the WD My Book's and has had ZERO problems.

And BTW these prices are cheaper than they are here........I gotta get one, sick of ym damn laptop going SO SLOW from all the damn pics, videos and music on it.........hell I even got rid of my prn to make it run faster and still not much improvement.

J

Staples (in-store only) has Western Digital Elements 400GB external USB2.0 hard drive for $85 - $45 easy rebate = $50.

link

rebate

Don't say I never gave you anything.

Staples (in-store only) has Western Digital Elements 400GB external USB2.0 hard drive for $85 - $45 easy rebate = $50.

link

rebate

That is a no brainer.

Thank you john!!!

I am calling around to the local Staples to see if they have any left in stock, currently on hold for over 10mins with the Bel Air store. :(

I have no experience with Calvary that Jeremy posted, does anyone have any words on them. I am always hesitant to try new computer equipment I have never touched.

And a huge :thanx: to all the replys so far!!

Ok, so far none at near by Staples in stock, so its a no go on the awesome priced western digital.

link

rebate

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it says that is only valid if you purchased it between Sept 16 and Sept 22.

I'm looking for a new drive myself. I found out that Seagate offers a 5 year warranty!!

The mybook's are nice, quiet, and reliable from what I've seen. Careful of the Maxtor's, mine doesn't have a switch! I have to unplug the power wire to turn it off. Something to keep in mind when shopping...

I'm going to pick this one up on sale..

750GB - $194.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1172277308443

I'm going to be in the same situation in a couple months for a 750GB drive...it seems as you go up the models the WD's get horrendously loud, and the bigger Seagates have reliability issues :(

Linksys makes a network attached enclosure I've been looking at...space for 2 SATA drives, RAID capable...seems like a better way once you get up in that range.

Linksys makes a network attached enclosure I've been looking at...space for 2 SATA drives, RAID capable...seems like a better way once you get up in that range.

If you want raid and network capabilites.. look in the the Thecus brand that newegg carries.

I'm going to be in the same situation in a couple months for a 750GB drive...it seems as you go up the models the WD's get horrendously loud, and the bigger Seagates have reliability issues :(

do you seriously have that much music??