SilviaVsSupra

iCON first IFINITE BAFFLE !?!!

im gonna try it.. i searched and havent seen anyone else try it yet.. THEORETICALLY the QTS is quite low for an IB application.. but you never know til you try it.. so im gonna throw up a quick baffle, a super quick seal, and throw a very low amount of power to it... like 300- 400 watts... just to get a feel of sound..

i decided to try this because i am stuck on how to build an adequate enclosure for my G35 coupe.. im trying to stuff two 12" iCONs in there.. but i want 3.0 a peice... which is next to impossible without building the enclosure into the trunk. if the IB doesnt work, il have no choice but to put the subs into much smaller enclosures(2.2ish)

il keep you updated..

"Quick" and "IB" just don't seem like things that go together. I have the feeling you could get a bad impression about it because the baffle wasn't really sealed completely.

"Quick" and "IB" just don't seem like things that go together. I have the feeling you could get a bad impression about it because the baffle wasn't really sealed completely.

no i do understand that it wont sound phenomenal at first listen, but if it doesnt sound like complete a-hole... il go the extra effort to completely seal everything.. til now im just shoving sound deadening foam in as a seal... no point in doing an extensive seal if i dont even know if it will work right.. im off to finish this right now, so next post il have up some more pics

ok.. not going well, powered up the amp, just 12vlt and ground, not even remote, and the amp just went cosmic meltdown.. luckily no speaker wires or rca's.... i tried this other ancient amp i had, but it sits in protection.. so now i got a buddy comin over, il just run some long speaker wires from his amp so i can atleast get one thing done, listen to the IB.. il have to go check all my power wires and stuff another time, i dont know what that deal was..

well, i finished it all... didnt sound too shabby at all, even super unsealed it sounded rather low and clean.. il be taking this to the next step and putting both subs, 2 sheets of 3/4 mdf, braced like the eifel tower, and seal it up with everything i can think of.. now where did i put those PTO hours.... lol :rolleyes:

Looking forward to see final results.

Yikes, I'd make finding that electrical fault top priority over putting the subs in.

car not on fire > installing ICON's

Not so sure the test helped, but will say for sure that they will get better when done correctly and not worse. fix that electrical!

Yikes, I'd make finding that electrical fault top priority over putting the subs in.

car not on fire > installing ICON's

thats all a matter of opionion SIR... :popcorn:

seeing as i have all new wires, batteries, rca's, and a H701 to install, the electrical will no doubt be fixed.. and surely before any of the iCONs see any power again.. once the parts come in il be waiting for an optimal time to take a few days off work and school so i can redo everything, also trying to get my front stage hooked up as well... thank god for paid time off! woohoo!

seeing as i have all new wires, batteries, rca's, and a H701 to install, the electrical will no doubt be fixed.. and surely before any of the iCONs see any power again.. once the parts come in il be waiting for an optimal time to take a few days off work and school so i can redo everything, also trying to get my front stage hooked up as well... thank god for paid time off! woohoo!

This will be pretty awesome I think.... also.. you stole my cars. I want them back. You can haul them back to minneapolis for me, I'll let you finish the install first though.

Really man awesome vehicles, GL on the instial!

without the car, there would be no use for the ICONS.... :(

Home audio > car :)

without the car, there would be no use for the ICONS.... :(

Home audio > car :)

I disagree, strongly.

No use for 1/4" in anything audio related other than visual trim panels. Personally I'd use at least 1" or double 3/4"

that thick just for sealing the speaker holes? hmm, il end up making a shelf out of 1" so it will be all one peice.. that would make fitment easier and should seal stronger..

the process im planning is to fiberglass a ring along the border that ill have the wood follow, and then il mold them together and use soud deadner to make it tight..

i need to find out if my fender wells carry through from the trunk to the back seat, what a pain.. i should be buying second skin by the bulk by now

Can't wait to see how this turns out. I cringed when I saw the one IB hole...more drivers is better when IB but you are doing two right? Should get the bottom but not knowing how well those subs will work.

yes i am using two 12" iCONs.. if i was planning to try a IB i would have chosen 15"s but its too late now.. il be pretty stuck if this IB doesnt work, not many other ways of getting ample airspace in my trunk..

I have 4 12" Infinity ref in my car on a kicker 5ch, its 420wrms at 2ohm on them. I built a baffle that leans back to near the rear of back deck and seals off the speaker holes, that way I don't lose much trunk space. The subs are 300wrms, the manual says about half for IB and it seems close as I can't get them to xmax yet, not really close even. I'm not sure as the high side gets toasted when I dial the subs up hard, but think it is about maxed as far as clean power. I can feel it, back of car shakes. They seem to work ok and have great bottom end, was not sure as I have not used this large of a xmax sub on IB before. With a more efficient sub or woofer you can get pretty good volume with lower wattage for the more SQ sound I like and that is mostly what I used in the past.

My problem now is that I can't get near enough midbass out of two sets of 5x7s to keep up, and now one rear speaker has quit for some reason so I turned them off....I had to turn the sub gain down to about 1/4 to get it listenable with just the front boston comps. Even set at 40Hz the subs will drown the highs easily, have to get to work on it soon can't even listen to music with the thunder. If I had time I would actually buy cheaper lighter subs because I think these could take more power no problem, and that surprised me. My baffle with 4 subs and amp is really heavy. But I'm going to fix up the high side first. If I did it again and didn't find the deal on the 12s I would try two 15s, the right set of two 12s might be enough but I really can't block off two of mine (to try it) without taking the baffle out and that is pita to do. Also then I would be at 4ohms not 2 with my DVCs. So I'm kind of screwed until my high side plays better. Thinking of putting 8s in the doors and running the 12s around 40Hz will end up working best. They also play into the back seat but there is an opening at the top and no back on the seat.

SliviavsSupra did you ever finish this IB install? I actually have an 07 G35 coupe sitting here that I will be doing an IB install in. I will either be using 3 10's or 2 12's, forward firing with an Alpine PDX-1.1000, 2 sets of ID Chameleon 6.5 comps up front with an alpine PDX-4.150. The reason I choose IB for this install is, he wanted to retain at least 75% of his trunk and he wanted me to implement a matching 19" aftermarket wheel into the trunk install.

Basically just wondering if you finished up the IB install and how in sounded in the vehicle.

Thanks

Shawn Fleming

hey guys, sorry its been a while.

i have yet to finish the IB install, or even seriously begin it, since i last posted ive had school finals as well as the holiday season. BUT i quit my job as an installer because of management issues and i forsee the time and opprotunity to finsih my audio setup. unfortunately my subs are not first on the list, front stage will be the first section tackled. i have all of my equipment, now its just a matter of putting forth the time and effort of molding 3"s in the pillars and fitting 8"s in the doors. but as soon as i get started you guys will definately be updated!