Sign in to follow this  
kingsham

My final decision

Ive got myself a 1977 Buick Regal...thas one of those metal cars...no plastic...and no type of dampening so yes sound dampening is on my to get list.

Im not an all out SPL guy, but not any all out SQ guy... Im more of a "LSQ" guys that many people are...but wont admit it. Due to an awkward trunk...I AM A go with either 1 15 or 2 10s. I want it to sound clean and hit the lows.

Boxes im thinking bout ..... two 10s...3 cu ft. tuned to 32hz, 1 15 3-4 cu ft. tuned to 32 hz

I dont wanna spend more than 230 for a single woofer or 400 for a pair

WOofers

Fi SSD 15

AA Aresnal 15

Re SE 10, 15(they are pretty cheap on ebay)

Alpine Type-R 10, 15( hear they arent very good on the sq, i heard a pair of 12s...sounded ok to me though)

Soundsplinter Ignition Series 10

any others

whats the best...bang for buck, in sq, spl, and lows...

I think you have your definition of LSQ wrong...

well...what i mean to say...is i want the "ability" to get pretty loud(130-140 dbs) jus for demonstrations purposes(ie showing off to my friends) but not sound like poo when i listen to it at reasonable levels. I wanna hear the words...clearly.

well...what i mean to say...is i want the "ability" to get pretty loud(130-140 dbs) jus for demonstrations purposes(ie showing off to my friends) but not sound like poo when i listen to it at reasonable levels. I wanna hear the words...clearly.

A proper SQ system can do that, easily.

The subs are the least important part of that, though.

well...the only problem with me doing a pure sq system is the price...the car is my first car, and this system will be my first system, so funds will be a major issue.

Not sure what you mean by that. For an SQ system you can use very budget friendly drivers, and even budget friendly installation techniques, but you can't skimp on the time you take when doing the install. It is all install man. Your budget is already way larger than necessary as long as you spend it more wisely than you currently are. Figure out everything except the sub first and go backwards.

I understand what u are saying...

Ive got a headunit in mind(pioneer premier). And right now...im planning on running a set of good 6x9s becuase ive got the slots for them in the rear deck, or some 6.5 components in the rear. Only reason is beacuse the front passenger door(its a coupe) has a terrible leakage. I might be able to make some kick pannels but, the area for most kicks is VERY small. For a good budget setup what are some good amps...for my frontstage.

Rear speakers are not a front stage...you are making this even more confusing. Perhaps taking a step back and giving us all the background would be extremely helpful.

I know what rear speakers are...its a rear fill. But as far as a front stage...that would be hard to do without major modification.

Then what are you asking with this:

"For a good budget setup what are some good amps...for my frontstage."

My APX 12 plays music just fine.

Just turn your subwoofer down and you wont have a problem.

Nevermind that last question...im going to give some numbers i would like to stay under.

Headunit($200 and under)

Component Set($250 and under)

Amps(mono and 2 channel)($300 and under)

Sub/subs($250 for single sub setup, $300 for dual sub setup)

Sound dampening and materials for enclosure building(???)

Installation(i might do it myself)(Free)

I wanna end up somewhere around,but would prefer to be under $1000, as this is my first setup in my first car. I am willing to go up to about $1200. I wanna do this right. So let me restate my goals. I want a good sq system. I do understand the basic concept of the sq setup. If you guys could be so helpful to reccomend some pieces in each category that would fit the suggested budget.

THanks!

Just my observations...

Lower the sub budget. $100 taken out of that will put $100 more into the front stage and head unit, where it's needed more anyway. Picking a head unit that's capable of active processing will allow you to mix and match drivers, getting a lot more value for your dollar than a pre-built component set would. A used 4-channel amp can be found on Ebay or a forum for not a lot, something like a PG M44 comes to mind...

Expect to spend a little over $100 on sound deadening, and cables and wiring aren't free either.

Just my observations...

Lower the sub budget. $100 taken out of that will put $100 more into the front stage and head unit, where it's needed more anyway. Picking a head unit that's capable of active processing will allow you to mix and match drivers, getting a lot more value for your dollar than a pre-built component set would. A used 4-channel amp can be found on Ebay or a forum for not a lot, something like a PG M44 comes to mind...

Expect to spend a little over $100 on sound deadening, and cables and wiring aren't free either.

i would run 2 speakers on the first 2 channels and the 2 tweeters on the 2nd 2 channels correct?

what HUs have active processing?

i would run 2 speakers on the first 2 channels and the 2 tweeters on the 2nd 2 channels correct?

Yes.

I haven't kept up to date on all the newer models out there...a search around here would get you a lot of info about what people are having good luck with. If you're on a budget, I bet you could find something like an Alpine 9835 that may be a couple years old, but be well under what a new unit might cost you.

The amount of value you get out of DIY'ing your front stage vs. buying a pre-built set is just silly, expecially for that kind of budget. There's a lot of compromises that go into a $200 set vs. a $1000 Dynaudio passive set, it's just building to a price point.

Well...Im here to update u guys with some new information.

I now have a job...which means my budget has increased. Im no longer even considering an SQ setup. Im not going spl...but i wanna be able to get loud(louder than all the guys at skool). My sub/sub amp budget will be about 600. Im looking 2 go, 2 12s sealed, 2 10s ported, or 1 15 ported. IM looking for output, but dialy listnenablity. Good daily pounding. Nothing that sounds like crap.

Ive gave my updated budget...now what fits...(Fi, Alpine, Kicker, AA, Sundown, Soundsplinter, ect)

Fi BL

SS Ignition and Premium Series

AA Arsenal

Fi SSD

Fi Q

Kicker CVX

Oz Audio Oz V12.3-4

SI BM

and others...but what route would you guys go to get the most for the money with the Budget listed above.

THanks

Edited by kingsham

i dont get what u mean by ur not even considering a sq setup... sq setup HAVE the ability to play "loud"and drop down low... the whole i want to be louder then all the other kids at school is a silly mentality to have... that is just asking for ur system to get jacked... i run a single 10 in my car... and ppl who ride in my car are so surprised that its only 1 10 they swear it has to be 2 12's or something... its mostly the install... id rather have clear sounding system that stays clear when the volume is up vs a loud fart can... there such a misconception about sq systems... if i were u id deff do more research and really know what u want then start thinking about spending money...

i'd still concentrate on the front stage if you want a truly phenomenal sounding vehicle....but based on what you are asking, they are all pretty good subs so it's all up to you

Well...im not really tyring to sound like a smart alec...but what do you suggest i do then...

Well...im not worried about sounding pheonominal...

1 12inch Fi BL will fit the bill...ported tuned to 32hzbout 3 cu ft box

some good 6x9s and some comonents in the front...will do me good

it will sound good enough for me...

well if you don't car about sounding good, then forget running active then and get a cheap passive set, turn the bass way down and the treble way up and crank your gains!

i love it when people do that LOL!!