Sign in to follow this  
RemixPinoY

FI Q 10 Or 12

Hello all, anyway after months of being disappointed with my expectations of my audio shops work. I am having my box redone, and unfortunately I have to spend more money to fix there damn mistakes. Oh well, anyway I am wondering if there really is a big difference between two 10 fi q's or two 12 fi q's. I currently have a fiberglass enclosure for the tops and I can have them modified to fit 12's but that would cost more money. If two 10's can closely copy the 12's in everything I'd rather stick with the 10's.

Picture6762.jpg

My current set up in my Supra features two Kicker CVR 10's and a Gravity 2 channel amp that says it pushes out 1400 watts more likely than not probably about a thousand rms. It's in a 3.2 cubic foot box which I believe is way too big for these cvr's, there just 10's. I am unhappy with how it sounds, some songs sound good, others sound weak. And the kickers there good speakers, but I have them maxed out and am not happy with the bass amount I am receiving it's just uninspiring, and I don't want to go ported especially since my car is a hatchback and is too small to sufficiently house one well.

So Basically what I'm asking is this, are two 10's sufficient in terms of power and sound and etc in a sealed enclosure versus the 12's? Is there a noticeable difference between the two? I know the 12's will be able to edge out somewhat in lower notes but are 10's good enough? Or is the price increase to mod my box worth going with the 12's? I could also fit a single 15, but I've heard many people saying don't go larger than 15's since 15's aren't very "musical" I'm sure many will disagree. Also I'm thinking about going with one subwoofer for now and buying another down the road so I can invest in the amp or amps. Would 1 10 or 12 inch Q really rock my car with 900-1000watts? Would it be better than my cvrs in every way except price lol?

Also what do you all recommend for a sealed set up if I did go with 12's, I know FI recommends about 1.2 cubic feet, I want this set up to sound very clean and powerful. My installers made my current box 3.2 cubic feet, way too big for what I have. But they believe in making boxes larger than recommended in order to give the subwoofers more air to make more boom. I don't know about that because I think it just goes against the subwoofers efficient range of air space needed. Am I right or am I wrong? Or would I be better off going slightly larger in box space for these subwoofers to attain more "bass". I listen to everything, from hip hop, rock, jazz, and etc. So it must be powerful yet clean thats why I prefer sealed over ported. So will Fi Q's fit the bill, or should i look into the bl series, or will the SSD's satisfy me enough?

Also I am a noob with wiring and ohm's and don't know exactly which one I need.

And does FI carry a phone number I could possibly contact them with in regards to ordering a subwoofer or two?

Also I need an amp(s) for all this. I'd prefer to just get a single amp for space reasons but seeing how hard it is to find a decent amp to do more than 2000watts rms that is affordable I think I may be better of going with dual amps. I've been looking and are kicker .750's good enough? They average 900 watts rms from what I've looked at and they seem good enough to power the subs. So if anyone can, please recommend me amps that have good sound quality and are reliable for a daily.

Thanks all!

Edmund

I dont have a Q, but I do have a BL 10", it fills my whole car with low bass off 1200 to 1500 watts rms, it sounds like or better than some 12" subs I have had in the past.

I would do a single ported sub vs 2 sealed, unles the 2 sealed were 15's, even then, I dont like the sound of sealed so I probably would still do a single ported sub,.

I dont have a Q, but I do have a BL 10", it fills my whole car with low bass off 1200 to 1500 watts rms, it sounds like or better than some 12" subs I have had in the past.

I would do a single ported sub vs 2 sealed, unles the 2 sealed were 15's, even then, I dont like the sound of sealed so I probably would still do a single ported sub,.

So 10's would be pretty close to 12's? Or is it worth the cost increase to go with 12's. And yeah I know ported would be far more efficient, but I just don't have the hatch space to do that, I could do 4+ cubic feet if I wanted to, but I'm currently down sizing my 3.2 cubic box to 2.4 feet give or take so I can have it flushed. So ported I could do, but I paid so much already for my fiberglass work that I rather keep it, it's just the mdf being restructured. Besides my car is small inside, ported would be overkill on my mids and highs lol. I want this to be lsq. But thanks, I'm glad to know 10's are better than many other 12's I may just keep my 10 size then. Damn I wish I had 12 inch opening on my fiberglass, the speakers themselves are only 10 bucks more.

Is that box sealed? if so, 3.2 cu ft sealed is a LOT for 2 10s. You shouldn't have any issues fitting 2 10s are 2 12s sealed. Just fill the inside up with blocks styrofoam to bring the internal volume within specs.

You might be able to turn the box into a ported enclosure for 2 10s.

If you have 1400 watts, 2 SSDs would be a better fit. I'm sure Qs would do well also.

Is that box sealed? if so, 3.2 cu ft sealed is a LOT for 2 10s. You shouldn't have any issues fitting 2 10s are 2 12s sealed. Just fill the inside up with blocks styrofoam to bring the internal volume within specs.

You might be able to turn the box into a ported enclosure for 2 10s.

If you have 1400 watts, 2 SSDs would be a better fit. I'm sure Qs would do well also.

Well with 3.2 cubic feet I'm sure I could go ported, the guys who made it are spl junkies so I notice this box was better off if ported. But I want to go into the sealed world of things for this car lol. I dunno I just like how it sounds but I do miss how the ported would hit. Anyway I'm downsizing about a cubic foot but we'll see, I may still keep my 3.2 box. And I am also replacing my amp, thinking of getting kicker .750's would that be okay? There like 900-950 watts rms, would that do nicely with a Q or should I aim with the .1000 watt model? And with the 1400 I am returning it, but I'm sure the ssd's would of done nicely with it, not too under powering at all. But I want a setup that gets great sq and gets loud loud.

Still unsure if I should stick with my 2 10 inch fiberglass enclosure or spend a bit of money to make them fit 12's. So anyone have a say are 12's really really worth it over 10's or there's hardly a difference comparing these series of subs?

2 12s will give you a lot more bass. If you can, I'd go for it. Why not just keep the 1400 watt amp and get 2 Q12s?

I'm still confused with amps and wiring, I thought I'd need 2000 watts to power these subs? 1000 watts a piece per sub right? Wouldn't 1400 be underpowering them at 700 watts a piece at best?

Anyone? I'm still looking for amps, I don't know if Kicker will cut it. If I got the .1000 watt one it can do about 1100-1200 watts rms will that be good enough? And is it bad for me to set the gain on the amp at 100 percent? I know amps can clip and what not especially if the gain is set too high for the head unit and everything else, but if the subwoofers eat 1000 watts rms would it be okay for the kicker amp to be set at 90 percent? Or should I look for an amp that can provide more power and set the gain at 75 percent and what not so the amp doesn't overwork itself.

2 12s will give you a lot more bass. If you can, I'd go for it. Why not just keep the 1400 watt amp and get 2 Q12s?

I'm still confused with amps and wiring, I thought I'd need 2000 watts to power these subs? 1000 watts a piece per sub right? Wouldn't 1400 be underpowering them at 700 watts a piece at best?

You don't need a kW to power a Q.

When I auditioned one, 700W was perfect...

Or should I look for an amp that can provide more power and set the gain at 75 percent and what not so the amp doesn't overwork itself.

The amp works the same whether or not the gain setting is set at full, or barely turned.

You don't need a kW to power a Q.

When I auditioned one, 700W was perfect...

Or should I look for an amp that can provide more power and set the gain at 75 percent and what not so the amp doesn't overwork itself.
The amp works the same whether or not the gain setting is set at full, or barely turned.

Okay cool with the amp gain so I guess it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't distort and etc. Now about the Q power requirements, you say 700 watts was perfect? I hope your right because isn't that a bit underpowering for it's rms of 1000? Will 700 watts give the sub it's full sound potential? One of the SSD reviews said that at 500 watts it was powerful but some of it's sound ranges were weak, and once powered at rms it woke up and played all ranges perfectly. So will the Q be able to play very well at all ranges at 700 watts give or take rms? I'm still looking for an affordable amp, I rather go with one amp than two and am having a hard time finding an amp powerful enough under 500 dollars that can do this that isn't cheap.

You'll be fine with 700 watts on a Q.

Sundown Audio's SAZ-1500d retails for $600. You might be able to get it for a little less. The money spent will be well worth it. If you decide to add more power in the future, just strap another 1500d to it.

I hope your right because isn't that a bit underpowering for it's rms of 1000?

No.

Haha you guys, okay so 700 watts is more than enough than? I could go along with one amp for awhile and add another later I guess down the road... So the sundown are really rated around 1500 watts rms? So why would I get this over lets say kicker .750's? Kickers are only 250 dollars and push 900+ watts rms, And I could technically get two for the price of one sundown and push these subs near there rms, but I'm guessing the sundown would sound better as kicker amps aren't exactly the best amps out there for sound quality? Hmmm I'll look into it thanks! I'm concerned because for my new box build I have to have space pre measured for all of this, and if I get just one amp than I'll have more room for other things and etc.

I just read it thanks! Hmm wow so they really are good amps but wow 600 dollars. Is there anywhere else I could get this for less? And will my stock alt handle all this? My car has I think a 90-100A alternator, an interstate battery, and stock wiring for everything regarding factory electronics besides stereo. I also have a 2.5 farad cap from rockfordfosgate.

I just read it thanks! Hmm wow so they really are good amps but wow 600 dollars. Is there anywhere else I could get this for less? And will my stock alt handle all this? My car has I think a 90-100A alternator, an interstate battery, and stock wiring for everything regarding factory electronics besides stereo. I also have a 2.5 farad cap from rockfordfosgate.

PM denim or ssaudio to get a price for the Sundown

PM denim or ssaudio to get a price for the Sundown

I appreciate it, I did just pm'ed him, again thanks man, really thanks! So I'm sure this amp will exceed my expectations, should be better than gravity 2 channel amp thats probably underpowered and cheap. And if anything if I'm not happy with it I'm sure I can always buy another one down the line.

Alright starting work on my new box, I'll be ordering 12's soon! So guys with the sundown amp I'll need to get D1 versions to run them at 1ohm right?

If you do a pair D1's will allow you to wire to 1ohm total in a parallel-series configuration.

You are going to love the Sundown/FiQ combo!!

If you do a pair D1's will allow you to wire to 1ohm total in a parallel-series configuration.

You are going to love the Sundown/FiQ combo!!

Alright D1's it is! Thanks a bunch man I'm sure I will! Time to talk to Scott and SSA for the amp.

to the original poster

if it was me i'd do one fi Q ported w/bp power option on that amp.

hey, aren't I the guy that pointed you in the direction of Fi on the sounddomain forum? i remember your setup.

just for your information, i have a 15" Q with bp on 1230 tested power, probably getting 950. 4.8 cuft after port, and I walked all over two 15" ported solobaric L5's on a 2500 watt audiobahn flam series (their so called high-end competition series). anyway it was fun good guy from work. but that would give you an idea of how loud these subs can be. if you were to listen to your car then mine, you'd probably laugh at your own setup. and my 15 sounds awesome, full sound, hits every note, and can still play tight bass perfect. i even think one 10" Q in a ported box would knock your socks off and save a lot of space, plus less weight on the supra :)

sorry wrote all that before reading page 2, that system will absolutely amazing sounding, just make sure the box is built to Fi specs, not w/e goofiness that shop thinks they know. and of course being Fi, they should drop like a mofo!

to the original poster

if it was me i'd do one fi Q ported w/bp power option on that amp.

hey, aren't I the guy that pointed you in the direction of Fi on the sounddomain forum? i remember your setup.

just for your information, i have a 15" Q with bp on 1230 tested power, probably getting 950. 4.8 cuft after port, and I walked all over two 15" ported solobaric L5's on a 2500 watt audiobahn flam series (their so called high-end competition series). anyway it was fun good guy from work. but that would give you an idea of how loud these subs can be. if you were to listen to your car then mine, you'd probably laugh at your own setup. and my 15 sounds awesome, full sound, hits every note, and can still play tight bass perfect. i even think one 10" Q in a ported box would knock your socks off and save a lot of space, plus less weight on the supra :)

sorry wrote all that before reading page 2, that system will absolutely amazing sounding, just make sure the box is built to Fi specs, not w/e goofiness that shop thinks they know. and of course being Fi, they should drop like a mofo!

Mjmpistol? Haha if thats you cool man, that forum is slow though on responses haha. Man I've been thinking of going with a 15, but if I did I wouldn't be able to use my fiberglass I spent so much on so 12's are the only way to go or I stay with 10's on that box. And if I stayed with the two 12's I could port them, but air space again, I want more trunk space and my tiny hatch back car would get flooded too much with bass lol. I like ported, but for this car I want to stick with sealed, I like the sound quality I get. My mini van is the car for the bass banging port haha.

So final thinking for the box, each fi Q 12 should be in a 1.3 cubic foot enclosure sealed in it's own side separate from one another right? 1.3 and with the subwoofer in there it will be about 1.2 cubic feet? I hope 1.2 cubic feet is the best as I've read, or if anyone else has any recommendations to go bigger or smaller please tell.

Also going larger on a box per sub would flatten out the response of the sound right? Making it do less bass but less spike specific frequencies right? Thats what my shop did to make the SQ set up? I think it was overkill as it sounds weak lol.

yes you are correct, Fi specs for that sub are .8 -1.5 cuft sealed, so 1.3 sounds just about perfect

Sign in to follow this