Sign in to follow this  
tyroneshoes

Some questions on the Icon 12

Hello. I have been looking at the Icon and it seems very impressive.

I usually use SQ based sub woofers (alumapro, dayton, zapco, idq) and I have been looking for something with a little more powerful low end while retaining tonality and be under 7" inches deep. The icon looks like the best bang for buck. My favorite sub was an audiomobile mass 12 and Im trying to get a sub that had nice low end like that one to to me but I would like to try a new sub as well so I dont want a tc-9.

The box is between 1 -1.2 cuft sealed and will be filled.

I purchased a rockford t5001bd for this upgrade and it produces 725 watts at 2 ohms and 1014 at 1 ohm. I would prefer to keep 2 ohm load for current drain reasons and Im wondering if this will be enough power for the icon. If not, I could go 1 ohm but would rather not.

Can you give me a description of the sub in comparison to the MASS? As far and blending on upper notes and the ability to maintain tone though out the spectrum it will be playing <80 hz.

I have read many reviews on ported applications but fore for a sq based system in a sealed box that can get loud on occasions which I havent seen much of as of yet.

Hi Tyroneshoes, welcome to SSA. A ICON 12D1 sounds like the better option for you if you want to stay with a 2 ohm load. The claimed 725 watts is plenty for the ICON, many people are sending well into 1200 watts to them but it is not needed honestly.

As for the MASS 12, I have not played with or owned one to give a fair comparison. But I can tell you this, the ICON excels at the lowest octaves, where it might give up some ground to its competitors on peak out put higher up, it passes them on the deepest of notes. The sound has been described as smooth and laid back, and a few reviews had mentioned that it blends well with the front stage. If you can go with the larger end of the spectrum on box size you will be good to go. My personal favorite for the 12 sealed is 1.1 with some stuffing. Hope that helps.

Another driver to consider with that depth consideration would be a Rainbow Vanadium, decently shallow motor design and extremely good low end extension sealed.

I wish I had heard a MASS as well so I could comment. Considering your tastes I think you will enjoy the Icon.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I can lower the crossover and focus on tuning my front stage as I have some pretty powerful midbass speakers (Zapco/ESB ck set). The reason Im moving away from sq based speakers are because I want that low end that "sq" based speakers cant have due to their thin cone and weaker motor in order to maintain an even tonal spectrum. Just looking at the Rainbow vanadiam's specs I know I can expect fast transients but the low end will be limited much like the alumapro which is considered a similar sub. Plus, not to blast rainbow as I really like their kickbass speakers and tweets, but I cant see spending that much on a sub.

I will try the icon and Ill post some pics of the install and an initial review followed by a few weeks follow up. I have lots of subs to compare it to.

Anyone have any used d1 12" that they are willing to part with? The cone and surround must be mint but I dont care about basket or magnet scratches.

The bad news is the people that own them are keeping them which means you won't be able to find a used one so easily. When they pop up they don't last long.

The bad news is the people that own them are keeping them which means you won't be able to find a used one so easily. When they pop up they don't last long.

I figured that. Just assumed SSA might have some they used for testing laying around. Ill order on monday if not. Senseless to order stuff on a friday.

look into Ascendant Arsenals too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did but there's no depth measurement and the ts specs are less impressive than the icons. Also, whats up with no cone picture? Makes me expect an adire shiva looking driver.

look into Ascendant Arsenals too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did but there's no depth measurement and the ts specs are less impressive than the icons. Also, whats up with no cone picture? Makes me expect an adire shiva looking driver.

The cone looks the same as the Assassin. :)