bobobob

Which amp for RL-i 8 D4?

Hi everybody,

I used to have a 10" Alpine type-R powered with a 300w RMS amp from Hifonics, these got stolen so i need a new bassmaker :)

After emailing with mike from soundsplinter, i've decided to purchase a RL-i 8 D4 as soon as they are back in stock.

So for now i'm looking for a good/affordable amp to use this woofer to its right.

The Rl-i8 will be getting a sealed box, to get a nice SQ setup.

I really would like to hear some suggestions for a good amp and how to set this up right!

Thanks!

FYI

the RL-i8 will be working together with the following components:

Front: Polk DB6750

Rear: Polk MMC690

Powered by a Polk C400.4

These speakers get about 100w RMS from this amp. (birth sheet said 96w)

Find yourself a 400w monoblock and you will be more than fine.

hmm ok, that's what i was thinking..

just another NOOB question. Since it is dual coil, can i use a 2 channl amp? and should i be looking for 2x200 or 2x400.

I'm guessing 2x200 but just want to make sure!

Thanks

you can, but it's not necesssary, and impedance matching will be off.

i'd suggest looking for a good two ohm stable 400-500 wrms monoblock as ///m5 suggested. check with sundown see what he has to offer. also, look into the ssa store. i believe we have several options to chose from. some ideas...

kicker kx 400.1

memphis mc500d

jl500.1 (though a bit pricey compared to the other two)

and those are jsut off the top of my head. and my brain isn't in 100% motion yet.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Ok thanks,

I'm really looking into some brands that have good reputation in the states. I'm from europe and prices for audio equipment here are way to high.

Thanks for the ideas and i'll look into the SSA shop

For the shop we can get the Kicker that was mentioned above. A matching Polk amp would be very nice. Do you have possible plans for adding a second sub?

I drive a 96 civic hatchback, with not much room to play with in the back, so i'm staying with one sub.

I've been thinking about another Polk amp (c500.1) but because i thought i needed 500 rms on 4 ohm that wouldnt be the right one.

Now i see that mrayy13 says i can use an amp with 500 rms on 2 ohms, this one can be used.

Denim, i havent seen the Polk amps on the website of the shop. Do you sell these? If so can you give me a price for both the C400.4 and the C500.1?

Thanks

Edited by bobobob

We don't carry them, but I will look into it.

Guest zedman

WHY Not a Zed audio Minilith??? Low priced Great sound Quality and meets the power suggestions as well as its sold in the SSA store. ZZZZ

those zeds dont look bad either...

But the 2 polk amps next to each other would look really nice

Denim, thanks for looking into it! i've send you a pm

I've got 2 rl-i8's w/500 each to them and they love it....I mean, if you are careful with it, 400+ does those puppies nice.

mattb you got pics of your setup it sounds like a cool setup...also how many cubes you got the 2 rl-i8's in?

Aloha

If you are considering the Minilith, (very nice amp, I want one bad) there are very few left and they will not be made again.

mattb you got pics of your setup it sounds like a cool setup...also how many cubes you got the 2 rl-i8's in?

Aloha

I put up some old pics in my gallery section. I built the box about a year ago now. Some members might remember it. I'll have to see if I can find the exact specs, but, I seem to recall the port was 24"

If you are considering the Minilith, (very nice amp, I want one bad) there are very few left and they will not be made again.

Well the first choice goes out to the polk amps.

The Minilith is a good second though, for now. I am really just exploring the world of amps outside the european market.

If i were you I'd just on that Zed amp ASAP. great price, great power, great quality, great relability, and great cosmetics :D...

There is only one minilith left, period.

no havent found one yet... going to take a look at these amps this weekend http://www.earthquakesound.com/tnt.htm

anyone familiar with these?

Also the Polk amp that i said in the first post didn't go through :(

So i'm considering to get two of the earthquake amps since they have a fair price, but i dont know anything else about them.

Maybe someone here can help out?

I feel there are better choices then earthquake. They made a name about 10 years back for making big power, but the THD was very high and they would go up in smoke as often as modern Hi Fonics. So from my experience, they were great for SPL'ers on a budget.

hmm ok thanks... the shop i saw them said about the same thing in their description "for the beginning SQ enthusiast"

Gotta keep looking around then, i have the time as long as the RPL-8's arent in stock :)

the sundown amps look great, but the are highpriced...

i think i'm looking for a price of about $ 250 without the shipping to the netherlands...

the sundown amps look great, but the are highpriced...

i think i'm looking for a price of about $ 250 without the shipping to the netherlands...

PM denim for a quote on Sundown amps, they can do lower than MSRP. The SAX-100.2 is a nice fit for the RL-i8 D4, and certainly within your budget.