rl-i 10" ported or sealed

Factory recommendations:

Acceptable:

0.4 - 0.95 cu ft net volume sealed

0.3 - 1.2 cu ft net volume vented, Fb = 22 - 36 Hz

Optimal Car:

0.65 cu ft net volume sealed

0.45 cu ft net volume vented, Fb = 27 Hz

I notice that the optimal vented box is smaller than the optimal sealed. I was thinking going sealed b/c of space issues but if going ported will really be smaller should I do this. Im also thinking aero ports and need some information on how to calculate what size I would need to tune to 27 hz. Does anyone own an rl-i if so what kind of box is it in?

Smaller until you add the port volume. You are going to need a hell of a long port that will require a funky configuration to do it. The sub will perform well in either type though. An Rlp 12" ported fits in a smaller box than the 10 once you add the port...

Smaller until you add the port volume. You are going to need a hell of a long port that will require a funky configuration to do it. The sub will perform well in either type though. An Rlp 12" ported fits in a smaller box than the 10 once you add the port...

yea thats why I was thinking about using an aero port but I have no experience with these

While you can go with a smaller diameter, it really won't solve the problem I described. For instance, my Rli8 in .64cuft (which would have a shorter port for the same tuning frequency than in a .45cuft box) is nearly 3.5cuft on the outside of the box to house the port. Porting a small enclosure is not a beginner maneuver in the world of audio.

Im def. not a noob to car audio but dont have the space to fit that box :( Looks like Im going sealed. Any recommendations on how big. Ill probably build two one to the manufactures optimal spec and one a lil bigger to try and get some more low end out of the sub

I think I replied in your other thread. Anyway, I say build one to optimal, then add stuffing as needed.