Smondo17

Focal 165 k2p vs. RE XXX 6.5 vs. Morel Dotech Ovation

I have come down to these 3 sets of comps. Does anyone have any opinions and experiences with any of these components?

I havent heard the focal or RE but the Morel Elates and Supremo's I heard were very nice. Not harsh at all and fairly warm. The piccolo tweeter on the Supremo mids was again, very nice and LOUD.

If i had enough coin they would be in my collection.

P.S

I seriously would reconsider the XXX, doesnt seem like it fits in this sort of category.

If you're serious, there's no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Going to have a hell of a time finding a little 6.5 to "keep up" midbass wise with a pair of those. Actually unless you do what Jim recommends you flat out won't.

the only review ive herd on them the guy said the XXXs have quite a bit of midbass but interms of overall sq they werent all that

Midbass isn't the top of my list i am looking more into midrange and highs. when i said i want them to keep up i meant i don't want them to be drowned out and still be audible.

heard the focals... the mid was freakin sweet but the tweeter wasnt all that. its very very harsh. I heard the morel doutech but not in an sq environment, but they kept up with a pair of RE 15's. Never heard the xxx in car but i found the tweeter to be a tad TOO soft, but the mid was sweet

Focals are definitely an acquired taste, if at all.

The distaste for them however is easily acquired.

Anyone else heard the Morels before? Midrange , Midbass, Highs impressions? Also how do the Hybrid Ovations compare to the Dotech Ovations? I know the dotech are the cheaper version but are the sound differences very noticeable?

Edited by Smondo17

You should really use your ears to decide and not ours.

I don't see what the harm in asking if anyone else has heard them before. Obviously i have not had the time or even found the location to listen to them. I'm a college student without a car, so i am trying to narrow this down the best i can at this time.

between all of those, i would pick either the xxx or morel. although i love the focal mid, the tweet kills it for me.

I don't see what the harm in asking if anyone else has heard them before. Obviously i have not had the time or even found the location to listen to them. I'm a college student without a car, so i am trying to narrow this down the best i can at this time.

No harm, but if you went and heard those three speakers you wouldn't be comparing them. They really aren't similar at all.

Man I have some XXX 6.5 comps, those things barely move at high volume, and they are beast. Only giving them 75watts of power 300x4 on a ppi 2050 am amp (ol' school). U get these u will b kickn ass and taking names like me.

you should look at rainbow kickbass comps. just give them a lot of power and i think they are what you are looking for

whenever I had my focals the tweeters were extremely harsh. Very very bright and in your face. The 6.5's had very nice midbass though, you could hear the plucking of the bass notes(I was listening to an aerosmith cd). For the price I paid(175) it wasn't bad at all but I'm sure the Morels sound a lot nicer.

m5 - do you have any recommendations on similar speakers that i listed?

Not until you listen to some and tell us what you don't like about them. Your ears are important for you, not mine.

Maybe if you give the guys trying to help you a list of what you have heard and like, they could help you a little more. Not flaming, just a suggestion.

CDT

Thats worse than focal.

P.S

People are stupid and don't know what they want.

By saying " go listen to them" you are not helping at all.

Especially when the buyer has no possible way of listening to the items listed.

worst

salesmen

ever...

CDT

Thats worse than focal.

P.S

People are stupid and don't know what they want.

By saying " go listen to them" you are not helping at all.

Especially when the buyer has no possible way of listening to the items listed.

worst

salesmen

ever...

Except that I am not selling dumb ass. If I were the worst salesmen ever do you think that I could live the way I do considering I am in sales?? Answering their question subjectively is not helping at all. Everyone has a different opinion and putting all opinions out on the internet isn't going to do shit for the OP. If you think that is the case, I feel sorry for you as you do not know any real sales people. A real sales person listens to the needs of the person and then can relay a solution. in the case of speakers with no baseline reaction to anything it is impossible to draw that conclusion.