duece212

Ported box suggestions for two rlp18's

Ok, after tearin apart my truck I found alot of space and it'd be a pity not to use it, so thinking ported on the rlp18's now instead of sealed. Wanted to see what people suggest. Mike says 5 at 27hz on the website, and has said 4 to 7 cubes in the stickied thread. While i see people talk about going in the 7 to 8ft range I'm thinking smaller might be where its at for me.

I've got enough power (saz-3000) so I don't need a large box for efficiency reasons, I'm thinking I wouldn't need to tune that low either. I listen to mostly metal/rock and occasionally some oldschool hiphop, so I think these 18's will give me than enough lows for what I want no matter what. I might do the occasional demo or show next year so a bit peaky won't hurt my feelings.

That being said what do you guys think? I'm going to get an email into Mike but I heard he is on vacation or something of the like. Box will be aero's so tuning can be easily changed, I kinda want to nail down the size a little though.

Sure wish oxsign was close, would love to hear how that small box at 34hz sounds in person. Sure seems to get loud on the mic :)

try the box on the website, maybe tune it higher, say 32-34hz. i'd honestly say anywhere from 5-7 @ 32-34 would be a pretty damn decent all around enclosure for an 18.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

try the box on the website, maybe tune it higher, say 32-34hz. i'd honestly say anywhere from 5-7 @ 32-34 would be a pretty damn decent all around enclosure for an 18.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thanks for the reply! Maybe a 12ft for em both and with the aero's I can test around 32 to 34 and see what I like. I can always take up internal space and bring the box volume down for testing too.

...mental masterbation at this point, still gotta deaden and order batteries, but trying to get an idea on what I can do.

Going to have a great deal of output either way. I know what my single RL-p 12 can do, so....

Going to have a great deal of output either way. I know what my single RL-p 12 can do, so....

My rpl12 sealed was tasty for sure :)

Just trying to go a little overboard on this one...

Although I want to go with a bigger box (and will eventually), I am very happy with the small box I have mine in right now. It's currently tuned to 34hz, and that seems to be doing good for me. It is a little "peaky", but it also gets very loud while maintaining great SQ. fing05.gif

7-10 cubes per...

They will have wicked low end

See not so much lookin for wicked low end, plus with 1500w per driver I don't want it reaching its mechanical limits to easily.

I wonder why people recommend up to 10 cubes when mike advises 5 at 27hz on the site. I'm guessin I don't dig on the lows as much as others.

Edited by duece212

I dont see why mike reccomends 5 cubes either.

5 sealed is great, but 5 ported is choking the damn thing.

Ive got the first tc9 18 ever made ( Pre SS RL-p 18) and those specfications are far from what I receved as optimal.

See not so much lookin for wicked low end, plus with 1500w per driver I don't want it reaching its mechanical limits to easily.

I wonder why people recommend up to 10 cubes when mike advises 5 at 27hz on the site. I'm guessin I don't dig on the lows as much as others.

For the sound your trying to acheve, you'll be very happy with 5-6 cubes each.

7-10 cubes per...

They will have wicked low end

Wish I could fit that in my trunk :(

5 cubes sealed has some wicked low end and gets plenty loud. I pulled off a 140.1 @ 36 Hz in a trunk setup on an RF 3k1 (gains set conservatively) with that sized sealed enclosure. Got pretty loud IMO on music, though it lacked some of the upper frequencies. The 30's and 40's Hz range is where it really shined. And if you want ish to flex, play Bass I Love You and watch for that 15Hz note....my door panels came towards me a good half inch to an inch.