Sign in to follow this  
niqnak

302's (edit: 307's)

the 302's are one of the component sets im lookin at, just have a few questions. whats the mounting depth on them?

and i think i remember reading somewhere that it said the 302's need custom kickpanels and such, is this true?

or will they go into my stock kickpanels i have a 1990 bmw 325is so the stock locations are down in the kickpanels but they arent angled they are flush with the side.

thanks,

nick

edit: where it says 302 i mean 307.

Edited by niqnak

The 302's have been discontinued.

The only sets currently offered are the 307's and 327's. Sorry.

The 307 and 327 comps are more suited for kick-panel installs. The 302s were specifically designed for door installs and door installs ONLY.

K-mart is correct though, they have been discontinued. SI is going to stick to extremely high end comp sets only for a while.

doh, i meant 307 :thud:

If they are flush to the side, which means putting them off-axis then they will do okay as long as you use some EQ on the ~3k area to make up for the off-axis roll-off.

The 307 and 327 comps are more suited for kick-panel installs.

But installing them in the doors or in the dash won`t mean they`ll sound bad at all I hope... Concidering to sell my Boston PRO 6.5 comps and throw in the 327. Guess they`ll go nicely along with the two SI 8" I`m also planning on buying.

My SI 12" D2 feels so lonely without its family members, hehe :D

Ought to be a good start for a decent system :)

I, for one would never ever ever ever ever put 307's in my car....I wouldn't build kicks for them...I wouldn't sand on the kicks for a week straight in a dorm laundry room until I couldn't breathe....and I surely wouldn't wet-sand primer until I could see my reflection before even paining them. You're much better off with some type R's yo. :)

But yeah, seriously though....307's are great. I have 'em mated with a D2 12 and they are just the best of buds. :)

I, for one would never ever ever ever ever put 307's in my car....I wouldn't build kicks for them...I wouldn't sand on the kicks for a week straight in a dorm laundry room until I couldn't breathe....and I surely wouldn't wet-sand primer until I could see my reflection before even paining them. You're much better off with some type R's yo. :)

But yeah, seriously though....307's are great. I have 'em mated with a D2 12 and they are just the best of buds. :)

and i, for one, would never throw a pair of dress shoes against the wall of said laundry room while you did said projects ;)

well i was looking at the 307's and diamond audio hex's, the 6.5's. they only have a mounting depth of like 2 1/8 inch so i think imma end up going with them.

If mounting depth was your deciding factor...I know you haven't heard the 307's. :( Mounting depth on the 307's is 2.1". Mounting depth on the 327's is 2.3".

If mounting depth was your deciding factor...I know you haven't heard the 307's. :(   Mounting depth on the 307's is 2.1".  Mounting depth on the 327's is 2.3".
well i was looking at the 307's and diamond audio hex's, the 6.5's. they only have a mounting depth of like 2 1/8 inch so i think imma end up going with them.

2 1/8 inch works out to be 2.1"... they are going to be the same mounting depth, so dont let that be a deciding factor ;)

i say go with the 307's, they sound amazingly great :)

Edited by hoss

mounting depth is definately not the deciding factor, i worded my last post wrong i was just trying to make a comparison to the other speakers that i looked at. i really want to hear the 307's and the mag for that matter. u wouldnt by any chance be going to the big meet in jupiter, fl in august would u?

and would the 307's do well in my kick panels flush with the side, not at an angle?

Edited by niqnak

I have some Diamond Audio Hex comps and love them. though I do say I bought them before I heard about the 307/327s. If I were to buy some, after loving the quality of my Mag. I would go with the SI comps.

in fact I am considering getting some 327s.

327's are too expensive for my pocket, and the 307's are like 45 dollars more than the 6.5" hex's so i really want to hear the 307's.

I'd almost bet the 45 extra that it costs that the 307's will outshine the Hex's....but then again I've never heard the Hex's....pure speculation here. :)

anyone live around Nashville TN.

I can let you check out the Hex/Magnum combo. I have a set of Hex components and a Mag 15. only have 600 watts on the Mag right now, and 150 to each channel of Hex's.

by the way: I just found my newest favorite cd to listen to in my car. It is the new Widespread Panic accoustic cd. and the sound quality is awesome and the Hex/Mag combo just sounds outstanding with this disc cranked. (I don't listen to rap much at all, mainly jambands).

I'd almost bet the 45 extra that it costs that the 307's will outshine the Hex's....but then again I've never heard the Hex's....pure speculation here. :)

We did have a customer switch out Focal Utopias for 307s I do believe.

After having read the links in this thread I suddenly feel I can manage to build me some decent kickpanels.

Think I`ll stick to this method. Any opinions of why I should/shouldn`t use this method?

The question that then arises is ofcource; If I go ahead and build kicks for a pair of 327`s, whats the optimum volume to install them in?

Planning on building a test pair for my BA PRO 6.5 now and see how it works out, and if all is good I`ll just replace them with the 327`s. Tweeter mounted in A-pole or on dash ofcource. As for staging I plan to aim the elements at a point between the front seats, shoulder height.

Any pointers on that?

Edited by Jalla

We did have a customer switch out Focal Utopias for 307s I do believe.

did you ever hear back from him?

if so, what did he say? i currently have some utopias paired with a 15 mag but i'm very interested in the SI comps any info would be appreciated.

I would love to read a comparison... as I have 165w... or maybe after I install the new items for my car.... I will just buy some and get my 30 day money back guarantee.. you do that right Nick? :P:D