soundmekanixdan

I need ideas for a badass bass race system

Just looking to get some ideas for a killer bass race system. The system will be going into a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT. I really want to do something crazy. I'd really like to do 12 x 15's sealed - but not sure if i have the room (about 42"H x 42" W x 53"L - is about what i have to work with)....so if anyone has ideas of how to fit the 12 x 15's in there let me know.....other ideas are also welcome.....looking at Fi SSD's and Ascendant Arsenals if i'm going with a lot of subs.....also looking at 4 x 18" BL's or Ascendant Havocs. Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any other ideas - dont have a whole lot to spend either.

I really want to do something crazy. I'd really like to do 12 x 15's sealed - .....looking at Fi SSD's and Ascendant Arsenals if i'm going with a lot of subs.....dont have a whole lot to spend either.

huh?

What is your budget looking like? A few larger subs would be less expensive. What about 18" SSDs? How much power do you have on tap, or what would your charging system look like?

i just have to get my stereo equipment only credit card down lol, i should have worded my first post differently, what i meant to say is that I dont want to spend more than i have to - basically looking at lower level subs, rather than the BTL or something. Its looking more and more like 12 x 15in Fi SSD's or Ascendant Arsenals.

(4) BL 18's with cooling and flatwind = $1476.

You have enough room to port them too. . .

Brian

Just an FYI on enclosures and number of drivers. One competitor that did not understand the relationship between the box and the drivers put 40 8" subs in his Probe. yes they fit, but he could not understand why he could not get a SPL of over 139 with the power he had and the number of drivers. He also kept wondering why people with 2 or 4 12" or 15" subs could pull much higher SPL numbers. Multiple people tried to explain that a mid quality sub in a perfectly designed and mapped out enclosure will out perform an excellent sub in an enclosure that is too small or too big.

So.. Here's the short version, go with fewer subs in the correct enclosures that match the power you are using to achieve maximum excursion and therefore maximum SPL. Trust the multiple opinions on this board, some of us have been competing for a long time and have seen a wall of subs get blown away by 4 12" subs.

Go with 4 subs in a really well engineered enclosure with a good amp (I even know someone selling a JL 1000/1 pretty cheap :D )

I hope this helps,

Bob

First of all, not going for spl here - its purely for show, and bass racing/daily groundpounding. M5 - definitely no need to start throwing insults out there. I've got my reasons for wanting to do a system like this - no reason to insult me - you have no idea what i do or dont understand. I had 8 x 12's in a focus 4dr - sucked on the meter but it street beat like a mofo - and i always had people crowded around my car at shows - even though there were lots of cars with fewer woofers that were louder.

-shrug-

Never said i was doing 12 x 15's for sure anyway - just that its an option i'm looking into.

I appreciate the advice on using less subs etc.....and i realize that with 12 x 15's wouldnt be the optimal choice for spl/output -

Edited by ShawnFleming

Dan, I loved the q's in the setup I had at finals. Im upgrading to 4 6500's now (or 4 or 8 of something else if i can find something reliable that wont break the bank) So im getting rid of the Q's I have now to get new ones, Since i have the wrong VC's and I cant bring myself to rip apart 8 brand new subs

Ok, thats cleaned up. Lets keep it civil guys.

that wasn't really necessary, it is and has been civil.

I was asked to do it, so I did, your post were not the only post that were deleted, some of the thread starters post were deleted as well.

Ive had good luck with my 5 nsb 125's (with a 10 min full tilt demo i never see below 12v with the 2 6500's and a SS 10.0) but they can be pricey

Id say Some Kinetik 2400's, Powermaster 3100's would probably be the best "bang for the buck" if you could get a deal on them

Actually, the Kinetik 2400's and Powermaster 3100's were the 2 batteries i have it narrowed down to. I'm hoping to be able to afford a powermaster alt later on in the season too.

I was asked to do it, so I did, your post were not the only post that were deleted, some of the thread starters post were deleted as well.

I almost put them back, the information you removed was necessary as the OP still hasn't figured out the real solution nor was what I posted offensive. IMO as a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to have someone competing (whether in bass race or something else) and putting up really small scores based on the fact that they have all sorts of cramped drivers. Having tons of drivers and 4 big amps in a space that really shouldn't have anywhere near is much is a waste.

I almost put them back, the information you removed was necessary as the OP still hasn't figured out the real solution nor was what I posted offensive. IMO as a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to have someone competing (whether in bass race or something else) and putting up really small scores based on the fact that they have all sorts of cramped drivers. Having tons of drivers and 4 big amps in a space that really shouldn't have anywhere near is much is a waste.

What exactly is a small number to you? Apparently you've built this exact system and know exactly what it will do - not to sound rude.