Sign in to follow this  
Jalla

SI 327's vs RE XXX comps

As the topic states; anyone heard both systems or have any opinions or educated guesses on these? No doubt th 327's are awesome, but I for one miss the specks, T/S params and such on them.

Probably gonna go with the 327*s anyway though, pure SI all over :D

Any advice on where to aim the mids in kickpanels, min. volume of the kicks and such?

Not one of you audiophiles got a suggestion on this?

Will the 327 be suited for a kick mounted mid and dash mounted tweeter?

And whats the recommended volume for the mids?

You can separate the mid and tweet if you want, but it's not necessary.

Recommended volume is anything you can put them in. Hopefully larger than 0.05 cubes.

As the topic states; anyone heard both systems or have any opinions or educated guesses on these? No doubt th 327's are awesome, but I for one miss the specks, T/S params and such on them.

Probably gonna go with the 327*s anyway though, pure SI all over :D

Any advice on where to aim the mids in kickpanels, min. volume of the kicks and such?

Nick (and maybe Jake?) are the only ones that have heard the 327's and I know that nearly as few people have heard the XXX's...........

So a comparison is very very tough to make.....

I'll have my 327's, the only set that i know of that's out right now, in soon, with any luck.........i'll let you guys know...

Thanks alot guys :)

0,05 cubes is no prob.

Nick; Expect an order for a 327 to be vikingized :D

Edited by Jalla

Thanks alot guys :)

0,05 cubes is no prob.

Nick; Expect an order for a 327 to be vikingized :D

Try to get a bit more than 0.05 cubes if you can, hehe. As large as 0.25 is good for the mid and will drop the F3 by 30Hz compared to 0.05 ft^3. If you can get 0.15 ft^3 and heavily stuff it that would be a happy medium.

As an FYI, that midrange will run great IB as well. Or if you planned on any sort of fancy aperiodic venting, that would work too.

Hehe, I think I`ll manage to squeeze a good 0.28 before driver displacement.

And if I stuff it ~50% full of sheep wool I`d get a fair bit of damping and increace of the volume as seen by the driver right?

This is my firs kickpanel install, but I`ve done a fair bit of reading on the subject and think I can pull it off with some kind of style.

Symmetry, symetry, symmetry and aiming, aiming, aiming hehe :D

Sanding and polishing is a pain in the rear end, but needs to be done properly.

And I think a black pearlescence paint would do the trick :)

How does one install a kickpanel mounted driver IB? That one I`d like to explore some more....

Going to feed the 327`s 2x200 FTC W from a Planet Audio P-704.

My boston pro 6.5 & 4.5 comps can`t handle that much, but I bet the 327`s will give it a fair run for the money :D

Some of the SQ comp nuts will cut out into their fender wells and do an aperiodic membrane, which is approaching IB. I've experienced the mid installed in a door truly IB and it worked well there too with some EQ on the top end to make up for being off-axis.

And yes, your stuffing method sounds fine. A 50/50 mixture of polyfill and fiberglass insulation does a great job too!

The 327 mid can thermally handle 150 watts RMS for quite a while. Mechanically you'll hit limits sooner than that depending on x-over frequency. I used a Linear Power 2.2HV on the mid to try it out and it handled it quite well with a 63 Hz crossover.

Edited by sundownz

I think I'll let the IB idea rest for now, but hey, who knows what the future brings...

I'll probably go for a X-over frequency at 80 Hz, using the amp for the comps and HU for the sub.

Anyway my ears will fall off way before the comps fail from wattage absue I'm afraid. - Besides it's not nice to rape your system :P

Having total controll on the other hand is never a bad idea :)

P.S a pic of the comps in profile and of the X-over boards (apparently these are quite insane) would've been nice :D