Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

New BM information

As most of you may know, the BM's are going ultra-shallow! Ultra-shallow being 3.5" for a 12" model. The new BM will be offered in a 12" only with dual 4 Ohm coils. Enclosure sizes are 0.75 cubes sealed and 1.5 cubes ported. Power handling will be 500 watts RMS.

That's all the information I'll let out for now, but here is a picture of the basket we are going to use (and before anyone asks, this may or may not be the color of the basket :))

NewBMbasket%20copy.jpg

This is the basket only, the finished driver will look much better due to the plate on the back and all the soft parts installed.

Looks good.

thats really hot.

this could replace the sundowns im planning on getting after i run them for a while :) yum

Kinda looks like the brake drum off my Ranger :drink40: :drink40:

Only it will sound better :)

I asked this about the big basket proto BMs, but since it's a new design, I have to ask again:

Will these BMs sound better in a sealed enclosure compared to the old BMs, which Electrodynamic actually recommended not putting in a sealed box? I actually wanted the big basket BMs when you said it would be better in a sealed box, but the mounting depth sucked. So I got over those, but now, it's a different story again.

If you answer yes, then I'm stuck with the deciding between a single XBL^2 Mag or a pair of shallow BMs.

Edited by king alpha

The new BM's will be super-happy in sealed enclosures. They will perform extremely well in 0.75 cubes sealed. The new BM's are a complete new, unique driver - its only similarity to the prototype driver that we are not making is power handling...but that's about it. :)

But yes, they will slaughter the previous model of BM's in a sealed alignment.

I have 1000 wrms to spare at either 2 or 1 ohm(Arc Audio KS1000.1). I initially wanted to get two new Mags, and I am very excited about the new technologies utilized. Now I am thinking, that I may not be able to push Mags properly with that power. I basicly wondering if the new BM's will have comparable SQ and output to the Mags given same power. I see that BM's will have XBL^2, but will they have a shorting ring as well? Is it possible to list the things that make the new Mag better than the new BM, as I am curuious, and this would make my decision easier. Other than more power handling, I find it hard to compare the two. I am planning to get two subs, and seal them. With this configuration, I am wondering if going with two Mags will justify the extra cost. Thanks.

Edited by 1sashenka

Going with new Mag's over new BM's will almost always guarantee better sound quality. The new Mag is our flagship driver and has always out-performed the competition for a true SQ woofer with great SPL abilities.

The new BM's are simply designed for lower power, smaller enclosures, and a LOT shallower mounting depth. Great SQ will still accompany the BM's, but the Mag is still going to sound better in the proper application. The BM's will work in 0.5 cubes, where as the Mag won't. The new BM's are also a lower power handling driver at 500 watts RMS whereas the new Mags can handle up to 1000 watts RMS. Note that it is power handling - not how much is necessary to get good performance.

When the prototypes arrive we will do side-by-side SPL testing and listening sessions between the new Mag and old Mag and publish the results complete with power input, box size, tuning frequency when ported, etc. And the same goes for the BM's.

How soon until these subs will be done? I'm so glad you're designing a shallow mount 12" sub! I was headed towards being stuck with a pioneer, kicker or sq10 by edesigns. Do you have a price estimate yet and will early adopters get a discount?

An early price estimate hasn't been released yet. When we get the prototype in (should be within this month) we will publish preliminary pricing.

Trust me, information will come ASAP!! We won't keep you guys in the dark. :)

Only it will sound better :)

hopefully alot better than the drums off my ranger, all i get out of them is a squeal :madrofl:

No new updates as of now. I am going over to China in mid March to visit the build houses that we are using. When I return I will bring back with me the finished, final, Mag. I will also bring back the proto BM (and hopefully the final BM). Stay tuned to the forum for more udpates!

PS: I'll be writing an article with pictures of my experience over in China. I'll be visiting other build houses besides the one's we are using too - mainly Tang Band. For those of you who don't know - TB even makes their own glue! They make EVERYTHING themselves. It should be a really cool experience.

Awesome, can't wait! I didn't know they even made their own glue, always have been a big fan of tang band.

Enjoy your trip and maybe leave early? Really want to try out some new si products, lol.

PS: I'll be writing an article with pictures of my experience over in China. I'll be visiting other build houses besides the one's we are using too - mainly Tang Band. For those of you who don't know - TB even makes their own glue! They make EVERYTHING themselves. It should be a really cool experience.

Reminds me of the case study we did in Operations Management with YKK, (the world's largest producer of zippers :D) 100% in house, right down to the brass and cloth :cookiemonster:

Hey, out of curiosity, are the BM's no longer recommended for ported use? In the official BM thread you made the other day there is no size listed, so I'm not sure if you just haven't had enough time with it or if it's no good in that alignment. The sealed size in that thread is different from this thread so I assume the driver's undergone some changes.

I was originally thinking of running one mag, but at 0.5 sealed I could fit two BM's in easily. Decisions, decisions... =)