Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Click to learn about the new Mag

Some of you have seen pics or drawing of the new Mag's basket and read about its shallow 5.5" of mounting depth. You might have also heard about the super-small enclosure requirements.

As much as I love my current Mag 12's, and love beating the absolute piss out of them, I have also given a lot of though as to the design in general. The current Mag (the one's we are sold out of) are a decently efficient, are extremely versitile, and have the ability to soak up a LOT of power. That last sentence has a key word in it - soak. I can count on one hand how many times I have bottomed out my pair of Mag's with a 3200 watt amplifier, two big batteries, and an HO alt. And even then, I did it on purpose.

Now, I want everyone that has downloaded a copy of WinISD (can be downloaded for free at www.linearteam.org) to do the following: Load any 12" subwoofer and put it in 1 cubic foot sealed. Put the input signal at 1000 watts. Pull down the toolbar and take a look at excursion. You won't see the excursion plot go over 38/40mm of total travel. ...yes I used WinISD, but I used it because it is free and it works very well to show cone excursion per given application.

What people are failing to realize with most super-subs is that they are paying for something that will never use. Sure you might have 27-30mm of one-way travel, but how much of you are actually using that travel? Also, how much power does it take to get to 54-60mm of total trave in 1 cubic foot sealed? Do the homework in WinISD and you'll be very surprised.

That is why the new Mag's and BM's have been totally re-designed. In practical applications, you aren't getting your 12" subwoofer to move over 20mm one-way with 1000 watts in 1 cubic foot. So why pay for all that extra weight and inefficiency if you don't have to? Not to mention the fact that a "super-sub" is almost always 6.75" or more deep.

I have attached a screen shot of the excursion plots for the JL 12W7 and the current SI Mag 12 (the one's we are sold out of) in 1 ft^3 sealed with 1000 watts of input. The JL is the yellow plot, the Mag is the orange plot. Notice how much cone excursion is going on above 20 Hz. :)

ExcPlotscopy.jpg

The verticle plane is total excursion in milimeters and the horizontal plane is frequency.

And even those drivers with 20+mm of Xmax are less linear than most XBL^2 drivers.

I don't think you need to hype the new Mag anymore...we're sufficiently teased! ;)

well i learned something today!

my question would be, If you have the room for a larger than 1cuft and perhaps a vented enclosure, would the new Mag still be the right choice?

well i learned something today!

my question would be, If you have the room for a larger than 1cuft and perhaps a vented enclosure, would the new Mag still be the right choice?

If you have an enclosure larger than 1 ft^3, a Mag is still the right choice if you're after a subwoofer with phenomenal SQ and great output. Power handling will go down a tiny bit every time to go larger and larger over the target box volume (which is the way it is for any sealed alignment). The Mag will also work extremely well in small-to-medium sized vented alignments.

The other thing to consider is that even though I demonstrated the Mag in 1 ft^3, its .707 alignment is in less than 1 ft^3, so you could use two Mag's in the same space as one other driver.

And they get better every time.

What people are failing to realize with most super-subs is that they are paying for something that will never use. Sure you might have 27-30mm of one-way travel, but how much of you are actually using that travel?

I've done this with WinISD numerous times out of sheer boredom. I remember getting upwards of 6.5kW of power on a few models, fun times

I've done this with WinISD numerous times out of sheer boredom. I remember getting upwards of 6.5kW of power on a few models, fun times

Exactly. I'll post more fun graphs later this week. :)

Oh, I'll post up ported excursion plots with certain input power also.

IB?

new BM or Mag to clarify...

The new BM's and the new Mag's can be used IB. But as you know, power handling goes WAY down when using them IB. I would only use the new Mag's for IB if you were dead-set on that alignment due to how low the power handling would be on the BM's when IB'd. But then again, if you were only shoving a couple hundred watts to each BM you could use them.

IB?

new BM or Mag to clarify...

The new BM's and the new Mag's can be used IB. But as you know, power handling goes WAY down when using them IB. I would only use the new Mag's for IB if you were dead-set on that alignment due to how low the power handling would be on the BM's when IB'd. But then again, if you were only shoving a couple hundred watts to each BM you could use them.

200 watts per driver IB??? Seems awfully unnecessary to me. What's the qts. looking like?

Qts is going to be in the mid 0.4's. 200 watts per driver IB would over a bit overkill, but we'll see when we start testing more.

RE Audio XXX 18

9 cu. ft. @ 34 Hz

SSF'd @ 29Hz

reaudioxxx18.jpg

Fi BTL 18

6.5 cu. ft. @ 35Hz

SSF'd @ 30Hz

fibtl18.jpg

Edited by Penguin4x4

^ Exactly. 9 cubes and 6 cubes. Massive massive massive boxes with a TON of power!!!

Here are the graphs of ported cone excursion for the 12W7 in its recommended 1.75 ft^3 enclosure with 1000 watts and the new Mag in 1.5 ft^3 with 1000 watts.

MagJLportedcopy.jpg

Cone excursion goes over 40mm total when you get about 10 Hz below tuning (you should have a subsonic filter on your system with a ported enclosure to avoid sending your system something that low anyway).

Here is the graph of the same thing but with 800 watts:

MagJLport800wc.jpg

Notice the similarities and differences? Note that excursion only becomes an issue below tuning. At/above tuning, both drivers are moving less than 32mm total with 1000 watts.

:)

Now why spend all the extra money and have all that extra weight for something that you're never going to use (ie. 30+mm of one way excursion)? Not to mention that the Mag is still going to hold its T/S's more constant and have less distortion and lower inductance than a driver that can do 25+mm one-way anyway.

I clicked and I learned. :)

^ Exactly. 9 cubes and 6 cubes. Massive massive massive boxes with a TON of power!!!

Here is the graph of cone excursion for the 12W7 in its recommended 1.75 ft^3 enclosure with 1000 watts and the new Mag in 1.5 ft^3 with 1000 watts.

MagJLportedcopy.jpg

Cone excursion goes over 40mm total when you get about 10 Hz below tuning (you should have a subsonic filter on your system with a ported enclosure to avoid sending your system something that low anyway).

Here is the graph of the same thing but with 800 watts:

MagJLport800wc.jpg

Notice the similarities and differences? Note that excursion only becomes an issue below tuning. At/above tuning, both drivers are moving less than 32mm total with 1000 watts.

:)

Now why spend all the extra money and have all that extra weight for something that you're never going to use (ie. 30+mm of one way excursion)? Not to mention that the Mag is still going to hold its T/S's more constant and have less distortion and lower inductance than a driver that can do 25+mm one-way anyway.

are these vented or still sealed?

Edited by adio

The first graph in this thread is sealed and the second and third graphs (the ones you posted) are ported. I edited my post to reflect that the graphs are ported (thanks for pointing it out). :)

This is all nonsense. Pure marketing fluff from an unreliable source.

Just kidding, when can I get my hands on one?

Sounds like a plan Nick, can't wait to hear one.

This is all nonsense. Pure marketing fluff from an unreliable source.

Just kidding, when can I get my hands on one?

Sounds like a plan Nick, can't wait to hear one.

Haha, soon man....soon.

Any thoughts of keeping the current Mag as a different subwoofer?

At this point, no. The new Mag can do everything the current Mag can do except better...except soak up an overabundance of power. The new Mag's just won't handle 1800+ watts like the current Mag's do...because it's not needed.

what are the minimum ported enclosure sizes for both the 12" and 15" mags, both new and old versions??

what are the minimum ported enclosure sizes for both the 12" and 15" mags, both new and old versions??

The new Mag's are only going to be available in a 12" size. Minimum is looking to be 1.37 ft^3 (although we will publish recommended) and recommended ported enclosure volume is looking to be 1.5 ft^3.

Ported enclosure specs for the current Mag 12 and 15 can still be found on our web page: http://www.stereointegrity.com/mag.php