Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Click to learn about the new Mag

The day-of receiving is reserved for our reps. :D

So spill the beans to the reps.

**Nick**

I was just wondering whether you could make a summary of the technology used in the new mag plz...

If I remember correctly:

- XBL^2

- shorting ring

- shallow mount 5.5"

- copper-coated pole piece

- 1000RMS

- 0.8-1.0sealed // 1.5ported

What else? Tall surround to increase sd?

**Nick**

I was just wondering whether you could make a summary of the technology used in the new mag plz...

If I remember correctly:

- XBL^2

- shorting ring

- shallow mount 5.5"

- copper-coated pole piece

- 1000RMS

- 0.8-1.0sealed // 1.5ported

What else? Tall surround to increase sd?

Nope, no tall surround to increase sd. It's not worth it. Linearity of tall surrounds suck and I'm not willing to sacrifice that much non-linearity just to gain a hairs bredth more sd. In the long run, it really doesn't matter if you have 2 more square inches than the other guy...especially when it comes to the sound quality of the driver. The foam surround we are using on the Mag is very linear and very durable...and of course improved over the previous model.

But yes to everything else you listed. You hit the nail on the head with the list you posted. The driver is also going to weigh about 1/2 what the previous generation did. Look to see the new Mag weighing in at about 18-20 lbs. That's a big difference compared to 30-32 lbs.

I would bet that the new Mag may even be useful as a large format mid-bass / sub-bass driver for home setups with it's incredibly low inductance :)

That would be sick. I've heard of some people using 12"s that have enough range as midbasses in a 3-way setup. That would be insane output.

I'm trying to talk Nick into using 12" Mags as midbass drivers in the doors of his civic. ;)

Might need a bit of fiberglass work to make that happen though.

So, let me get this all straight Nick.

Same Output as a Current Mag but with a smaller box? Sounds like a winner to me bro...1.5 ported on the 12 will be very nice if they truly have the output of the current 12s.

So, let me get this all straight Nick.

Same Output as a Current Mag but with a smaller box? Sounds like a winner to me bro...1.5 ported on the 12 will be very nice if they truly have the output of the current 12s.

In the same size box and power, yes. Now, the new Mag's are going to be more enclosure specific. They won't hold over 1000 watts in larger enclosures like the current/previous Mag's can. But in 1 cube sealed and 1.5 cubes ported, output should shape up to be on par with the current mag in the same box.

Any plans on offering it as a 10?

So if I get it right; the subwoofers will be 12" dual 2 ohm...?

Please correct me if I am wrong, cause I am going to order amplifiers, so I need to know if the ohmage is right...

The new Mag's will be available as a 12" only and will be dual 2 Ohm only. There are plenty of amplifiers out there that do 750-1000 watts at 1 Ohm and/or 1500-2000 watts at 2 Ohm (for a pair or Mags), and with the mounting depth shrunken to 5.5" the new 12" Mag's are going to be able to fit in places the old Mag's couldn't.

Look to see the new Mag weighing in at about 18-20 lbs. That's a big difference compared to 30-32 lbs.

Holy Crap... that's light! Do you think we could get a comparison to an IDMAX D2, in terms of LFE ~under 50Hz (since we already know that it will be a better SQ sub with lower distortion)?

Yep, I plan on having a group of subs to measure and test against the new Mag once the proto arrives. :) But LFE should be the same as the current Mag, so by the numbers it should dive lower or have a similar F3 to the ID MAX.

I really can't wait for these subs, I will definitely replace my BMs with one or 2 of them, I just want my cargo room back.

Okay thanks for ansering... I have one final (and probably stupid) question;

Will this new subwoofer be suited for all kinds of music? I mean not just for Hip Hop and R&B (no offence guys & girls), but also for Techno and Trance (which requires a quick subwoofer with some good punch) even when sealed (trunkspace is very mediocre)?

I previously owned 2x RE XXX (the old model) and man... They sound friggin' great on a RF 1501BD (old Rockford amp) in a sealed box.

I now own 2 x 12" SoundSplinter RL-p's, but they make me miss the XXX's even when being powered by 2 x JL Audio 1000/1 amplifiers. :( They just don't sound the way I like them to... And yes, I have tried several different boxes as well (even ported = burps)...

Also since the subwoofers have almost no depth at all (compared to regular subwoofers), I am thinking about getting 3 or 4 of these baby's (if I can afford it of course) powered by 2 linked Sundown Audio amplifiers (2x SAZ-1500D).

Let me know and thanks for your time (once again)

Will this new subwoofer be suited for all kinds of music? I mean not just for Hip Hop and R&B (no offence guys & girls), but also for Techno and Trance (which requires a quick subwoofer with some good punch) even when sealed (trunkspace is very mediocre)?

Well it doesn't surprise me that the SS's don't add up to the XXX's. The new Mags are going to sound better than the current Mag's and do it in slightly smaller boxes. They'll keep up with everything you can throw at them. You won't have to worry about them only sounding good on certain types of music because if the new Mag doesn't keep up, then your program material is messed up to begin with. ;)

I'll give you my listening impressions (Jacob from Sundown is going to be there also) when I get the prototype in, but I'm anticipating my impressions being better than the current Mag.

And yeah, in 1 cube sealed you can fit 3 new Mag's in the space you can fit two other 12's...and you'll still be lighter with 3 Mag's vs. two other 12's. :)

We do have an anechoic frequency response of the Mag and it's impressive to say the least. Upper-frequency extension is un-heard-of for a higher power handling, high-stroke, superwoofer...which means that it will blend sooooo well with your front stage. I can't wait until it gets here!!

PS: I'll publish the graph pretty soon. Look for it on AudioJunkies also.

i've been getting lazy and just looked through this thread....do me a favor and get some proto pics and some t/s parameters...i didn't think i wanted to spend anymore money on my car set-up until i read this...maybe i'll have to get rid of the brahma or put it in a HT set-up

any idea of the date the protos will be in?

i am very interested in seeing the t/s params

Well it doesn't surprise me that the SS's don't add up to the XXX's. The new Mags are going to sound better than the current Mag's and do it in slightly smaller boxes. They'll keep up with everything you can throw at them. You won't have to worry about them only sounding good on certain types of music because if the new Mag doesn't keep up, then your program material is messed up to begin with. ;)

I'll give you my listening impressions (Jacob from Sundown is going to be there also) when I get the prototype in, but I'm anticipating my impressions being better than the current Mag.

And yeah, in 1 cube sealed you can fit 3 new Mag's in the space you can fit two other 12's...and you'll still be lighter with 3 Mag's vs. two other 12's. :)

We do have an anechoic frequency response of the Mag and it's impressive to say the least. Upper-frequency extension is un-heard-of for a higher power handling, high-stroke, superwoofer...which means that it will blend sooooo well with your front stage. I can't wait until it gets here!!

PS: I'll publish the graph pretty soon. Look for it on AudioJunkies also.

Wow it really sounds sweet. :)

...I am already getting excited. I hope the shipping costs will be good (to the Netherlands) once they arrive. :D

But count me on the bandwagon already. ;)

Some of us are getting tired of waiting, Nick......... :peepwall:

I should have never got rid of my Mag 15, I haven't been happy with anything since that.

I have heard good things about the mags but have never heard them before. Do you think 2 of these new mags could be safely ran off a memphis 1500d at 2 ohms. Dont want to be putting to much power to them.