Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Click to learn about the new Mag

may I ask if you are doing anything special on the face? like a different dustcap style?

Nope, the face will be similar to the current Mag. It will have a "boob" dust cap on it, paper cone, and foam surround with a rubber gasket. It will look slightly different, but will retain the same overall look.

why make a new mag when the last 2 were absolutely perfect and everybody like them and gave them their deepest praise??

Because I've made it better. :) The previous model was a result of my desire to keep improving on an existing design. So far the Mag's have been through 2 substantial revisions. If I would have sat back and left the original design alone, the Mag would have never evolved - it would still use a TC9 motor with a less-than-adequate basket. Every time I've re-designed the Mag it has gotten more efficient, plays a little lower, and sounds a little better. This time is no different.

what is the preferred power handling on the new mags??? (sorry if already stated)

and is there a price point yet?

I am anxious to try one out. May go for a pair of 12's and move my current 15" mag into the house for a HT sub.

what is the preferred power handling on the new mags??? (sorry if already stated)

and is there a price point yet?

I am anxious to try one out. May go for a pair of 12's and move my current 15" mag into the house for a HT sub.

I don't know what the exact ratings will be, but power targets will be 1KW and under.

There is a price point in mind, but I cannot state it yet. It won't be set in stone until production is finalized and actual driver cost is determined. I can say however that it will be very appealing.

Once Nick gives us the okay, we can release some more information.

I really think Nick has hit some strong points on this new driver and they will be more easily attainable for more enjoyment. Remember the Reps when you need to make a purchase or need some info! :drink40:

New Mags are only going to be made in 12" size? Ouch!!! I am deeply dissapointed. I have just sold my not current but a one before version 12" Mag. I have skipped one generation, and was really psyched to get the soon to be released version. All this time I had hoped a 15" will come out soon as well. What I am to do? I so badly wanted a new 15" sealed. I love the Mag, but I am supposed to look for a used current version 15"? Do I have other options? I simply dont want two 12s mainly due to weight and money, and somewhat due to enclosure size.

New Mags are only going to be made in 12" size? Ouch!!! I am deeply dissapointed. I have just sold my not current but a one before version 12" Mag. I have skipped one generation, and was really psyched to get the soon to be released version. All this time I had hoped a 15" will come out soon as well. What I am to do? I so badly wanted a new 15" sealed. I love the Mag, but I am supposed to look for a used current version 15"? Do I have other options? I simply dont want two 12s mainly due to weight and money, and somewhat due to enclosure size.

As of now, there are no plans for 15" drivers. They just don't sell in the numbers the 12s do. Contact Nick; he may still have a few of the 15s left.

We actually do have a few 15" Mag's left.

On the note of two 12's weighing more and taking up more volume - have you read the posts about the new Mag? Two new Mag's are going to weigh less than a single 15" and the two 12's will require a smaller enclosure than a single 15 (which, again, reduces weight due to the smaller enclosure). Two new 12" Mags need 1.5 cubes total. A single 15" Mag needs 2.5 cubes. It's a win-win situation IMO. Less weight, more bass.

how much are they going to weigh?

I'm also extremely interested. I'm looking for a 12" LFE monster to replace my SS RL-p 15" but I need it to be ~30 lbs or less. So far I'm thinking of the older version Mag, AA Avalanche, IDMAX, or OZ ME12. I'm working with up to 1.75 ft3 and 500 - 1000 Watts. I might just hold out for the newer Mag. When is the release date?

Shoot me an email on your total remaining inventory please.

On the note of two 12's weighing more and taking up more volume - have you read the posts about the new Mag? Two new Mag's are going to weigh less than a single 15" and the two 12's will require a smaller enclosure than a single 15 (which, again, reduces weight due to the smaller enclosure). Two new 12" Mags need 1.5 cubes total. A single 15" Mag needs 2.5 cubes. It's a win-win situation IMO. Less weight, more bass.

I have around 1200 wrms at 1 ohm at my disposal. I had my 12" Mag ported in 3 cubes at 32 hz. I ran it at 4 ohms at around 850 wrms, and it sounded sweet with plenty of output. Then I wired it to 1 ohm at around 1200 wrms, and it sounded just as sweet, but with even more output. I was very happy with the SQ and output.

My question is: If I will get the soon to come out 12" Mag, seal it, and run it with the same amp, will I be able to get similar output, and at what size enclosure? My Mag was not the current version, but the one before. Thanks.

Edited by 1sashenka

A new 12" Mag will not be able to keep up with a 15" Mag. Due to surface area alone the 'battle' was over before it began. A 15" driver will whip the 12" driver in output. Two 12's vs. a single 15" is a much more fair comparisson.

Are you going to have a Canadian dealer/distributor?

Not at this moment, but we are open to the idea. If any Canadian (or other foreign inquiries) are interested in carrying SI all they need to do is contact me (via phone or via email) and I'll get them our distributor requirements.

how much are they going to weigh?

I'm also extremely interested. I'm looking for a 12" LFE monster to replace my SS RL-p 15" but I need it to be ~30 lbs or less. So far I'm thinking of the older version Mag, AA Avalanche, IDMAX, or OZ ME12. I'm working with up to 1.75 ft3 and 500 - 1000 Watts. I might just hold out for the newer Mag. When is the release date?

If you're looking for 30 lbs or less, throw out all the subs you listed above because they are all right at the 30 lb limit. The shipping weight on the previous Mag's, IDMAX, and OZ are all > or = to 30 lbs. The new Mag will be substantially under 30 lbs (no, I'm not releasing weight on something we don't have in our hands yet) and will perform VERY similar to the current Mag with some things (like sound quality) being much better than the current Mag.

Well, if the new Mag in a small enclosure will have the output of the current Mag in it's required big enclosure, you can count me in on the bandwagon already. I am happy with the older Mag output, and as long as can have the same performance with better SQ in a smaller box, I don't think it gets much better than that. Thanks Nick, and I can't wait to get my hands on one. I am still planning to seal it in a most appropriate size box to get full potential out of it, and give it around 1200 watts. My other option is going with two Mags in sealed box at 1000 watts. I think I am more comfortable with one Mag at 1200 though.

Also, more of a comment, but feel free to advise if I am way off on this one. In past experience, I found that on same amp(JL 1000/1) at 1000 wrms or so, I have heard 2x12" Mags, 1x12" Mag, and 1x15" Mag - all in sealed enclosures.

To me it seemed that two 12s were not much louder than one, but the one 15 was loudest. I always thought, that two subs needed more power to work to their full potential. Single 12" worked at full potential sort of speak. Single 15" worked at full potential, and 15s always have higher sensitivity, which jumped it in the lead with same power. So, that is why I wanted a 15", and that's my logic.

Actually, I would like to hear your thoughts on this, Nick. Thanks.

Also, more of a comment, but feel free to advise if I am way off on this one. In past experience, I found that on same amp(JL 1000/1) at 1000 wrms or so, I have heard 2x12" Mags, 1x12" Mag, and 1x15" Mag - all in sealed enclosures.

To me it seemed that two 12s were not much louder than one, but the one 15 was loudest. I always thought, that two subs needed more power to work to their full potential. Single 12" worked at full potential sort of speak. Single 15" worked at full potential, and 15s always have higher sensitivity, which jumped it in the lead with same power. So, that is why I wanted a 15", and that's my logic.

Actually, I would like to hear your thoughts on this, Nick. Thanks.

In theory (and common practice) 2 12's should be 3 dB instantly louder than 1 12 with the same amount of power. Unless the amplifier was cutting power substantially (remember you're going from a 1 Ohm load with one driver to a 1/2 Ohm or 2 Ohm load with a pair) there is no reason you shouldn't have seen an instant increase in output. And a single 15 is going to triumph over a single 12, but it shouldn't be that much louder than dual 12's (unless you're talking about a ported single 15 vs. two 12's sealed - then the 15 should be louder).

I just looked on JL's web page and see that they are claiming 1000 watts from 1.5 Ohms all the way up to 4 Ohms. Interesting.

I have four 15's in the living room of my house and I still loved the output of two 12" Mag's in the Integra - so maybe it was just personal preference with you, who knows. In the same vehicle, multiple drivers can make up for the lack of surface area compared to a single larger driver though. In different vehicles, it's a whole different story.

any new info??? very anxious to hear release date, etc.

I agree, come on Nick, we are dieing for info and pics, can't wait to see the new king of the subwoofer world!

:wtf::ttiwwop:

They're coming. Kinda hard to pics of something we don't have yet. ;) Trust me, pics will be posted a day after we receive the prototype. The day-of receiving is reserved for our reps. :D

:wtf::ttiwwop:

They're coming. Kinda hard to pics of something we don't have yet. ;) Trust me, pics will be posted a day after we receive the prototype. The day-of receiving is reserved for our reps. :D

Yay!! :)