bigcam112

subwoofer wiring

i was wondering what guage wire i have to use on a Fi BL 12" subwoofer to wire it down... im sure there is a technical name for this but all i know to call it is wireing it down to 1 ohm... so the wire i will be using inside of the enclosure to run it to the terminal for power and what guage i will be running to wire off the speaker to 1 ohm.... does it really matter? i have i think 14 guage "speaker wire" maybe it mean that i can use it for everything wired to the speaker but i dont know for sure... any clearing up of this would help a lot... thanks in advance! i will be running a 1600 watt amp BTW

ok good i also had to change my original number it was 16 guage... so 10 is the best?? and i can use it to wire all of the sub? including wiring it down to 1 ohm and to the terminals and to the amp?

man it sucks that after i really look at it my "little" project is something huge... everything needs to be changed... ill give you all the stats so let me know if i need to change anything else while im at it...

12" BL, 1600 Watt amp

Already changed power and ground to 4guage

and now changing speaker wire to 10 guage

anything else i need to change while im at it?

the guy at the shop said all the other wires running to the amp are all fine... whats your opinion?

this is not even on the same topic anymore but what is everyones take on caps? i have a cap now 1farad monster one... if my lights dont dim when i get everything installed even if the amp has more power than the cap there is no reason to upgrade correct?

is there a reason for this? the only thing is, is the fact that my electrical system is soo small in my car they dont even make a aftermarket battery small enough to fit it... and with more power ill be asking quite a few people to get a jump =/

after the first fraction of a second, the cap is just another load on your already weak electrical system

no bigger then 12g is needed for any sub install unless your pushing MASSIVE amounts of power. i know competitors that even went to 4g and gained nothing over 12g.

to the second question, use a second battery in the back and look into a high output alternator. caps are a serious waste of money as acid as pointed out.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

so as far as the extra battery goes... can i just buy any battery? im sure there must be a specialty one just for this application... how is it hooked up? and how much does it cost? if you can post maybe a link to the website so i can just order one that would be great! thanks

anything from a optima yellow top to a batcap800 would work.

also, the batcap800 would work under the hood, but it's not cheap.

i'll get links later.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Once you get over the current the alt can provide, the voltage will start dropping, probably to roughly around 12.8, then as the battery starts discharging, the voltage will start dropping more.