cshaw

to small for ported?

i have a rl-p 15 and built the recommended 3 cubes sealed box for it. sounds great, just not that great of output. ive always had sealed boxes and my last setup 3 10's jl w3's was louder than this lol. had a bit more cone area but anyway you get my point.

since everyone says this sub does better in ported enclosures, i was thinking of just adding 2 4' psp ports tuned to 30hz to the current 3 cube box instead of building a second box like i planned. im not an spl nut at all, i just need something with like (trying not to use the term LSQ here) some sqballs! lol

would 3 cubes ported be to small for a 15?

You have to account for the port displacement in the box. So if your starting off with a 3 cube box, and you add the ports, you'll be at around 2.5ish cubes. That's not saying that it's bad. I had my 15"s in 2.5 tuned to 34hz each, and they loved it.

You have to account for the port displacement in the box. So if your starting off with a 3 cube box, and you add the ports, you'll be at around 2.5ish cubes. That's not saying that it's bad. I had my 15"s in 2.5 tuned to 34hz each, and they loved it.

yeah the box is 3 cubes after sub displacement so after ports, if its to small and sounds weird i could always invert the sub (its in a hatchback! looks sick like that might i add) and turn the box into a crx type deal and gain an extra .2 of space for the ports.

i hear this sub does exceptionally better in ported applications than sealed?

i hear this sub does exceptionally better in ported applications than sealed?

in the future im looking at building a 3.5 ported box at 30 hz. so i hear they sound good in that type of box

Better is a subjective term....

You could do external ports and invert the sub to maximize your space.