Sign in to follow this  
splblazer98

Sundown Audio Nightshade Prototype Test

Well guys yesterday was my last day to test before my truck left to go to it's new home. I had big plans of spending most of the day testing; however, that wasn't in the cards. To begin the day my charger had screwed up sometime in the past few days leaving my batteries partially drained. I apologize in advance for the inadequacy of these results, but from my limited testing I learned quite a bit about this driver.

Sundowntest.jpg

DSCN2292-1.jpg

DSCN2293.jpg

These numbers probably don't mean much to you so let me do some comparision for you. In that same enclosure in the same test vehicle at the same power, note this was on a much colder day, the Nightshade is about .4-.5db louder than the IA DP and at 20hz lower. However the DP really shined when more power was added, as I expect the same thing would happen with the Sundown Nightshade. I hope to get some more testing done on this driver in the coming week if I can locate adequate power to support it.

Edit Also forgot to add one of the most important parts. When I first spoke with Jake about testing this driver he wanted to see a good rms figure and I came to the conclusion that a prolonged period on ~3-4kw would give a good estimate of how much power the coil could soak up and what the cooling would do. I threw 3.5kw on the driver for ~30 seconds @45hz and got a small amount of smell out of the driver ( nothing more than excess glue burn off ) and the dustcap was barely warm to the touch. Also testing the spl before and after that period yielded minimal difference, maybe .1-.2db. For that reason alone I think the driver could take 5-6kw for a burp without worry.

I did spend a bit of time listening to this driver on ~1500 watts with music and was suprised with the sound of the speaker. It played lower music adequately and didn't strain to drop below 40hz. It was however begging for more power.

Again I'm sorry I couldn't do the full work up as I hoped to, hopefully these minor testing results will show you the potential this subwoofer has.

Edited by lilmaniac2

i think i found my next sub

Nice job.

test sounds good

i think i found my next sub

you say that every time hicks tests a driver.

hmm is some1 watching me

if u notice..evertime i say that i end up buying the sub :shrug:

I need to get some play time on my 15 so I can review it. But I won't be able to do all the fancy graphs :(

Yours is different, but was a pretty impressive model as well :) I have another proto motor almost identical to yours, FYI.

Yours is different, but was a pretty impressive model as well :) I have another proto motor almost identical to yours, FYI.

Whats the difference?

Whats the difference?

Quite a few things changed from yours to the model going to production. Yours has a shorter magnet stack and a 4-layer coil as opposed to an 8-layer coil, the top plate and back plate geometry is also different.

Quite a few things changed from yours to the model going to production. Yours has a shorter magnet stack and a 4-layer coil as opposed to an 8-layer coil, the top plate and back plate geometry is also different.

Ah I see. I still have the only one :)

Edited by Grinder1989

Ah I see. I still have the only one :)

Yup. I did get my hands on the other proto motor like yours, the woofer itself was destroyed in shipping but I finally got the motor from it. I may be able to make you another one, although, it won't have that CF dust cap unless you can find one.

Yup. I did get my hands on the other proto motor like yours, the woofer itself was destroyed in shipping but I finally got the motor from it. I may be able to make you another one, although, it won't have that CF dust cap unless you can find one.

Two 15's? Jake your killing me man. I Barely have enough room for one and all the amps and stuff to power it. However I'm interested in the motor, How much? Same exact motor? PM me please :)

Are there any videos of the testing?

I don't think Chad took any videos since his testing was cut short due to low battery voltage.

Sign in to follow this