oxsign

Best way to clean our subs

I'm see that my 18" is getting a little discolored. I was wondering if there is something that I can do to clean them, and help keep them from turning.

its aluminum, so it will oxidize no matter what

SS didnt have the cones clear coated so that is the one setback in not doing so..

Is the clearcoating something that I can do? Would it hurt anything?

Is the clearcoating something that I can do? Would it hurt anything?

The cones are anodized so they shouldn't oxidize much at all, aslong as they were sealed as part of the anodizing process.

I'm guessing its actually sun fade. How much sun does the sub get on a daily basis?

i honestly couldnt see it hurting it to spray a clean coat over it, but then again a little fade woulndt bother me

i honestly couldnt see it hurting it to spray a clean coat over it, but then again a little fade wouldn't bother me
It gets some sunlight. I do have my windows tinted, but it's in the back of my blazer (see sig, lol). I the main reason I was asking is because I just got a second 18" (again, lol) and I was either going to do a wall or big ass box for them. Either way, they are going to be side by side, and you can see a big difference between them.

you don't got tinted windows?
They have the factory tint on them. It's not real dark, but it's also not "see through" either.
how long has it been back there? Wondering how long it took to show fade.
I've had it back there about 8-9mths now.

Tis true that the sun will fade the cones over time, and also that there are slight variances between each production cycle - some cones have a slightly green tint, others slightly blue. To clean the woofer, the best way is to moisten a soft cloth with Armor-All and wipe in concentric circles from the outside edge of the cone towards the center logo. Repeat this process with a soft cloth dampened in regular water. Unfortunately, this is not going to help bring back any color that has faded from sun exposure.

Weren't you planning on trying a bandpass setup at one time? That'd fix the issue. Its a shame to hide such a sexy woofer though...

Weren't you planning on trying a bandpass setup at one time? That'd fix the issue. Its a shame to hide such a sexy woofer though...
I was, but for that reason, I'm not going to. I want them to be seen (as well as heard, lol). It's fun going to shows, and looking at the dumb looks on peoples faces when you say "Sound Splinter", lol. Then you have to educate them a little. :drink40:
Tis true that the sun will fade the cones over time, and also that there are slight variances between each production cycle - some cones have a slightly green tint, others slightly blue. To clean the woofer, the best way is to moisten a soft cloth with Armor-All and wipe in concentric circles from the outside edge of the cone towards the center logo. Repeat this process with a soft cloth dampened in regular water. Unfortunately, this is not going to help bring back any color that has faded from sun exposure.
Thx Mike. I'll give that a try, and we'll see how it turns out. fing05.gif

i honestly couldnt see it hurting it to spray a clean coat over it, but then again a little fade wouldn't bother me
It gets some sunlight. I do have my windows tinted, but it's in the back of my blazer (see sig, lol). I the main reason I was asking is because I just got a second 18" (again, lol) and I was either going to do a wall or big ass box for them. Either way, they are going to be side by side, and you can see a big difference between them.

Invert

nuff said

Or run the discoloured one inverted and the nice one normal.

or have the new one fade for 8-9 months then you'll have matched woofers B)

kiddin'

thought it, but didn't want to be the one to say it. Could be close to matching by summertime :/

Invert is a nice idea. The silver vein baskets on these subs are damn sexy

Edited by duece212