Sign in to follow this  
subwoofery

Amp draw @ 4 ohm and 2 ohm

Hi guyz... Happy New Year, all the best, keep safe and healthy.

On to the topic.

I would like to know if an amp @ 4 ohm pushing 600 watts will draw the same (amperage) as opposed to the same amp pushing 600 watts but at @ 2 ohm (hope that is english lol)

Not sure if it has been answered before.

Thanks for the help.

Kelvin

PS: it is not a JL audio kind of amp that pushes the same power over a wide range of voltage and impedance.

More like 600RMS @ 4 ohm and 1000RMS @ 2 ohm

Edited by subwoofery

1000w is going to draw more current than 600w dude. That's pretty easy to understand. Unless it's two separate amps. Then there might be a difference.

sorry maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

Here are my options:

Using my amp @ 4ohm and pushing 600w to 2 x Rl-i8 D4

Using the exact same amp @ 2ohm and pushing 600w to 2 x Rl-i8 S4.

I know that the second option (@ 2ohm) will give me some headroom but what I want to know is will the 4ohm load be more efficient and draw less current than the 2ohm load pushing the exact same power? or is it the exact same?

the amp is an Audison LRx3.1k

Thanx

I like the first option, because the D4's would give you more potential options in the future, vs. the S4's.

So you want to adjust the gains accordingly to give yourself 600w no matter what the ohm load?

600w is 600w. Especially on the same amp. If it were a Class A/B at 600w @ 2 ohms and a Class D at 600w @ 2 ohms, then the story would be different.

Ohh ok then it should draw the same... Good to know, thanks for your input on this.

ONE OTHER THING DUDE,,,,,,when you hook an amplifier up if it is 600 watts......by your adjusting the gains you aren't getting anymore JUICE DUDE///// you will be adjusting that 600 watts you have if its a quality RMS amplifier.....its does the power ratings contiuously......no matter the gain...and thats a good thing

Ohh ok then it should draw the same... Good to know, thanks for your input on this.

ONE OTHER THING DUDE,,,,,,when you hook an amplifier up if it is 600 watts......by your adjusting the gains you aren't getting anymore JUICE DUDE///// you will be adjusting that 600 watts you have if its a quality RMS amplifier.....its does the power ratings contiuously......no matter the gain...and thats a good thing

No it doesn't. Go read about how amplifiers work plz. kthxbye.

heh... lol

So anyone can give me a correct explaination coz I'm a bit lost right now.

I think that if your headunit sends 5V, then by adjusting my amp to receive 5V I'll have 600w@4ohm and 1000w@2ohm.

Adjusting the gain to a bit less, let's say 6V, then I'll have 700-800w@2ohm.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can use the gain control to limit power.

Because of the higher current involved with 600@2 vs. 600@4 on the outputs, the amp will be less efficient at 2 ohms. The difference probably won't be huge but there will be a difference.