oxsign

Not sure which to go with

OK, I know ported would be most peoples choice, lol. Here's the thing. I can get 8.5cubes if I keep the box below the window & seat line. That is ideally what I would love to have. That would be enough to go sealed with my 2 RL-p 18"s. My problem is, I know how I am with my bass, and I don't know if I'm going to be satisfied with a sealed box. The only way I could do a ported box is by doing a wall. I can get more than 18cubes if I went that way. My problem with that is, I like looking out my back window, lol. Not to mention that in competitions it puts me in a higher class. I don't want that either, lol.

I know I'm being difficult here, but I figured I would ask just to see what you would do, lol. Thx guys, Vic. :lildevil:

What kind of power are you pushing to those things? I have to assume that this is not your first system, so what were you wanting when you got the 18's? Were you wanting to be heard from 12 blocks away, or do you just want a very bass heavy LSQ type system. Those 18's should get very loud sealed with the recommended power, I have an AA Havoc 18 sealed, and it's a low end beast.

I currently have 1 18" RL-p with an Infinity 1200 on it in a 5.2cube box doing a 149. I got another 18" & another matching Infinity. I don't really care about being heard for blocks away, as long as it hurts while sitting in the truck, lol. I'm really going for an LSQ system. I'll be running 2 MLI-65's in each door, 4 RE tweeters, and an 7540a to them. I have an 880 for the head unit as well.

My problem is, I know how I am with my bass, and I don't know if I'm going to be satisfied with a sealed box. The only way I could do a ported box is by doing a wall.

I think you may have just answered your own question...

Of course, you won't know for sure 'til you try it! yingyang.gif

goin through the exact same decision making process. Its a tough call, but I think I'm going to go sealed for my two. I think you might be looking for a different level than I am for output :)

OK, I know ported would be most peoples choice, lol. Here's the thing. I can get 8.5cubes if I keep the box below the window & seat line. That is ideally what I would love to have. That would be enough to go sealed with my 2 RL-p 18"s. My problem is, I know how I am with my bass, and I don't know if I'm going to be satisfied with a sealed box. The only way I could do a ported box is by doing a wall. I can get more than 18cubes if I went that way. My problem with that is, I like looking out my back window, lol. Not to mention that in competitions it puts me in a higher class. I don't want that either, lol.

I know I'm being difficult here, but I figured I would ask just to see what you would do, lol. Thx guys, Vic. :lildevil:

I kind of understand what your going through. I have about a good 11 cubic feet of free trunk space in the center of my 2004 Ford Crown Vic. Thats enought room for a pair of 18" RL-ps sealed, but I kind of want to try ported for the additional output I could do a wall behind the front seats, because I never ride with people in the back, but I like being able to see out my rear window.

I say do the pair sealed, you will still get a good amount of output due to cone surface area, power increase, and its not like the RL-ps are quiet sealed ;)

Edited by tez4life

You may not gain any spl, or you might even lose a little by going sealed, but I think that your bass will definitely tighten up, and sound much better overall.

You may not gain any spl, or you might even lose a little by going sealed, but I think that your bass will definitely tighten up, and sound much better overall.
If I'm going to go through the trouble of adding another 18" & doubling the power, I better see a bit of an improvement in output, lol.

It's hard to say, I havent personally played with an rlp18, and I don't know what kind of gain you get by going ported. My setup only hits 138.5 legal, and that with an AA havoc 18, and an saz-1500 d@1 ohm. If I were to go to 2 18's and double the power, but staying sealed I wouldnt expect more than 6 db in my setup.

If I'm going to go through the trouble of adding another 18" & doubling the power, I better see a bit of an improvement in output, lol.

With what you've attained with one ported, it would be very tempting to see what 2 ported could do. A wall is a big step, but this isn't your daily driver is it?

With what you've attained with one ported, it would be very tempting to see what 2 ported could do. A wall is a big step, but this isn't your daily driver is it?
Unfortunately it is now that I sold the Typhoon.

Thats a cool daily driver man :)

Get good with the mirrors and wall it. Adding all the weight won't cause any problems with the bags will it?

Thats a cool daily driver man :)

Get good with the mirrors and wall it. Adding all the weight won't cause any problems with the bags will it?

Thx, the weight wont be a problem at all. I have RE7's (2600lbs) at all 4 corners, lol. fing05.gif

Vic, do the wall, I dont think you will like sealed for long. Your next thread will read, "Ok, I tried the 2 18's sealed, now I am going to wall them and go ported" :D

Just wall them up the first time and save yourself some trouble :)

Edited by UNIT 6639