SundownAudioNY

Who is using M5A MLI-65's in a 2 way?

Who here is running Mach 5 Audio MLI-65's in a 2 way? What tweeter are you running w/ them and @ what x-over freg? How do you like your MLI-65? Im intrested in purchasing a "few" of these for my bass race van.

Corey

Just pick something that can play as low as possible and it will be a great setup.

i will be! lol i think they would be awesome in a 2 way where someone ist satisfied with the mid bass out of theirs or just add to make a kick ass 3 way!

I've got em in the doors of my saturn, with Morel MT-1 tweets low on the A-pillars facing the driver with brackets that mount about 1" away from the pillar.

Crossing at 2.2k 18db/octave, they sound pretty decent. I've got tons of power going to them and they take it great.

HP at ~60hz 18db/octave and you should be good to go :)

in the zaph test, it is pretty smooth up to about 4.5k, and then a steep drop, which some say allows for playing full range with no problems. there is a slight dip at 2k, but that can be eq'd. The ability to play up that high creates many options for tweeters, as most good ones can go to at least 4k with no problems. Good luck!

Once I get my sound deadening in, I will have them in my daily scooter with SEAS 27T silk tweets.

Once I get my sound deadening in, I will have them in my daily scooter with SEAS 27T silk tweets.

You're not the only one with that setup :cookiemonster:

I would post my thoughts but I didn't have too much time to play with them :(

in the zaph test, it is pretty smooth up to about 4.5k, and then a steep drop, which some say allows for playing full range with no problems.

That's about 10KHz short of where I'd start to consider something marginally "full range" :P

in the zaph test, it is pretty smooth up to about 4.5k, and then a steep drop, which some say allows for playing full range with no problems.

That's about 10KHz short of where I'd start to consider something marginally "full range" :P

I think what he is trying to say is that you don't need to cross them because they have a natural roll off.

I find I actually have to cut 1db at 2-3khz to get rid of a bit of high volume sibilance/sharpness. Could be the tweeters and the relatively low 1.9-2.2khz XO point, could be the woofers, I dunno. Could even be the factory mounting location behind the factory doorpanel. All I know is that I need that cut at higher volumes.

My definition of higher volumes is probably louder than most peoples though ;)

no, I doubt it, but that sharpness has to do with your tweets playing too low. 2.2khz is very very low for tweets. and also the fact that your xover is only 18db slope, not 24 can also allow for a bit more sharpness. try crossing over to more like 3500 hz or 4khz. I just picked ordered a set of the MLI-65's to finish out a set of 3-way components. I plan on playing them as low as possible, like 52 hz- ~130 depending on their sound. Then the Hybrid-audio legatia L4 mids will take over all the way up to about 6200 hz where the Hybrid-Audio Legatia L1's will take over the rest. I noticed someone made the comment about the MLI-65's being xover at 60 hz? why not any lower? did they not sound so great? and how much power you have running to them? I will be running ~115 to them after voltage drop, RMS 140 but no way will get that.

I would suggest two options here - running the MLI's flat out with no crossover and add a tweeter at ~2.5 - 3kHz. If you find it overlaps too much with the tweeter, add a 6dB/oct. crossover (coil/resistor combo or electronic) to tone it down a bit.

Best,

Mark

Yeah, i mean that the rolloff was as such that a crossover may not be needed. :P

Does anybody have *.frd files, *.txt, or high resolution images of the frequency response of the driver along with graphs of the impedance? I'd like to model the drivers up with some crossovers in speaker workshop.

i have mine at 60-3k at 24/db crossover. with mmats tweeter that can ply down to 3000hz. sounds pretty good, i just have to deaden my doors for improved mid bass response and im set!!